• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wilson wants to be Highest paid player?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So i am sure you all have seen the article stating Wilson wants to be the highest paid player in the NFL, but when reading this article it sounds like Wilsons AGENT wants him to be the Highest paid player Not Wilson himself. Although i am sure Wilson wouldn't mind being the highest paid player i just feel like he never said " I want to be the Highest paid player in the NFL" so this title is BS. In a way it pisses me off as it makes Wilson sound like someone who is not a team player. I feel the title should have read. Wilsons Agent wants to get the largest contract in the NFL for his client. Every Agent wants this right? lol

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am of the understanding that with all of the #'s being bandied about, I have not heard one quote from RW's camp or Seattle's camp of where they want the #'s to be. All speculation.
I think a big issue is RW's final year of his rookie contract. The agent wants it eliminated and Seattle wants it extended.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am of the understanding that with all of the #'s being bandied about, I have not heard one quote from RW's camp or Seattle's camp of where they want the #'s to be. All speculation.
I think a big issue is RW's final year of his rookie contract. The agent wants it eliminated and Seattle wants it extended.

I heard it was about the 1.5 mil still on the contract. That Wilson and his group wanted the money plus the new contract while Seattle didn't want that added. But as everyone knows right now its all speculation because neither side is really talking. And I'm ok with that. Just get it done.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on ESPN, Russel's agent is asking for a contract that tops Aaron Rogers. As reported by John Clayton.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was on ESPN, Russel's agent is asking for a contract that tops Aaron Rogers. As reported by John Clayton.
Can't say I'm shocked. If AR was up for a contract right now, I suspect he would be asking for a lot more then he makes now.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im sure he would like to be the highest paid but im sure him and his agent knows that thats not possible they are just playing hard ball because they really only have one shot at this once he signs on the dotted line this is what he is getting paid till he is like 30 years old. Aim as high as you can while the team aims low then meet somewhere in the middle im sure thats how most negotiations go. You dont want to be that guy holding out in training camp because you took that bargain deal and your playing like an all pro

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im sure he would like to be the highest paid but im sure him and his agent knows that thats not possible they are just playing hard ball because they really only have one shot at this once he signs on the dotted line this is what he is getting paid till he is like 30 years old. Aim as high as you can while the team aims low then meet somewhere in the middle im sure thats how most negotiations go. You dont want to be that guy holding out in training camp because you took that bargain deal and your playing like an all pro
Time to ask what you want is when contract talks come up, not after you signed. I think we all agree with this. Going to be a tough negotiations and it could take more time then us the fans like, but once it's done, I don't think we'll here RW squaking about what he makes.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess their leverage is something about Andrew luck And Rivers who will get new contracts next and they feel if they signed for 21 million that with in a year he could be underpaid ... WTF lmao getting paid 20+ Million to play football is over paid no matter how you slice it. They should feel blessed not greedy :p thats all i got to say.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess their leverage is something about Andrew luck And Rivers who will get new contracts next and they feel if they signed for 21 million that with in a year he could be underpaid ... WTF lmao getting paid 20+ Million to play football is over paid no matter how you slice it. They should feel blessed not greedy :p thats all i got to say.
Come on Screaming, it all relevant, if your peers are making $25.00 per hour and you think your just as good or better, you want to make at least $25.00 per hour. If your peers are making or going to be making $22 or 25 million, and you think your right there with them in talent, then that's what you want to make.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's called "negotiation". Of course he and his people are starting high, just like the reports about the Seahawks starting with a low ball offer.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John CLayton said something like the Hawks offered 21+ per year Something like more than Cam but less than Rogers. I wouldn't call that a low ball number.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Screaming, it all relevant, if your peers are making $25.00 per hour and you think your just as good or better, you want to make at least $25.00 per hour. If your peers are making or going to be making $22 or 25 million, and you think your right there with them in talent, then that's what you want to make.

all i am saying though is that they should say Russell's Agent not Russell Wilson. Wilson has stated he is not involved in the contract talks he is leaving that up to his agent. So for them to say "RUSSELL" wants to be the highest paid player in the NFL is BS. Sure he would love that but he has never said that.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all i am saying though is that they should say Russell's Agent not Russell Wilson. Wilson has stated he is not involved in the contract talks he is leaving that up to his agent. So for them to say "RUSSELL" wants to be the highest paid player in the NFL is BS. Sure he would love that but he has never said that.
OK I agree with that. Hate that RW hired a baseball agent looking to make a name for himself in the NFL, but it is what it is.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John CLayton said something like the Hawks offered 21+ per year Something like more than Cam but less than Rogers. I wouldn't call that a low ball number.

That's higher than earlier reports of what they were offering. Sounds to me like they're working to a middle point.

And really, the average is just one factor. Without any other other knowledge of this possible offer, you can't discern that he's not signing it because the average is too low.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK I agree with that. Hate that RW hired a baseball agent looking to make a name for himself in the NFL, but it is what it is.

I don't think this deal would be done by now with any agent.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this deal would be done by now with any agent.

I don't think the baseball agent thing helps though. I agree this whole process is going to be drawn out and probably will get done in the 11th hour type thing but a baseball agent definitely has a different understanding of how contracts should be done. The NFL is actually pretty unique when it comes to contracts compared to the other major sports so hiring a guy that has never really negotiated an NFL contract definitely puts them into an interesting situation.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the baseball agent thing helps though. I agree this whole process is going to be drawn out and probably will get done in the 11th hour type thing but a baseball agent definitely has a different understanding of how contracts should be done. The NFL is actually pretty unique when it comes to contracts compared to the other major sports so hiring a guy that has never really negotiated an NFL contract definitely puts them into an interesting situation.

J/S, both sides have significant leverage. And he's not a UFA, and the Hawks have a lot on their plate. I never expected a mega deal to be quick regardless of who his agent is. The whole time I've predicted that it will get done sometime between the week before TC begins and the 2nd PS game. Who knows what kind of effect the agent is having at this point? Schneider has said that talks have been productive and positive, and the agent has said similar things.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this continues the Seahawks will just let him play this year out and Tag him...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Middle ground has to be higher then Cam's deal and less the Rodger's deal. I understand the agent wanting the bank and all but he needs to understand what middle ground is as well.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree with the bolded. You are not the only one that has voiced similar comments on that issue.

The agent will get roughly 3-5% of his clients income as the client gets paid. They do not receive the $ up front.
In the case of a RW contract, let's assume it is a $100M contract paying the agent $4M over the life of the contract. You think a guy would study up to get $4 million? Maybe even to an expert level?
If you are an "expert" MLB agent you have been proven to be smart as an owl and an effective negotiator willing to try any method to get you client the best deal which enhances you own income.
If you were to try to negotiate a major NFL contract for the 1st time, how difficult would it be to break down the top 5 or 10 completed NFL contracts? I mean break down every sentence, paragraph, work out bonus, signing bonus, roster bonus, guarantees ect ect. You could easily hire a couple of attorneys and an mathematician/capologist to do the dirty/boring work and still have millions left over.
For a very smart sports attorney with experience negotiating Major sports client contracts I say it will be time consuming but an easily understood endeavor.
My only question about this is why did RW select this guy?