• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Zero TD for the first team offense

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can we stop asking questions and then not want the answer ?

who developed into a pocket passer ? that was asked . i gave the answer , now you dont want it

joe thiesman ran around a lot in college is that better ?

Skinsdad... you name four QBs that left the league all over 20 yrs ago. But I will grant you its not impossible for RG3 to become a QB, its just that the actual odds dont favor him doing it. And again I rarely see you compare him to guys like Vick, Ware or some of the other athlete's trying to play QB. Truth is though Bob could come out and totally suck ass week one and I would expect you to find a way to defend him.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can we stop asking questions and then not want the answer ?

who developed into a pocket passer ? that was asked . i gave the answer , now you dont want it

joe thiesman ran around a lot in college is that better ?

Getting warmer - Theisman ran for 1021 yards, 14 TDs and a 3.4 avg in 3 years at Notre Dame.

Additionally Gibbs rolled him out often because of his athletic ability and because he wasn't the worlds tallest guy. If Robert Griffin became as good as Theismann I would be ecstatic.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting warmer - Theisman ran for 1021 yards, 14 TDs and a 3.4 avg in 3 years at Notre Dame.

Additionally Gibbs rolled him out often because of his athletic ability and because he wasn't the worlds tallest guy. If Robert Griffin became as good as Theismann I would be ecstatic.

and he could be if you give him time

now shark the question didnt give me time constraints . ever means ever not selected ever

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and he could be if you give him time

now shark the question didnt give me time constraints . ever means ever not selected ever

true... but if we want to play the odds, I could have simply said what are the odds an option athlete becomes a pocket passer. You named four out of what 40 and there has not been one who became a good pocket passer in the last 20 years.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true... but if we want to play the odds, I could have simply said what are the odds an option athlete becomes a pocket passer. You named four out of what 40 and there has not been one who became a good pocket passer in the last 20 years.

then why make him a pocket passer purely ? use him like kaep and wilson

oh wait 3sus will quit the team if he isnt a pure pocket passer he will get fat and lay on the field during an int return

i think Rg3 want to be a great qb and if we use his skill set right he will

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then why make him a pocket passer purely ? use him like kaep and wilson

oh wait 3sus will quit the team if he isnt a pure pocket passer he will get fat and lay on the field during an int return

i think Rg3 want to be a great qb and if we use his skill set right he will

How many times does it have to be pointed out, he doesnt WANT to be used like Kaep and Wilson. He wants to be known as the greatest QB, not the greatest dual threat QB. I dont think he will get fat or lazy. But if you cant even convince him to throw the ball away or make quick decisions... what makes you think he can be convinced that he just isnt hacking it as a pure pocket passer??

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times does it have to be pointed out, he doesnt WANT to be used like Kaep and Wilson. He wants to be known as the greatest QB, not the greatest dual threat QB. I dont think he will get fat or lazy. But if you cant even convince him to throw the ball away or make quick decisions... what makes you think he can be convinced that he just isnt hacking it as a pure pocket passer??

I've seen you ask this question now in a few different threads and I have yet to see anyone answer it. For those of you that believe we need to reincorporate rollouts and designed plays to take advantage of Roberts unique skill sets, remember that he is the one that basically insisted that he not be used that way. So how do you suggest that be addressed???

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah i guess roger the dodger was blowing smoke

tom landry his HC said roger's best attribute was running when he came up . look at nfl films same with namath , look at nfl films and what they said

and yes staubach did become a pocket passer

cunningham with the vikes was an exceptional pocket passer thougn he did have moss and carter

The examples you gave were of players that could already throw from the pocket...they were just capable of running...like Elway and Young.

Except Cunningham...who had one great half a season after Brad Johnson got hurt.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen you ask this question now in a few different threads and I have yet to see anyone answer it. For those of you that believe we need to reincorporate rollouts and designed plays to take advantage of Roberts unique skill sets, remember that he is the one that basically insisted that he not be used that way. So how do you suggest that be addressed???

No one is going to answer that question. Or they will say its the coaches job to get him to do whats best for the team if it requires him to play more like Kaep and less like Peyton.

And to that I say, If Mike Shanahan couldnt get him to fall in line and just play the way I think fits you best... how in the hell are a rookie HC and a rookie OC going to get this done??

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i believe he said he didnt want to run read option plays . i could be wrong

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he doesnt like the read option , especially when he is asked to run it in a knee brace

and i dont think he means he has to be a statue in the pocket that he can roll out etc

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i do have a question though , if robert is so steadfast in being a pocket passer and not being used like kaepernick then why did we run the read option play vs the ravens ?

because we did do it and may have ran it twice

i am sure we ran it the drive before the ravens scored their td because the raven announcers called it out and i rewinded it and sure enough it was he simply gave it to the back

the 1st one wasnt quite clear so i cant call it as such

so maybe there is more coming up as far as our offense is concerned but we stayed vanilla ?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IM about to crash. But will play along. Say we did run a read option once or twice against the Ravens. That does not in any way get rid of the real problem. Bob has shown in our vinilla offense that he still has problems with accuracy and reading defenses. Would love to see that changed, but nothing this off season has encouraged me on that front. Also side note, the read option is only effective IF there is a chance the QB will take off and run the ball. If its just lining up in the pistol and either running a play action pass or handing the ball off, it loses some of its effectiveness as we saw last year.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We did run read option against the Ravens. The first 19yd Morris run was one I think I heard mentioned...tho I can never tell by looking myself.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
plan A fix defense

I think its fixed and better it was the reseason we lost so many games last year for what its worth maybe plan B next off season operation fix oline etc

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We did run read option against the Ravens. The first 19yd Morris run was one I think I heard mentioned...tho I can never tell by looking myself.

Cali is correct, there were 2 read option plays one to Morris which went for his longest gain and one to Helu that went for a minimal gain.

I don't think Robert is refusing to do anything. Gruden wants him to stay in the pocket and not be so fast to leave. dad is right that to get the most out of Griffin he should use he speed to an advantage. I like and agree with the idea that he rolls out on occasion. So far he has not proven to be adept at that but that doesn't mean he can't do it. You don't want to roll on every play though because it cuts the field in half. Robert will also have to throw the ball out of bounds if he can't find a receiver or a lane to run. You don't want him running out of bounds for a 5 yard loss.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cali is correct, there were 2 read option plays one to Morris which went for his longest gain and one to Helu that went for a minimal gain.

I don't think Robert is refusing to do anything. Gruden wants him to stay in the pocket and not be so fast to leave. dad is right that to get the most out of Griffin he should use he speed to an advantage. I like and agree with the idea that he rolls out on occasion. So far he has not proven to be adept at that but that doesn't mean he can't do it. You don't want to roll on every play though because it cuts the field in half. Robert will also have to throw the ball out of bounds if he can't find a receiver or a lane to run. You don't want him running out of bounds for a 5 yard loss.

Have you ever seen him throw the ball out of bounds?

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever seen him throw the ball out of bounds?

Yes, but not in Preseason game 3. It's gonna take time for all this to gel.

It would surprise me greatly if this O is what we see, week 1 in Houston. I'm quite sure we will see a slow transition to more pocket passing and a lot of Griff being a cross between what we saw in 2012 and a push towards more of a pocket presence. I can't see Jay not letting Robert be Robert or not taking advantage of his mobility.

Course I could be totally wrong as well. Time will tell.

Griff wants to WIN, more than anything else, I think it's easy to forget that about him as we see the growing pains in his development to a different style of QB. He will do what it takes, IMO to make that happen.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but not in Preseason game 3. It's gonna take time for all this to gel.

It would surprise me greatly if this O is what we see, week 1 in Houston. I'm quite sure we will see a slow transition to more pocket passing and a lot of Griff being a cross between what we saw in 2012 and a push towards more of a pocket presence. I can't see Jay not letting Robert be Robert or not taking advantage of his mobility.

Course I could be totally wrong as well. Time will tell.

Griff wants to WIN, more than anything else, I think it's easy to forget that about him as we see the growing pains in his development to a different style of QB. He will do what it takes, IMO to make that happen.

You must have a better memory than I as I can't remember ever him throwing the ball away. :lol:

I think many of our concerns is not with Jay letting Robert be Robert, but its with Robert letting Robert be Robert (wow, that was confusing to write).

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must have a better memory than I as I can't remember ever him throwing the ball away. :lol:

I think many of our concerns is not with Jay letting Robert be Robert, but its with Robert letting Robert be Robert (wow, that was confusing to write).

Ha! I have way too many senior moments to be pleased these days...:L

I understand. But no tweet or social media is gonna quiet concerns about Griff as he struggles to learn and develop. He is smart enough to KNOW, winning is the ONLY thing that's going to quiet the critics.

Can't see him not doing whatever it takes to win, he likes winning too much not to, IMO.