• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

XFL is now the ex-FL

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree that they were sub par football, but I like some spring football. I was rooting for both leagues to succeed. Better quality than college but not near as good as the NFL.
I don't agree that it was better quality than college either. I guess maybe if you are watching Old Dominion and UMass maybe but as a whole I do not agree that it was a better product or produced better play.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league did not fall do to the damn Virus, STOP IT! The league failed because it was shitty football, period! Yeah they tried some novel approaches they were interesting, but the talent and overall play was flipping horrible. I will concede the virus did not help, but there is no way this shit was gonna last.
I agree with @YankeeRebel , it was all because of the virus

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree that it was better quality than college either. I guess maybe if you are watching Old Dominion and UMass maybe but as a whole I do not agree that it was a better product or produced better play.
It was definitely better quality than college football. The players in the XFL were the better players in college. Not NFL quality, but they were in the top half of college talent. The games were better than most college games. Sure, college may have 1-3 good matchups per week, but most college games are lopsided blowouts.
Clemson only played in 3 close games

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was definitely better quality than college football. The players in the XFL were the better players in college. Not NFL quality, but they were in the top half of college talent. The games were better than most college games. Sure, college may have 1-3 good matchups per week, but most college games are lopsided blowouts.
Clemson only played in 3 close games

Well that is you opinion, I am cool with you expressing it, I simply do not agree. The games I tried to watch were just horrible, but if you liked it good for you.

Bottom line is this league is dissolved and IMO Vince knew it was going to fold sooner or later, saw a potential excuse and jumped all over it. To reiterate there are two way's to watch football in the US. College and NFL everything else has failed these two have stood the test of time and for obvious reasons.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that is you opinion, I am cool with you expressing it, I simply do not agree. The games I tried to watch were just horrible, but if you liked it good for you.

Bottom line is this league is dissolved and IMO Vince knew it was going to fold sooner or later, saw a potential excuse and jumped all over it. To reiterate there are two way's to watch football in the US. College and NFL everything else has failed these two have stood the test of time and for obvious reasons.
Fair enough. It doesn't look like we'll ever see a spring league succeed. That's a bummer for me because I can't stand the NBA and even inferior football fills a void for me. Although the XFL ratings were falling, they still were not too bad.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither worked because they both sucked and are sub par football

Sure, but the XFL was succeeding and had plenty of capital. He still has plenty of capital for it but it’s better going through the courts making the XFL not responsible for the contracts they owe. The one thing Vince or whoever is the next person needs to learn from the AAF and XFL is they can’t be college football where they ridiculous amounts of money for administrators and coaches when you have to pay the players as well.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But... they had years of funding and were doing everything right this time, I heard. And despite it being MAC level play with a bunch of stupid rules, they were really onto something, or something.
I appreciate you not saying MWC level play

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'm okay with you expressing that opinion but it doesn't make any sense. Vince dumped $500 mil or whatever it was into the league, sold a bunch of WWE stock, and went into it knowing he'd take a hit. And you're saying he did this also knowing the whole league would fail because the quality would suck and nobody would like it. I'm not saying Vince is a genius, but he's not that god damn stupid.

As much as people, for some reason, want to shit on the quality of play the league was still drawing more viewers than big time college basketball matchups and a big chunk of NBA games. Attendance was in the 20k range which is on par with the MLS. It wasn't the NFL by a long shot but it sure seemed to be doing fine.

Saying that a worldwide pandemic is "just an excuse" is idiotic.

That's like watching a guy running in a marathon towards the front of the pack get his leg blown off by a landmine and then saying "Well he wasn't even in the top 3 so he wouldn't have won anyway. No excuses!".

Markwassillylaugher

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league did not fall do to the damn Virus, STOP IT! The league failed because it was shitty football, period! Yeah they tried some novel approaches they were interesting, but the talent and overall play was flipping horrible. I will concede the virus did not help, but there is no way this shit was gonna last.

after week 1, the league actually ran out of merchandise on their website!

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after week 1, the league actually ran out of merchandise on their website!
They were doing pretty well in the cities where they had teams. They were also doing OK with everyone else. I'm sure I was not alone in trying to pick a team to root for. I was settling on St. Louis. They ran the ball well and seemed disciplined.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was decent football. it was growing on me. glad KC signed that QB from st louis. he can play.

Never caught a game, but this is bad news...I really thought it had a chance as an unofficial developmental league. Just looking at the number players that have signed, some NFL team front offices were indeed paying attention to this league.

The NFL is always going to treat the college game as their free developmental league, but imo NFL play would improve with a developmental pro league.

Fish

Hoopla Cash
$ 630.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were doing pretty well in the cities where they had teams. They were also doing OK with everyone else. I'm sure I was not alone in trying to pick a team to root for. I was settling on St. Louis. They ran the ball well and seemed disciplined.
I thought it was great, actually watched some of the Battlehawks.

I hope they get things worked out to come back.

Markwassillylaugher

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was a member of their fan advisory committee. the biggest complaints were actually about the sideline people of ABC
not showing good judgement in interviewing the players after a touchdown.
I never saw a poster complaining about the quality of play.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a member of their fan advisory committee. the biggest complaints were actually about the sideline people of ABC
That's how I felt. I thought the quality of play was very good. I didn't care for the in your face reporting.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW

The Fan Advisory Committee well shit there ya go!!!!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not getting into the debate of the quality of the play on the field because never got around to actually watching a game. I can imagine, with second tier talent and little to no training camp...the play would be subpar to NFL standards...maybe even sup par to a good college team...idk.

But...people will watch bad football, they have in the past...so that imo is not the main reason the league failed.

I really think the long term game plan was to be absorbed by the NFL as a developmental league. That's the only way another pro football league is going to survive long term imo. Maybe they didn't see that happening and decided to cut their losses, and pull the plug now.