• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yet another Cousins post

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kirk Cousins isn’t RG3, and that’s the problem

by R.C. Allen Jr.3
The Washington Redskins have never accepted Robert Griffin III didn’t work out and Kirk Cousins rose to the occasion.

Kirk Cousins is a victim of circumstance. His rise to success came at a bitter point in the RG3 era. Cousins was the understudy, with RG3 starring as the hero of the Redskins. That didn’t happen. Their bitterness at dealing with a No.2 that became a No.1 is startling.

I never expected the Redskins to respond to Kirk Cousins the way they have. This is awful. I was driving back to my office listening to ESPN and they brought up a great point: What if this was RG3? What if this was the guy they sold their soul for in the NFL Draft? Would the lack of a contract be a conversation? In my opinion, no. Don’t forget, owner Dan Snyder loved RG3. He was “googly eyed” about the guy. This has been well documented, and revisited by ESPN’s Jason Reid. It’s a good read. Here’s one quote from former Redskins coach Mike Shanahan mentioned in the article:

“When Robert is standing there going through all of that, I know it’s coming from Dan,” Shanahan said. “When Robert talked about ‘unacceptable,’ that was a word Dan used all the time. He was using phrases Dan used all the time. There’s only one way a guy who’s going into his second year would do something like this: If he sat down with the owner and the owner believed that this is the way he should be used…”

Giving Cousins the long-term contract would show their investment on RG3 was the worst decision ever made, no matter the outcome. Cousins wasn’t a puppet. He had the respect of the team, no matter what the pundits say. Anyone could see Cousins under center was completely different from when RG3 was on the field. You could have made a sandwich in the amount of protection Cousins had in the pocket. Kirk Cousins proved he could do the job . The Redskins front office now has to eat the biggest plate of crow in NFL history. They would choose to let him go rather than do that. If GM Scot McCloughan did try to give the guy a contract (as reports indicate) and they shut him down, well, there’s no surprise why he’s not around. You can’t treat people like dirt and have expectations. Now NBC’s ProFootballTalk reported McCloughan is fine, and alcohol is not the reason for his absence. So they allowed the media to throw him under the bus? Seems legit.

Kirk Cousins is just tired of it all. He’s ready to get away from the drama. You can’t blame the guy. We’re all tired of it.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Giving Cousins the long-term contract would show their investment on RG3 was the worst decision ever made, no matter the outcome."

I think that line speaks volumes. It shows they had no clue what they were doing when they drafted Griffin and gave up potentially 4 starters to get him. I was overjoyed when I saw they drafted Cousins in the 4th round because I never though Griffin was going to be a star. Now cut twice in two years. But what the hell, 4 guys for one division title.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pulling the bullshit card on this one... and here is why, let's use some logic for a minute.

Was RG3 an epic fail? Yes, The league knows it, the fans know it, the coaches know it, The OWNER AND FO know it (or he would STILL be a Skin), Hell, even RG3 knows it.

Bottom line. Danny and Georgie have already had a crow sandwich (w/ crow-shit spread) for what happened (or what didn't happen) with RG3. They have already been embarrassed in FRONT OF THE ENTIRE WORLD for drafting Griffin. And now they are going to let an above average QB walk, someone who can really help this team because they can't swallow their pride a second time?? Even I don't think the FO is stupid enough to let their pride get in the way of having a good team. Gimme a f'in break.

Now...KC and Danny in a pissing match. That's what is going on.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pulling the bullshit card on this one... and here is why, let's use some logic for a minute.

Was RG3 an epic fail? Yes, The league knows it, the fans know it, the coaches know it, The OWNER AnD GO know it (or he would STILL be a Skin), Hell, even RG3 knows it.

Bottom line. Danny and Georgie have already had a crow sandwich (w/ crow-shit spread) for what happened (or what didn't happen) with RG3. They have already been embarrassed in FRONT OF THE ENTIRE WORLD for drafting Griffin. And now they are going to let an above average QB walk, someone who can really help this team because they can't swallow their pride a second time?? Even I don't think the FO is stupid enough to let their pride get in the way of having a good team. Gimme a f'in break.

You realize you are giving the benefit of the doubt to the guys who just fired one of the best talent elevators in the NFL right?? And it wouldnt be the first time they let a good player walk because he wasnt sexy enough.

Dan has found himself in a situation he wanted to be in (having to make a QB the highest paid player in the NFL), just not with the guy he wanted to be there. And I have been saying for a while, Dan and Bruce not willing to admit they fucked up has alot to do with why Cousins wasnt signed to a long term deal LAST year.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now they are going to let an above average QB walk, someone who can really help this team because they can't swallow their pride a second time??

Therein lies the problem.

Snyder can not accept or admit Mike Shanahan was right.

Why else wouldnt they offer Cousins 20m per to get a long term deal secure last season ?

Even I don't think the FO is stupid enough to let their pride get in the way of having a good team.

you're giving them more credit then they have earned.

this is the same guy who allowed Vinny motha-fuckin Ceratto to steer the ship of this franchise for almost a decade

who now can not find another job within the league ... and hosts a local talk radio show.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan is Dan.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason why Kc is not signed to a LTD RIGHT NOW is b/c KC ask is crazy. Forget the front office. Forget what happened last year. KC ask is 30m per season right now but you blame the front office for not giving him this. Im sure the Skins will offer 22-25m annually. that is fair and KC will say no just b/c he wants to chase more money.

I love how you guys don't mention that KC's long term ask is out of his world right now. That is the whole point of this problem. Al this can go away if KC comes back down to reality.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article misses the mark when drawing a direct line from Griffith's failure to Cousin not being resigned as some sort of admission that there's something to that. Well plain an simple it doesn't exist. The author, fails to factor in the perspective of an egomaniac who's incapable of connecting those dots. Exhibit one: Bruce Allen, second in command and architectural assistant in that time frame is still on board, still flexing his executive muscle.

Any other executive making the same misguided decisions as Allen has would have been discharged long ago. Instead we get a basic "fuck you all" statement in this lastest SM fiasco because the ego in chief and his second in command from their perspective are merely doing what's in the best interest of the team.

Now ask yourself, what connection could there possibly be between a love for Griffith and not resigning his replacement long term when every move whether initiated by Dan or Bruce was made in the best interest of the product on and off the field?

What??...... Still waiting for that admission?...... Good luck with that! !

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how you guys don't mention that KC's long term ask is out of his world right now. That is the whole point of this problem.

you're not mentioning the low ball offers that the front office keeps presenting him

last season they offered 16 when Cousins wanted 20

this season they offered 20 ... & Cousins, feeling disrespected, & probably just wanting out of this dysfunctional relationship at this point ... countered with an unreasonable 30m.

there is an opportunity to get him to agree to a long term deal ... but its going to be 25m per minimum and a LARGE % guaranteed ... i am predicting record setting $$$

Cousins is also looking to see what numbers Stafford & Carr get ... hopefully once they set the market & IF the FO can do a better job of making Cousins feel appreciated he MIGHT consider a long term deal everyone can live with.

Last edited:

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

by R.C. Allen Jr.3
The Washington Redskins have never accepted Robert Griffin III didn’t work out and Kirk Cousins rose to the occasion.

Kirk Cousins is a victim of circumstance. His rise to success came at a bitter point in the RG3 era.

Shark, we discussed this and came up with this conclusion weeks ago, tell this reporter he's mad late. LOL

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark, we discussed this and came up with this conclusion weeks ago, tell this reporter he's mad late. LOL

Oh I know we did. IM just throwing it out there because the usual suspects seem to think that Cousins NOT being the guy Dan really wanted to get to this point has no bearing on the situation as it stands.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I know we did. IM just throwing it out there because the usual suspects seem to think that Cousins NOT being the guy Dan really wanted to get to this point has no bearing on the situation as it stands.

It doesn't!!! You can't look at this from your perspective, nor can I or the writer. The ONLY point of view that counts is the one coming out of Ashburn. Any other is just misinformed based on the new catch all "Fake news" at best or hatin' at worse.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Therein lies the problem.

Snyder can not accept or admit Mike Shanahan was right.

Why else wouldnt they offer Cousins 20m per to get a long term deal secure last season ?

I don't think this particular quote is right. I think there were plenty of people on this board that, after the previous season (not the one that just ended) weren't ready to give KC $20 million a year contract. It had been all of 9 games, anyway.

I do think that Snyder and Allen are generally malevolent with regards to the redskins. If they could man up, they'd pay KC what he wants, and move on. If only to end the drama.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this particular quote is right. I think there were plenty of people on this board that, after the previous season (not the one that just ended) weren't ready to give KC $20 million a year contract. It had been all of 9 games, anyway.

I do think that Snyder and Allen are generally malevolent with regards to the redskins. If they could man up, they'd pay KC what he wants, and move on. If only to end the drama.

i agree ... at the time we all believed the number was astronomical

i do not know if we, or Bruce, understood at the time how the salary cap would increase almost 40 million dollars or the impact that would have on salaries.

there was also some people wanting to see Cousins prove himself.

but, in retrospect ... 20m for a franchise QB as a % of the salary cap is a steal.

i believe Snyder loves the Redskins & wants what best ... but its a double-edged sword, because that love makes him emotional & prevents him from making decisions logically.

Did Snyder undermine Mikes authority when it came to sitting Griffen ?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree ... at the time we all believed the number was astronomical

i do not know if we, or Bruce, understood at the time how the salary cap would increase almost 40 million dollars or the impact that would have on salaries.

there was also some people wanting to see Cousins prove himself.

but, in retrospect ... 20m for a franchise QB as a % of the salary cap is a steal.

i believe Snyder loves the Redskins & wants what best ... but its a double-edged sword, because that love makes him emotional & prevents him from making decisions logically.

Did Snyder undermine Mikes authority when it came to sitting Griffen ?

I will just say this. I find it hard to believe one of the guys considered the best cap guy in the NFL didnt see this coming. More to the point, signing Kirk last year to $20M a year would have not only gave us more cap space last year, but would have allowed them to write in protection clauses to the deal.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"i believe Snyder loves the Redskins & wants what best ... but its a double-edged sword, because that love makes him emotional & prevents him from making decisions logically.

That is exactly on point, he can't separate the two. Great comment! !

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will just say this. I find it hard to believe one of the guys considered the best cap guy in the NFL didnt see this coming. More to the point, signing Kirk last year to $20M a year would have not only gave us more cap space last year, but would have allowed them to write in protection clauses to the deal.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Devil's Advocate: Paying $20 million to (2015/16) first-half-of-the-year KC is a national embarrassment equal to the Osweiler contract.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you're not mentioning the low ball offers that the front office keeps presenting him

last season they offered 16 when Cousins wanted 20

this season they offered 20 ... & Cousins, feeling disrespected, & probably just wanting out of this dysfunctional relationship at this point ... countered with an unreasonable 30m.

there is an opportunity to get him to agree to a long term deal ... but its going to be 25m per minimum and a LARGE % guaranteed ... i am predicting record setting $$$

Cousins is also looking to see what numbers Stafford & Carr get ... hopefully once they set the market & IF the FO can do a better job of making Cousins feel appreciated he MIGHT consider a long term deal everyone can live with.

Fine, but like I said if he gets a fair offer now he is still going to turn it down.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will just say this. I find it hard to believe one of the guys considered the best cap guy in the NFL didnt see this coming.

there was some thought that the cap might go down because the rating stunk so bad ... everyone blamed the elections.

They rebounded after November ... but I would guess these numbers are very difficult to forecast.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine, but like I said if he gets a fair offer now he is still going to turn it down.

At this point, I believe that you are right! I think that the only way he signs here now is if he gets part ownership of the team ( stock options and such)