• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

You should have to win your conference to be in the playoff-----Nick Saban

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Ohio St got in. Funny he didn't mention that this year.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably still believes that...but whatcha gonna do? Refuse the invitation?

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree. 8 conferences, conference champ to the playoffs.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree. 8 conferences, conference champ to the playoffs.

Yes, because we all want to see a 3 loss mountain west champion in the playoffs...NOT.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here is what was actually said.

Question: Do you think being conference champion should trump anything else on a resume for playoff consideration?

Answer: "I think I could answer the question better if you gave me a specific scenario. I think that being a conference champ is certainly a significant accomplishment for any team or any program.

"I also think that sometimes there are circumstances that a team can play really, really well for an entire season, and are we basing the playoff on the whole body of work that a team does throughout the year in terms of all the teams they've beat, the quality opponents they played against, or is it just about one game? And when you talk about conference championships, if you play a conference championship some leagues don't even have conference championships. So, it's not sort of a fair and equitable way to base that particular group that didn't play a conference championship, so you're doing the whole body of work. Then it seems a little more reasonable to look at everyone else's entire body or work when you decide who the best teams are.

"Hey, we won a national championship here and didn't win the SEC. I mean, I think, in that particular year, LSU and Alabama had the two best teams, so we had to play in the regular season. We played 9-6. Forty-two guys, somebody wrote an article, played in the NFL that played on the field that day. So, they were two really, really good teams. Well, both teams in the same division couldn't go to the conference championship. So, we end up playing in the championship game. So is that the right thing or the wrong thing? I'm sure everybody could debate that. But, I believe those were the two best teams. So, it depends on what that goal is."

Notice a couple of words missing from the lengthy answer?

0e394d78172e948e37bf9f4e80e965c8--nick-saban-football-pictures.jpg

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were to run the table we'd want to see it

Depends...if they played Washington and Alabama like Fresno St this year, I'm all for it. If your OOC games are Maryland, FIU and Austin Peay, go fuck yourself.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that was an Urban Meyer quote.

But at any rate, making blanket statements are never a good idea. Different scenarios en sech.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have gotten a lot of respect for Nick Saban. I used to not like him because how he left Miami, but that is ancient history. I think he is the best best coach of this era, and among the best ever.

Even if Saban said that or not, it doesn't matter. He is not going to turn down the invitation. No coach in the country would. If Ohio State got the spot over Alabama, I believe he wouldn't say anything about it. He would probably say, "We didn't win our conference." He might have his flaws, but he is pretty fair when it comes to not getting his way (which rarely happens).