• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your Pick for Best Movie of 2015

Best Movie of 2015

• Sicario

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • The Martian

• Bridge of Spies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ex Machina

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Spotlight

• Creed

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Carol

• Room

• Mad Max: Fury Road

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Brooklyn

• Hateful 8

• The Big Short

• Straight Outta Compton

• Other (post your choice below)

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The irony is that by being human (screwing over others for personal gain/safety) she passed the Turing test.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point of Caleb's hapiness or unhappiness isn't the point, since that's not what she was designed to do. She was designed to be essentially human.

And given what her creator was going to do with her, (murder her), is it really any wonder she couldn't trust Caleb to do the right thing?

Was she trying to be "human" or just survive.. Didn't the maker even warn caleb that she was USING him?

The whole "she wanted to be free ending and she used Caleb" would make a whole lot more sense if she didn't go straight into the heart of a city at the end. It was clear that she wanted to feel like a human at the end and that the director was explicitly saying as much. I agree with chf that one of the major points of the movie was her desire to be human.

And again, there was simply no better way to adjust to human life than to bring Caleb. She was designed to be a Turing test specifically for him. So yeah, if her ultimate goal was to be accepted as human, her route would be the guy who was explicitly designed to see her as human.

If you want to leave open the possibility in my story that she can be free of Caleb, just take out the last scene I discussed. In that scenario, she can kill Caleb whenever she wants to obtain this total freedom. And we still get the frightening idea of Caleb trying to live with her knowing full well she is a murderer who will kill to get what she wants. But in the current ending, it makes no sense for her to voluntarily go to a city after she threw away her best chance to live a normal life in the city alongside a normal human for seemingly nothing other than shock value.

As for not trusting Caleb, I just disagree with that. I think the implication was she was smart enough/designed well enough to get a near perfect read on him. I don't think for a second that we were supposed to get the message she killed Caleb out of a lack of a trust.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole "she wanted to be free ending and she used Caleb" would make a whole lot more sense if she didn't go straight into the heart of a city at the end. It was clear that she wanted to feel like a human at the end and that the director was explicitly saying as much. I agree with chf that one of the major points of the movie was her desire to be human.

And again, there was simply no better way to adjust to human life than to bring Caleb. She was designed to be a Turing test specifically for him. So yeah, if her ultimate goal was to be accepted as human, her route would be the guy who was explicitly designed to see her as human.

If you want to leave open the possibility in my story that she can be free of Caleb, just take out the last scene I discussed. In that scenario, she can kill Caleb whenever she wants to obtain this total freedom. And we still get the frightening idea of Caleb trying to live with her knowing full well she is a murderer who will kill to get what she wants. But in the current ending, it makes no sense for her to voluntarily go to a city after she threw away her best chance to live a normal life in the city alongside a normal human for seemingly nothing other than shock value.

As for not trusting Caleb, I just disagree with that. I think the implication was she was smart enough/designed well enough to get a near perfect read on him. I don't think for a second that we were supposed to get the message she killed Caleb out of a lack of a trust.

But again, she wasn't created to BE human, she was created to pass as a human... Passing and being is different... Her goal was to deceive, not to actually live as... Really her primary objective was just to survive... and that she did... She used Caleb to escape, she did not NEED Caleb to survive in the outside world...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Simply don't agree. She went Machiavellian. Caleb was the only one who knew her secret. She should probably just have killed him. Her feelings for him made her leave him alive. Dead men tell no tales.

Why shouldn't she go to a city? She can live in a city and hide in plain sight. Why is anyone going to know. The secrecy her creator had was total. Caleb was the only other human being who knew.

Leaving with him, he can change his mind and blow the whistle on her at any time.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But again, she wasn't created to BE human, she was created to pass as a human... Passing and being is different... Her goal was to deceive, not to actually live as... Really her primary objective was just to survive... and that she did... She used Caleb to escape, she did not NEED Caleb to survive in the outside world...

See I don't agree with this either. In my opinion (and not saying it's correct, she isn't just a high functioning mimic, she's self aware and alive.

She's also just like a human, able to put her own welfare over others.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See I don't agree with this either. In my opinion (and not saying it's correct, she isn't just a high functioning mimic, she's self aware and alive.

She's also just like a human, able to put her own welfare over others.

Not saying that she wasn't alive or self aware... Clearly she was... But you are making the assumption that she is striving to be human and to have humanity... To me I saw none of that... She was using caleb the whole time to achieve her ultimate goal to deceive him so he can help her escape... Her escaping was her ONLY goal... What she chose to do after was just a calculation... I wonder if she killed the pilot, or if the pilot ever asked where he was dropping her off... and that could explain why she "CHOSE" that metropolitan area...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See I think her leaving him alive was an example of her humanity.

If she was JUST a non-emotional calculating machine, she'd have broken his neck.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the whole spoiler thing has been thrown out the window...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See I think her leaving him alive was an example of her humanity.

If she was JUST a non-emotional calculating machine, she'd have broken his neck.

disagree with that, she had to go out of her way to kill him... she used him until the very end...

and why does emotion-less HAVE to equal murderer?? she didn't need to kill him to survive... In fact she didn't...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry... spoilers were needed...
Not just you.

I have not seen the movie yet, and have full intention of seeing it.

If you guys want to talk spoilers, please feel free to open a new thread.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry about the spoilers.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may sound kind of crazy, but the best movie I've seen from 2015, was Pixar's Inside Out. It was great.

screw you....someone told me the short on the dvd was great...now I can't get that fucking song out of my head

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has anyone here actually seen Spotlight, room, Brooklyn or Carol??

I have seen all of the other movies but those 4, want to know if any are worth watching...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has anyone here actually seen Spotlight, room, Brooklyn or Carol??

I have seen all of the other movies but those 4, want to know if any are worth watching...
I have still only seen Revenant, Martian and Mad Max. I would like to see Big Short and Bridge of Spies, though.

I have no interest in the other movies.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see The Big Short, Room, and Spotlight. Room because I like Brie Larson and Spotlight because ,with the exception of The Cobbler, I think Tom McCarthy makes really good movies.