• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

you're the GM

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
get a newcoach and qb
Brilliant! In fact, we should do that every year! That way we always have the latest and greatest. Maybe we can get the league to develop a trade in plan just like Apple has on IPhones.......

SkinFaninATL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brilliant! In fact, we should do that every year! That way we always have the latest and greatest. Maybe we can get the league to develop a trade in plan just like Apple has on IPhones.......

Literally lol :pound:Well, this is an interesting topic. I keep asking myself what happens to KC, if he has a bad season or what happens, if he has a good one. We can't judge, yet because we're only five games into the season. We'll see.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were GM I wouldn't feel comfortable enough at this point to offer him a new contract.

Honestly, we had been doing letter grades up until now and they were all over the place. The reason I started this thread was to get a more accurate guage as to where we, the collective board participants stood. I'm not sure he's earned starting money yet....but I gotta tell ya, this guy certainly has earned a spot on the team. The problem as I see it is that he's gonna want starters cash. Asking posters what that contract should look like as a more accurate tool than letter grades and definitely should be done quarterly as he grows or falters.......sort of like judging a fight and at the end tallying up the scores.

If his status changes from your perspective as we go along, I'm looking forward to what you would be willing to offer him. BTW: no contract at all? Not even backup money?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way Id pay him that. But as you said most here consider him a backup and I fall into the most category on that one lol

Very curious Ehb5, at this point what would backup money look like?

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If his status changes from your perspective as we go along, I'm looking forward to what you would be willing to offer him. BTW: no contract at all? Not even backup money?

At this present time if I were GM, no, I wouldn't offer him any type of contract.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this present time if I were GM, no, I wouldn't offer him any type of contract.

Breed... we are 5 weeks in. The reason you try and do a deal now is you protect the team in the off chance that Kirk DOES become more than average. The other option is to NOT do a deal, go into the off season with Kirk as a FA. Say he does get it right but the Browns or another squad outbids us at that point.... do we then regret not being proactive and find ourselves in a position of starting a rookie or worse.. he who shall not be named??

No I say we look at what Kirk does over the next 3-5 weeks and decide which way we want to go.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breed... we are 5 weeks in. The reason you try and do a deal now is you protect the team in the off chance that Kirk DOES become more than average. The other option is to NOT do a deal, go into the off season with Kirk as a FA. Say he does get it right but the Browns or another squad outbids us at that point.... do we then regret not being proactive and find ourselves in a position of starting a rookie or worse.. he who shall not be named??

No I say we look at what Kirk does over the next 3-5 weeks and decide which way we want to go.

You're killin with with the Children of the Corn reference or whatever reference it is you're using. I'm good with the waiting for another 3 - 5 weeks and seeing where Kirk stands then.

I'll also say this. I've never been a fan of playing not to lose and I think Gruden is playing like that and its not doing KC or my evaluation of KC (if I were GM) any favors.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're killin with with the Children of the Corn reference or whatever reference it is you're using. I'm good with the waiting for another 3 - 5 weeks and seeing where Kirk stands then.

I'll also say this. I've never been a fan of playing not to lose and I think Gruden is playing like that and its not doing KC or my evaluation of KC (if I were GM) any favors.

Breed... its all good. And the reference is from Harry Potter actually. LOL

To a point I agree that you shouldnt play not to lose, how ever this team is some what in baby steps mode. Right now playing not to lose is more about learning to play to be competitive on a team level. Its also about protecting the offense and to an extent the defense until such time as we are comfortable enough to go out with the mentality of playing to WIN. Right now we are searching for competitive on a consistent basis first.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No worries Shark or anyone else, I plan to revisit this thread at the halfway mark, at the 3/4 mark and again at the end of the season. Most important position on the field some say, yeah it's worth it!

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At times like this I think of Trent Green .... and I am not saying Cousins is Trent Green but man that one still hurts.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's assume Kirk's play for the rest of the year stays at is now, a pretty real possibility IMO. Even though I'm not the biggest KC fan I've had a look at some of the other starting QBs around the league and he is still better than a third of them. So I'd go ahead and sign him as they look for the eventual long term answer. The terms will be higher than many already posted here but that is what a starting QB gets paid in the NFL.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's assume Kirk's play for the rest of the year stays at is now, a pretty real possibility IMO. Even though I'm not the biggest KC fan I've had a look at some of the other starting QBs around the league and he is still better than a third of them. So I'd go ahead and sign him as they look for the eventual long term answer. The terms will be higher than many already posted here but that is what a starting QB gets paid in the NFL.
I honestly don't see what choice we have. Assuming he doesn't completely implode, there isn't going to be a starting caliber QB available to us that is any better next year. And if he does as you say, I don't see what choice he has. If he is in the bottom half of starting QBs at the end of the year, I don't see any other team offering him big bucks as their starter. So I suspect we will re-sign him to a modest contract for 3 or 4 years with escalators if he out performs but a fairly inexpensive out if he doesn't.

Where it gets dicey is if he does out perform the rest of this year. Then if we let him go to FA there will be teams bidding for his services, driving the price up.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't see what choice we have. Assuming he doesn't completely implode, there isn't going to be a starting caliber QB available to us that is any better next year. And if he does as you say, I don't see what choice he has. If he is in the bottom half of starting QBs at the end of the year, I don't see any other team offering him big bucks as their starter. So I suspect we will re-sign him to a modest contract for 3 or 4 years with escalators if he out performs but a fairly inexpensive out if he doesn't.

Where it gets dicey is if he does out perform the rest of this year. Then if we let him go to FA there will be teams bidding for his services, driving the price up.

Exactly. He's the best option, by far, the Redskins have. And like it or not if he plays this way, which is better than many predicted but with the same turnover issue, they may have others in the bidding. This is a league that has started Ryan Mallet, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Johnny Manzell this year.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Cousins gets on a roll & minimizes his mistakes I truly don't believe that the Skins will have any problems extending his contract - it will just mean giving him a few more $$. You have to also look at this from Cousins perspective. If they give him a decent extension he would likely be very happy since 1. the team showed faith in him even during difficult times 2. he would remain in an offense that is comfortable and familiar to him & 3. he doesn't have to uproot his family & move to an unfamiliar place.

The only way a deal from another team would be attractive in this situation would be if it were considerably more money or for a contender & just don't see that happening in this situation. You worry about an extension when your QB is someone like Luck - not when it is someone like Cousins.

With all of that being said I believe that the team waits at least another month before even entertaining these thoughts. No worries - SM will handle this situation correctly.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think you stick with KC , cut mesus , bring in colt and draft a guy in the mid rounds

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Peyton, Rivers, Carr, Smith, Big Ben, Flacco, Dalton, Brady, Tannehill, Taylor, Mariota, Luck, Romo, Eli, Rodgers, Stafford, Bridgewater, Cutler, Brees, Ryan, Cam, Palmer, Wilson = better

Fitz, McCown, Hoyer, Bortles, Foles = debatable

Bradford, Jameis, Kap = worse

Cousins is still a pretty bad QB

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I am SM and Gruden I am asking myself if the mistakes he is making are correctible with experience and coaching. If not, you certainly have to look in another direction. I think that is the same ruler they applied to Griffin.

I think it is one of two decisions. Resign Cousins or find a vet. It is probably easier to resign Cousins .... if you think he can progress.

Either way you draft a QB of Scots choice, don't care what round it is as long as it is someone SM thinks they can develop.

No slight to Griffin I just think it best that they part ways and everyone gets a fresh start. HUGE kudos to him for being a good teammate. The only way I see keeping him is redoing the contract IF you see develop that we clearly can't see in practice.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think you stick with KC , cut mesus , bring in colt and draft a guy in the mid rounds

I think folks have to start laying off RG3 a bit. The guy has been a model citizen during the entire season while being asked to basically be a cheerleader at this time. I watched him on the bench on Sunday, and he was doing nothing but cheering on the team & encouraging Cousins. I have not heard one distracting word from him since his benching at the beginning of the season.

Sure - he may not be the QB for the Skins for the future & he may have done some ill advised things in the past (although not illegal or that bad compared to some others), but I don't believe that he warrants some of the criticism currently being slung his way.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think folks have to start laying off RG3 a bit. The guy has been a model citizen during the entire season while being asked to basically be a cheerleader at this time. I watched him on the bench on Sunday, and he was doing nothing but cheering on the team & encouraging Cousins. I have not heard one distracting word from him since his benching at the beginning of the season.

Sure - he may not be the QB for the Skins for the future & he may have done some ill advised things in the past (although not illegal or that bad compared to some others), but I don't believe that he warrants some of the criticism currently being slung his way.

Sadly people organized in camps and are attacking the other guy. I agree they should leave Griffin alone.