• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wilson and outside the box contract rumor

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't think we should go any higher than the 4 yr/$80M we offered. that's already overpaying as it is.

no way in the world i want to see him signed for some ridiculous 10 year deal.
4 yr/ $80M...and if RW won't sign for that, what do you suggest the Seahawks do?

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, this is exactly how Sherman's contract was discussed and all others in the league. I didn't invent it.

Let's just look at an example. Let's take the Hawks 80/4 for example and let's give Wilson half of it up front. Deal?

Year 1 - 9.1m against the cap. His base plus 1/5 of the signing bonus (41.5m in his actual pocket)
Year 2 - 5 (extended years) - 18m/yr against the cap. 1/4 of the remaining 40m not given as a bonus, and 1/5 of the bonus per year.

In no way does that work out to be 20m/yr for any year.

It's not accurate to simply say it's all about the 4 years following the end of his current contract.

I know and I'm not attributing it to you, but I just think it's silly since it's a clear player/agent negotiating ploy that only works one way.. i.e. in the case of underperforming contracts, you can't apply the same principle without losing the player outright. While Wilson obviously has not hit that saturation point yet, it's a dangerous precedent to essentially be 'annualizing' pay without considering contract terms. To simply ignore initial projected value (based on draft position) before the expiration of a contract will kill a franchise down the line because every contract/pick falls into a structured pay tier.

That said, for me, the only number I really care about is guaranteed dollars and some of the rumors out there about some insane guaranteed money for Wilson makes me extremely nervous.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more the guaranteed up front money, the more it is spread over 5 years and the more team friendly it is in that way. Of course you screw yourself badly if he gets hurt and you have to pay another QB on top of his dead money.

I really don't like the fully guaranteed thing because of it.

Let him get his 20m/yr and be done with it. That's what I fully expect anyway.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sign contracts for a living. I'm laughing at all this because I don't know what's going on but you guys are trying to figure it out? They are negotiating! Russell is not going anywhere......

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sign contracts for a living. I'm laughing at all this because I don't know what's going on but you guys are trying to figure it out? They are negotiating! Russell is not going anywhere......

Slow time of year. There isn't much else to talk about.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, I'm sure Pats fans would rather talk about this then deflategate.:D

Yeah, I was gonna make a deflategate comment, but feared all the bullsh*t and crap the Pats fans have been spouting on the general board would come over here. There's enough of that over there, IMO.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a contract of 6 years $110 mil with about $40 mil guaranteed sounds fair. Load the guaranteed money over the first 3 years, including signing bonus. Add some escalators to increase the possible total value. That would put his base average cap hit at $18.3 mil.

This seems reasonable to me. At this point, that would put him #8 in AAV just behind Kap. By the time Manning/Brees retire & Kap contract de-escalates in the next couple of seasons, Wilson could be top 5 in AAV. And if he hits the escalators, he could be top 3.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost no one is worried about it. I think one fan up here was? :noidea: The rest of us have been saying just that. Why would anyone be surprised both sides are coming in (still just reports, no confirmation) at just outside of reasonable levels?

No one in the local media is stressing on this, or at least none that I've read/heard. The radio shows I listen to have been telling people this story is nothing major and is just part of the process.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some hard ball going on right now. Does make one worry.

I've been a fan since the very beginning and he's the best QB the team has ever had. I will be a little nervous until he gets his extension.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been a fan since the very beginning and he's the best QB the team has ever had. I will be a little nervous until he gets his extension.
I feel the same. It will be like a big load off the back once this deal gets done.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy smokes, Harold! You need to stand out on the street with a sign saying "Will work for V-cash" :lol:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy smokes, Harold! You need to stand out on the street with a sign saying "Will work for V-cash" :lol:
I know. I should just lose that 8 dollars so I get refilled.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former GM on Russell Wilson's contract, Seahawks' challenge - Brock and Salk | 710 ESPN Seattle

"There are no time constraints involved here just yet. These things have a tendency to get done at the 11th hour and 59th minute," Polian said. "Absent giving the agent everything he wants – and in some cases the agent would turn it down if you gave him everything he wanted – they're going to wait until the 11th hour and 59th minute to do a deal. That's what agents do. Leverage is their friend and they try to create it however they can. So take deep breath, relax, enjoy the season. The likelihood is very strong it'll get done."

The final minute in this case would actually be next offseason as Wilson is under contract for 2015, scheduled to earn a base salary of roughly $1.5 million in what will be the final year of his rookie deal. If a new deal isn't reached before then, a likely course of action for the Seahawks would be to use the franchise tag on Wilson following the 2015 season.

Quite a bit more of his insight in that article.

This is business as usual. You just aren't going to get a resolution to this any time before the start of fall camp this year, and as has been pointed out, may not get resolved this year at all. I still think it does get done this year and Wilson gets some solid guaranteed money, but either way there is zero to be concerned about.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former GM on Russell Wilson's contract, Seahawks' challenge - Brock and Salk | 710 ESPN Seattle

This is business as usual. You just aren't going to get a resolution to this any time before the start of fall camp this year, and as has been pointed out, may not get resolved this year at all. I still think it does get done this year and Wilson gets some solid guaranteed money, but either way there is zero to be concerned about.
I think the Seahawks get this done before the season, but next week I could think differently. Mostly it makes sense to pay him now, because the franchise tag is going up after Luck and others sign. God knows where it ends up.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tag would be above 23m likely. And while it sounds like a player friendly thing to wait for that, it has zero guarantees. Wilson should want this done to get his big payday and ensure no matter what happens that his family is secure for many years to come.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Solid post and I agree.
I thought it would have been over by now but I get it with the time delay. It could happen as late as 11:59.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just write Russell Wilson into Paul Allen's will for an undisclosed amount of money and part ownership of the Seahawks and call it a day.