• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your One Game as a Bronco's Fan Where you could change the outcome

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typically when “favorite wins” or “worst losses” comes up in a discussion I avoid naming Super Bowls or other playoff games because they’re too obvious.

So my pick is the Broncos @ Chargers, week 13 of 2004. Why this one? Because:

Steelers: 15-1
Patriots: 14-2
Colts: 12-4
Chargers: 12-4
Jets: 10-6
Broncos: 10-6

The Chargers won the game I mentioned 20-17, but it wasn’t a clean game. Kennoy Kennedy intercepted a Drew Brees pass attempt (that bounced off one of his OL) and took it for a score. It was called back, ruled incomplete. An astonishing decision. Of course there’s no way to know what happens in the remainder of the game had the refs gotten that call right, but as I recall based on where it happened I’d say the chances of the Broncos edging a 21-17 Type win were a lot higher. That re-seeds the entire bottom half of the playoffs, with the Broncos and Chargers both at 11-5 and the Jets sliding into #6.

this would have given the Broncos the 4 seed and the Chargers 5 (Broncos beat them 23-13 in week 3) and set up a third game in the Wild Card round. It’s impossible to know how that would have gone but I’ll tell you this: I would have much rather seen the Broncos take on the Chargers in Denver than the Colts in Indy, which is what wound up happening.

That singular game may well have altered the course of the Broncos playoff performance. Of all the regular season losses I can think of that one seems to have changed more than any other I can think of.

Last edited: