• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will the Lakers miss the playoffs?

Will the Lakers miss the playoffs?

• Yes

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're 15-21. Lost 6 straight and are sitting at the 11th spot in the West, 5 1/2 games behind the Blazers for the 8th seed. It was unfathomable before the season started, but is now a reality.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I could care less. I hope they suck for the next 20 yrs.

And no. They have no chemistry even with Dwight and Gasol. If they were in east they could slip in but the west is at least above .500 to get in.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably. Too much shit going with constant injuries and such. They can't even address the defensive chemistry issues because its been rare that everyone is healthy at the same time. So now the hole is too big. Only way they make it is if they go on a streak starting now and one of the teams in the playoffs currently (like Portland) goes in a funk. To put it simply, they have to win yet they'll still need help

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're going to miss, and NO, it was not unfathomable.......some of us predicted this.

Howard was a very SLIGHT upgrade to Bynum, so that was a lateral move.

Nash was just a horrible move no matter how you slice it. A damn near 40 year old that can't play defense at the most crucial spot on the floor even when he was 20 is just a BAD MOVE.

The key issues the Lakers have had for years is defending dribble penetration and outside shooters. NONE of these signings addresses those issues. Given that their primary competition in the west if they were to contend are the Thunder and the Spurs, this team was tailor made to FAIL in quite spectacular fashion.

What I can't figure out is WHY they aren't dumping salary RIGHT NOW. Artest, Gasol, Howard, and Nash should not be wearing Laker uniforms next year. Howard isn't going to resign anyway. They need youth in the worst way, and have pretty much no pieces anyone covets. They're going to be screwed for a long time unless they draft the next Kobe in the next few years.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I can't figure out is WHY they aren't dumping salary RIGHT NOW.

They need to commit to the rebuild today. They might make the playoffs but they won't win a series. Dr. Buss has got to know that. Kobe needs to another long offseason to prolong his career anyway.

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're going to miss, and NO, it was not unfathomable.......some of us predicted this.

Howard was a very SLIGHT upgrade to Bynum, so that was a lateral move.

Nash was just a horrible move no matter how you slice it. A damn near 40 year old that can't play defense at the most crucial spot on the floor even when he was 20 is just a BAD MOVE.

The key issues the Lakers have had for years is defending dribble penetration and outside shooters. NONE of these signings addresses those issues. Given that their primary competition in the west if they were to contend are the Thunder and the Spurs, this team was tailor made to FAIL in quite spectacular fashion.

What I can't figure out is WHY they aren't dumping salary RIGHT NOW. Artest, Gasol, Howard, and Nash should not be wearing Laker uniforms next year. Howard isn't going to resign anyway. They need youth in the worst way, and have pretty much no pieces anyone covets. They're going to be screwed for a long time unless they draft the next Kobe in the next few years.

Well, considering the Lakers have only missed the playoffs twice since Kobe was born, I'd say it was somewhat unfathomable. But if you called it then big props to you.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, you really, really should have put money on this. No telling what kind of odds the Vegas books were giving before the season.

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers are not going to make it this year,,,they are pretty bad and I don't see them getting it together to make a run

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will not make it. They already have a defeatist attitude with Kobe saying in the media that they're too old and slow. Also, Kobe and Howard are clashing.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't dumping salary because there's no need. All their big contracts run out in 2014 and 15, the same time many younger stars rookie extensions (people from the 08,09,10 draft classes depending on individual contract structures) will be expiring and also Lebron James as well. Their books work out surprisingly well. They knew going in its a 2 year window with Kobe and Nash to win and when it expires, they're ready with cash to lure in whoever is on the market.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard is the Terrell Owens of basketball.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still a lot of time left, but it's not looking good.

They need a big winning streak bad. Like an 8 or 9 game one.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you really, really should have put money on this. No telling what kind of odds the Vegas books were giving before the season.

well to be honest I didn't predict they'd miss the playoffs.......I predicted they'd lose in the first round because there was no way this roster could handle the Thunder or the Spurs, not with Nash at PG - I was called crazy and a hater.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In the slim chance that the Lakers find themselves in the #7 playoff spot, they won't want to face D-Fish. Why not sign the guy if nothing else than to keep him away from Western Conference contenders?

Last edited by a moderator:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In the slim chance that the Lakers find themselves in the #7 playoff spot, they won't want to face D-Fish. Why not sign the guy if nothing else than to keep him away from Western Conference contenders?

The Lakers could have used a better backup PG than Steve Blake. They NEED to make the 7th seed if they want a realistic chance at winning even one playoff game. If they make the 8 spot and draw the Spurs they're out in 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, facing the Spurs will expose every weakness they have. Pop will eat them alive with his gameplan. I'd watch it just to see pure team basketball triumph over heaps of individual talent.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers could have used a better backup PG than Steve Blake. They NEED to make the 7th seed if they want a realistic chance at winning even one playoff game. If they make the 8 spot and draw the Spurs they're out in 4.

Blake is shitty. Sunday I saw him throw up bricks, airballs. It was rough watching him.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, facing the Spurs will expose every weakness they have. Pop will eat them alive with his gameplan. I'd watch it just to see pure team basketball triumph over heaps of individual talent.

I still don't get why this team is still together. Just looking at the salary cap next year.......you'd be paying over 100 million in luxury taxes for a sub-.500 team.

I just don't get it. Are Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak this out of touch with reality, or just stubborn?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blake is shitty. Sunday I saw him throw up bricks, airballs. It was rough watching him.

This was the question I posed when this team was put together. HOW do Nash and Blake even slow down Parker or Westbrook? Thats a layup drill all day, and cheap fouls on Howard having to rotate over.