• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Logan Wilson extended

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Four year extension. Keeps him here for the next 5 years. It would have been hard for me to believe that they would extend both Pratt and Wilson, but they did it and they really got favorable deals for both of them. The future of this D is really looking good.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of upfront money, too. Bengals have the cap space this year to extend a few guys, pay them early - and that will allow them to use the future cap space to spread out contracts for Burrow, Chase, and Higgins.

Another big key for the defense is going to be Reader. While it's not the usual to extend guys into their 30's, I think a 3 year extension would only put him at 31, and DT's don't age like skill position guys. Reader is so key to what this defense does, you have to (IMO) work something to extend him. Not to mention, there just isn't a ton of guys out there that fill the role he does at NT/DT. Finding a replacement for a younger version would certainly come at a cost - and drafting a guy would take at least a year to get them properly vetted for the role.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of upfront money, too. Bengals have the cap space this year to extend a few guys, pay them early - and that will allow them to use the future cap space to spread out contracts for Burrow, Chase, and Higgins.

Another big key for the defense is going to be Reader. While it's not the usual to extend guys into their 30's, I think a 3 year extension would only put him at 31, and DT's don't age like skill position guys. Reader is so key to what this defense does, you have to (IMO) work something to extend him. Not to mention, there just isn't a ton of guys out there that fill the role he does at NT/DT. Finding a replacement for a younger version would certainly come at a cost - and drafting a guy would take at least a year to get them properly vetted for the role.
I agree with you, but I really think they are going to let Reader walk and pray they can get serviceable help. They can't afford many stars on defense if they are going to stick $100 million a year on 3 players on offense.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still not convinced we keep 2 #1 quality wide receivers. they will draft someone serviceable.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you, but I really think they are going to let Reader walk and pray they can get serviceable help. They can't afford many stars on defense if they are going to stick $100 million a year on 3 players on offense.
I think that depends. So far, Pratt and Wilson are taking good contracts, but they are absolutely team friendly. If Reader wants to stay, lead this defense like he has, and know that on the other side of the ball they still have Burrow, Chase and maybe Higgins.....I mean....that's enticing.

I do think they will make an offer. What it will be, I don't know...but so far, we've seen really good players pass up bigger paydays on the open market to sign compromise deals to stay in Cincinnati....

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still not convinced we keep 2 #1 quality wide receivers. they will draft someone serviceable.
And this is the crux of the matter.

Burrow is getting paid.

Chase is getting paid.

Can they also get Higgins on board?

Do all 3 sign a deal that allows them all to stay together? I don't know...but so far, we're seeing guys take deals that are fair on both sides, pass up bigger paydays on the open market, and remain in Cincinnati....

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what the hell is the hold up with Burrow? Are we trying to save money to pay the signing bonus and guarantee? If so, ti may be next year before we can afford it. If that is the case, Higgins is not getting resigned. He will be a free agent and we will never match an open market contract for him. Only way to sign them for less is before there are bidding wars and other suitors.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what the hell is the hold up with Burrow? Are we trying to save money to pay the signing bonus and guarantee? If so, ti may be next year before we can afford it. If that is the case, Higgins is not getting resigned. He will be a free agent and we will never match an open market contract for him. Only way to sign them for less is before there are bidding wars and other suitors.
As with many of the contracts - there is little information to know what the exact issues are, assuming there are any real issues. Sometimes it just takes time to hammer everything out. We likely won't ever really know.

Maybe the next domino to fall for Burrow is Higgins....working to get him under a contract that he is OK with, and then Burrow. Maybe that's the wait since Burrow might be willing to structure things in a manner that will allow the team to keep both Chase and Higgins...

Or, maybe they are just haggling over how to get everything squared in terms of dollars and years.

But, in the grand scheme of things....I don't think it's a big deal. It'll get done.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Brown can only read 2 or 3 pages of text before needing a nap these days. It will take him a long time to get through the Burrow contract before we're ready for signing.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Brown can only read 2 or 3 pages of text before needing a nap these days. It will take him a long time to get through the Burrow contract before we're ready for signing.
Funny, but I don't think Brown has a ton of say any longer. Katie, and her husband, are pretty much the ones doing everything now days. I'm sure Brown is aware and given reports, but from all that's been said over the past few years, it doesn't seem he is in the weeds with these types of things any longer.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, but I don't think Brown has a ton of say any longer. Katie, and her husband, are pretty much the ones doing everything now days. I'm sure Brown is aware and given reports, but from all that's been said over the past few years, it doesn't seem he is in the weeds with these types of things any longer.
I don't get the sense he's involved much either. I thought it was interesting that he didn't attend the Ken Riley HOF ceremony. He said he can't really do that sort of long day in the heat anymore. The man is 88! As much as the man has caused me too much sports fan agony over the past few decades, I would love to see him hoist the Lombardi one time.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the sense he's involved much either. I thought it was interesting that he didn't attend the Ken Riley HOF ceremony. He said he can't really do that sort of long day in the heat anymore. The man is 88! As much as the man has caused me too much sports fan agony over the past few decades, I would love to see him hoist the Lombardi one time.
I've always argued with those who said Brown didn't want to win, and that he was more concerned with money. Yes, I think money was on his mind, but I also think he was stuck in 1970's/1980's when his dad still ran the team and more importantly HOW his dad ran the team. His refusal to embrace free agency is largely what hindered the 90's franchise. It sucks that when he passed, just before F/A became a thing, it really sunk Mike into a pattern of running the business like his dad did to keep his memory alive, and that it came with a cost to the franchise as a whole. Thankfully, starting with Lewis roughly a decade later, we did start to see some small changes. Finally, with the hiring of Taylor and Brown stepping aside for Katie...we've seen a full replacement of those ideals that has allowed the team to move into the current era of NFL. Sucks that it took 25+years to get there, but here we are....

I believe he wanted to win, but he wanted to win HIS way...and that way was severely outdated, and rooted in keeping with how his father ran things and keeping his memory alive. It didn't help when the Bengals would have small stretches (when Boomer returned, Palmer/Johnson in 2005, and again with Dalton/Green) through bottom tier F/A signings and draft picks that struck gold...I think finally after watching Dalton/Green struggle after that 2015 explosion year, and then the subsequent fall out of not paying to surround them with players to extend that window, or win playoff games finally came to a head with him relinquishing control over to Katie after Lewis moved on and allowed Katie to find the next coach in Taylor.

That started the new era that we are seeing here with a focus on the draft, free agency where guys are actually paid, but a clear directive to get younger and not just find F/A guys on their last contract, or in their 30's. Then of course, you need a little luck, which came in the form of Burrow - and the rest, I guess you could say, is history.

I agree with you, I hope he gets a chance to raise the Lombardi. The Brown family has been instrumental in the NFL and its rising, thanks to Paul. The 90's were certainly a dark time for Bengal fans, but there have been worse stretches in other franchises, believe it or not, and thankfully - the Bengals have come out of the other side....

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As with many of the contracts - there is little information to know what the exact issues are, assuming there are any real issues. Sometimes it just takes time to hammer everything out. We likely won't ever really know.

Maybe the next domino to fall for Burrow is Higgins....working to get him under a contract that he is OK with, and then Burrow. Maybe that's the wait since Burrow might be willing to structure things in a manner that will allow the team to keep both Chase and Higgins...

Or, maybe they are just haggling over how to get everything squared in terms of dollars and years.

But, in the grand scheme of things....I don't think it's a big deal. It'll get done.
Hope so. You are more optimistic than me. Three weeks before the season begins and negotiations end for Burrow and Higgins.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope so. You are more optimistic than me. Three weeks before the season begins and negotiations end for Burrow and Higgins.
I don't know that's the case. While many players do not like to negotiate in-season, I don't think I've seen anything that has said either player has put a hardline stance on getting this done.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that's the case. While many players do not like to negotiate in-season, I don't think I've seen anything that has said either player has put a hardline stance on getting this done.
I thought I had heard both were not going to deal with business in season.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I had heard both were not going to deal with business in season.
You could be right. Not sure...but, it'll be what it'll be.

Contracts just aren't worth getting worried over for me. Eventually, nearly everyone leaves. I mean, if TB can leave NE.......

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Burrow, I would assume the contract could easily be done in the middle of a season. The team has too much control over his future even without a new contract. He's in the 4th year of a 5 year deal and the franchise tag for a 6th season is very affordable for a guy of Burrow's talent. Hell, even a second tag season (season 7) would be a better deal than most. So, there really isn't any incentive for an agent to close up shop and wait for free agency. Both sides have every reason to get it done - The delays could be meaningful (maybe they are still far apart) or they could have to do with logistics (maybe cash gets moved easier based off the timing of the deal or maybe they are trying to sign Higgins first to determine how much to push in the signing bonus vs. how much to push to a future guarantee. There is just no way of knowing. Kudos to both sides for keeping quiet about it the whole time.

With Higgins, I have to believe that we either sign him in the next 2 weeks or we will not be giving him a long-term deal. Next year he'll be on the tag which means he'll likely skip most of camp and be in the same situation Bates was in. The Bengals really only control him for 2 more seasons..... If they let one begin before signing him, I don't think an agent will be willing to negotiate unless the Bengals are prepared to bowl them over.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Burrow, I would assume the contract could easily be done in the middle of a season. The team has too much control over his future even without a new contract. He's in the 4th year of a 5 year deal and the franchise tag for a 6th season is very affordable for a guy of Burrow's talent. Hell, even a second tag season (season 7) would be a better deal than most. So, there really isn't any incentive for an agent to close up shop and wait for free agency. Both sides have every reason to get it done - The delays could be meaningful (maybe they are still far apart) or they could have to do with logistics (maybe cash gets moved easier based off the timing of the deal or maybe they are trying to sign Higgins first to determine how much to push in the signing bonus vs. how much to push to a future guarantee. There is just no way of knowing. Kudos to both sides for keeping quiet about it the whole time.

With Higgins, I have to believe that we either sign him in the next 2 weeks or we will not be giving him a long-term deal. Next year he'll be on the tag which means he'll likely skip most of camp and be in the same situation Bates was in. The Bengals really only control him for 2 more seasons..... If they let one begin before signing him, I don't think an agent will be willing to negotiate unless the Bengals are prepared to bowl them over.
To add the additional on Burrow - he has said several times, he wants a deal that also helps keep Higgins and Chase in the fold. I think getting a contract for them also likely takes time because you are trying to work two contracts, not just simultaneously, but also connected in how they are structured so that everyone is happy and remains in the fold.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To add the additional on Burrow - he has said several times, he wants a deal that also helps keep Higgins and Chase in the fold. I think getting a contract for them also likely takes time because you are trying to work two contracts, not just simultaneously, but also connected in how they are structured so that everyone is happy and remains in the fold.
This is why I think next week is the real deadline. I'm guessing that the parameters for Burrow's deal are set - But there are still some options such as how much money to put in a signing bonus or in future guaranteed bonus payments. These parameters could all change if they want to do additional contracts this offseason (i.e. Tee or maybe one of the defensive guys). But, as mentioned before, if the season begins without a deal for Tee, I don't see his agent pushing any further. So, right before the season we should either see multiple contracts being finished or we will see a single deal for Burrow. In the latter case, it would indicate to me that they didn't get close enough with Tee and he's heading for the FC next season.