• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wilson and outside the box contract rumor

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many thought that this would be a high or fully guaranteed contract. Well the rumor i got last week is the sticking point is the length. The Hawks are looking to make him sign one of the longest contracts in NFL History, something like 12+ years. This would allow them to save a lot of money in the long run but still make him one of if not THE highest paid player in the History of the NFL.

No i do not have a link because most of you know where my info comes from ( Thanks hun kisses )

Anyway when i heard this i was a little shocked that i had not thought about it that way but heck NONE of us did or even the talking heads on NFL.com/NFL network or ESPN for that matter. So what are your thoughts on say Russell Wilson signing say a 15 year contract worth 200 Million? That would make his Average 13.3 million per year over the life of the contract but still make him the Highest paid QB ever for a single contract, also the Hawks could front load this contract making his 29-35+ years VERY cap friendly. Thoughts?

Last edited:

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why he would do it. Cap pro-ration for a signing bonus maxes out at 5 years, so Seattle's not going to give him more of a signing bonus. So why not sign a 5-6 year deal and hit FA (or more likely re-up) at age 30-31. The cap will almost assuredly be markedly higher then so he could make significantly more on that 3rd contract.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why he would do it. Cap pro-ration for a signing bonus maxes out at 5 years, so Seattle's not going to give him more of a signing bonus. So why not sign a 5-6 year deal and hit FA (or more likely re-up) at age 30-31. The cap will almost assuredly be markedly higher then so he could make significantly more on that 3rd contract.
there is the rub. Sign him to a seemingly lofty contract now, and in 5 years that contract isn't so hot in comparison to other contracts.

Teams have done this in the past and all it seems to do is start friction between management and the player and often leads to hold outs for re-negotiations. While I don't think RW is that kind of guy, it is still a bad idea to potentially alienate him to save a couple of theoretical bucks. Additionally, does JS really think he will still be around 10 years down the road? If so that is kinda awesome...

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so sick of the RW contract rumors.

-Out of the box

-Breaking news! FULLY guarenteed

-Breaking news! NOT to be fully guarenteed

-Breaking news! RW to possibly play baseball as alternative

-Breaking news! RW IS a priority for Seattle

-Breaking news! RW might not be priority and will play out rookie deal

-Breaking news! RW is prepareing to possibly play out rookie deal

-Breaking news! Jameis wilson signs contract saying no baseball. RW???

-Breaking news! I officially dont give a schit until he signs it,,,,WHICH he will.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO. Just look at the NHL which dose this all the time, and about 4 to five years into the contract the teams are regretting it because the players are not living up to the contract and the teams just have to eat it. Also this is the NFL one play, one tackle or one misstep (or having to play on Redskins turf again) and he's injured. Now your stuck with a contract for lets say six more years or more. (hopefully never happens, knock on wood) We'd all be upset with the dead money. After all the NFL average length in the league is only three years for a reason. Now with the NFL starting to force soft hitting it might increase but as much as I love Wilson, I would be upset in the Seahawks if they did a 10 year contract.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so sick of the RW contract rumors.

-Out of the box

-Breaking news! FULLY guarenteed

-Breaking news! NOT to be fully guarenteed

-Breaking news! RW to possibly play baseball as alternative

-Breaking news! RW IS a priority for Seattle

-Breaking news! RW might not be priority and will play out rookie deal

-Breaking news! RW is prepareing to possibly play out rookie deal

-Breaking news! Jameis wilson signs contract saying no baseball. RW???

-Breaking news! I officially dont give a schit until he signs it,,,,WHICH he will.

I'm sure your not alone. Why not do like the others that are tired of hearing about RW and ignore them? Let those of us that like to hash out the rumors enjoy ourselves.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many thought that this would be a high or fully guaranteed contract. Well the rumor i got last week is the sticking point is the length. The Hawks are looking to make him sign one of the longest contracts in NFL History, something like 12+ years. This would allow them to save a lot of money in the long run but still make him one of if not THE highest paid player in the History of the NFL.

No i do not have a link because most of you know where my info comes from ( Thanks hun kisses )

Anyway when i heard this i was a little shocked that i had not thought about it that way but heck NONE of us did or even the talking heads on NFL.com/NFL network or ESPN for that matter. So what are your thoughts on say Russell Wilson signing say a 15 year contract worth 200 Million? That would make his Average 13.3 million per year over the life of the contract but still make him the Highest paid QB ever for a single contract, also the Hawks could front load this contract making his 29-35+ years VERY cap friendly. Thoughts?
Outside the box for sure. Not to sure it's good for either party however, for all the reasons given in the above posts.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm imagining a Bobby Bonilla/Mets kinda deal.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO. Just look at the NHL which dose this all the time, and about 4 to five years into the contract the teams are regretting it because the players are not living up to the contract and the teams just have to eat it. Also this is the NFL one play, one tackle or one misstep (or having to play on Redskins turf again) and he's injured. Now your stuck with a contract for lets say six more years or more. (hopefully never happens, knock on wood) We'd all be upset with the dead money. After all the NFL average length in the league is only three years for a reason. Now with the NFL starting to force soft hitting it might increase but as much as I love Wilson, I would be upset in the Seahawks if they did a 10 year contract.
The signing bonus cap hit is gone after 5 years, so whether it's a 5 year contract or a 10 year deal it really won't change the cap implications, so not sure where the aversion to a 10 year contract comes from there. The goodness for the team in the longer term deal is you may be getting a top quality player for what is a bargain price by the time we get to the back half of those years. The team is not "stuck" with the contract or saddled with a bunch of dead money when you've already made it through the SB proration.

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't think we should go any higher than the 4 yr/$80M we offered. that's already overpaying as it is.

no way in the world i want to see him signed for some ridiculous 10 year deal.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People need to stop the panic over the RW situation. Appears the only stories the press wants to push with this team is hysteria level coverage of players contracts. Same crap with the BeastMode non-stop negativity over his contract extension.

I don't know why they've chosen to single out this franchise with this crap, but it probably has something to do with east coast lazy bias and that the Seahawks do a lot of things in contrarian fashion to the rest of the NFL when it comes to how they build their roster and style of play.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't think we should go any higher than the 4 yr/$80M we offered. that's already overpaying as it is.

:wtf: That 4 year 80 deal actually works out to be around 16m/yr. How is that overpaying? Remember he still has a year left so it's really a 5 year deal. I mean he's clearly not worth the 4/120 purportedly that they are seeking, but 80 is way low.

This is nothing more than how tough negotiations are done. Both sides start off a bit to the ridiculous side and work toward something both can live with. In the end I'm sure it ends up being somewhere in the middle. 19m/yr?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf: That 4 year 80 deal actually works out to be around 16m/yr. How is that overpaying? Remember he still has a year left so it's really a 5 year deal. I mean he's clearly not worth the 4/120 purportedly that they are seeking, but 80 is way low.

This is nothing more than how tough negotiations are done. Both sides start off a bit to the ridiculous side and work toward something both can live with. In the end I'm sure it ends up being somewhere in the middle. 19m/yr?
I'm pretty sure it will be more then that and he worth ever penny. Does anybody here want to go back to clip board Jesus ability? I think not.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the team going for over 20m/yr. They would go to franchise tag if they can't have him sign something less.

This process won't be settled any time soon. Earliest it could happen would be shortly before camp starts. Won't be surprised if it isn't signed by preseason. It doesn't mean there is a problem.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That length of time is ridiculously long for pro football.

I'd be surprised if it was longer than six years.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A 10 year deal would be great for the team, but the player probably doesn't want it. More earning potential if you get to negotiate another deal (and another signing bonus) after 5 years.

droider

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wait, how does 4 yr/$80M equal $16M? :scratch:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wait, how does 4 yr/$80M equal $16M? :scratch:
How did you not get the rest posted? :noidea:

It's a 4 year EXTENSION that adds back his year left. That turns it into a 5yr deal with his base salary not changing for next season (1.5) and yet his signing bonus spread out over that year, and the 4 extended to. That turns it into a 5yr/81.5m deal = 16.3m/yr.

Look, I'm not the one making this up. Read every article on it. Read what Oneil had to say on it. THEY are terming it that way.

Basically the incentive to have someone sign before their last contract year is to get a better deal for that year as well. His base doesn't change, but giving him 30-40m up front sure does change everything.

droider

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand, but framing it that way is flawed because he's already under contract for next year and that can't be voided. If something were to happen where he wasn't signed until next offseason, it's not like he would then be "due" some kind of retroactive bonus simply because he only made $1.5M during his final year. He would just get paid at his new rate going forward. Or he could just be franchised.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand, but framing it that way is flawed because he's already under contract for next year and that can't be voided. If something were to happen where he wasn't signed until next offseason, it's not like he would then be "due" some kind of retroactive bonus simply because he only made $1.5M during his final year. He would just get paid at his new rate going forward. Or he could just be franchised.
Again, this is exactly how Sherman's contract was discussed and all others in the league. I didn't invent it.

Let's just look at an example. Let's take the Hawks 80/4 for example and let's give Wilson half of it up front. Deal?

Year 1 - 9.1m against the cap. His base plus 1/5 of the signing bonus (41.5m in his actual pocket)
Year 2 - 5 (extended years) - 18m/yr against the cap. 1/4 of the remaining 40m not given as a bonus, and 1/5 of the bonus per year.

In no way does that work out to be 20m/yr for any year.

It's not accurate to simply say it's all about the 4 years following the end of his current contract.