• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Julius Peppers go down as a top 10 defensive player of all time?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peppers is the best edge defender of the last 20 year not counting J.J. Watt.

That includes the overated one DeMarcus Ware. And Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Simeon Rice, Michael Strahan, Jason Taylor, John Abraham, Clay Matthews, Cameron Wake, Mario Williams, Jason Pierre Paul, Justin Houston, Von Miller, Khalil Mack, Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, Vic Beasley, etc. And the great James Harrison who is a monster of a man in his own right.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course I do... if we count the all time sack list from before 1982 Peppers would still be 8th all time with a chance to move up the list further if he continues to play after this season.

. Click here to view all time sack list from before 1982 to present day. This was from last year though before Peppers 7.5 sacks this season.

NFL Career Sacks Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com. Official sack leader list
The Elias Sports Bureau debunked that list... Those pre-1982 numbers are completely subjective
The ESB feels as if there is no need to revise the history before 1982 because it would be impossible. They claim it would be impossible because there is no uniformity, because there was no standard definition of a sack before 1982, because then you fall into that statistical booby trap of comparing generations, and therefore, to go back to the play-by-play sheets and videotapes is both time-consuming and useless. In fact, Seymour Siwoff of Elias told Pro Football Weekly a couple of years ago that the only reason sacks were adopted as an official statistic in 1982 is because an increased number of incentive clauses and bonuses were built into contracts. This led to increased complaints and queries about statistics, which essentially, Siwoff said, "forced our hand."

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Elias Sports Bureau debunked that list... Those pre-1982 numbers are completely subjective

Ok don't count the list then, Peppers is 5th all time on the official sack list. But like I pointed out, Peppers is far more than just a one trick pony pass rusher.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok don't count the list then, Peppers is 5th all time on the official sack list. But like I pointed out, Peppers is far more than just a one trick pony pass rusher.
He is no doubt a 1st ballot HOFer... But like many people have already said, top 10 all-time is a stretch.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using the stats you posted Jack Youngblood had seven more sacks in 40 less starts. You mentioned not giving players of today enough credit when you not giving players from the past enough credit seems to be more of an issue...

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a top ten edge rusher of all time for sure. However, a top ten defensive player of all time I just don't see it. Even with maybe 1-2 more years under his belt his production and overall play and accolades wouldn't place him in that category. He's never won the defensive POY. He's been a first team all pro only three times and second team all pro 3 times. Other edge rushers like Bruce Smith made the first team all pro 9 times and second team twice with 2 defensive POY awards. Strahan had 4 first's and 2 second's with one DPOY. If anything that would put Strahan in over him. Most would have a hard time putting him in the top 20 all time right now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using the stats you posted Jack Youngblood had seven more sacks in 40 less starts. You mentioned not giving players of today enough credit when you not giving players from the past enough credit seems to be more of an issue...

FaCe pointed out that list isn't credible so who knows how many sacks Jack had. Regardless thoughYoungblood wasn't as good as Peppers was. He wasn't the all around force that Peppers is and he didn't make it to the Hall of Fame until many years after he was eligible. Great player just not top 10 great lIke the player wearing #56 for the Packers.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FaCe pointed out that list isn't credible so who knows how many sacks Jack had. Regardless thoughYoungblood wasn't as good as Peppers was. He wasn't the all around force that Peppers is and he didn't make it to the Hall of Fame until many years after he was eligible. Great player just not top 10 great lIke the player wearing #56 for the Packers.

Not buying "top 10 all time". But yes, he is a 1st ballot HOF'er for sure.

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peppers is the best edge defender of the last 20 year not counting J.J. Watt.

That includes the overated one DeMarcus Ware. And Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Simeon Rice, Michael Strahan, Jason Taylor, John Abraham, Clay Matthews, Cameron Wake, Mario Williams, Jason Pierre Paul, Justin Houston, Von Miller, Khalil Mack, Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, Vic Beasley, etc. And the great James Harrison who is a monster of a man in his own right.
lol dware overrated? Now I know your just trolling.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a top ten edge rusher of all time for sure. However, a top ten defensive player of all time I just don't see it. Even with maybe 1-2 more years under his belt his production and overall play and accolades wouldn't place him in that category. He's never won the defensive POY. He's been a first team all pro only three times and second team all pro 3 times. Other edge rushers like Bruce Smith made the first team all pro 9 times and second team twice with 2 defensive POY awards. Strahan had 4 first's and 2 second's with one DPOY. If anything that would put Strahan in over him. Most would have a hard time putting him in the top 20 all time right now.

Many great players haven't won the DPOY Award, players like Ronnie Lott, Brian Dawkins, DeMarcus Ware, Jared Allen, Darelle Revis, Patrick Willis, Chris Doleman, John Randle, Ndamukong Suh, etc. But Peppers very well could have won the Award in 2004... Ed Reed is great and all but Peppers should have won it.

Carolina Panthers: Best and worst draft picks

A two-sport star at UNC, Peppers' athleticism made him unique among his peers. How he lost out on the NFL Defensive Player of the Year award in 2004 -- a season in which he scored two touchdowns in addition to his 11 sacks -- remains one of the sport's unsung travesties.

But the DPOY Award is subjective just like all pro teams and voted on by biased media members who don't always get it right. Peppers should have been 1st team all pro in 2008 over Allen or Tuck and I'm sure he should of made 1st team all pro other years as well. Also he should have been a pro bowler in 2002 and 2014, Tamba Hali getting into the pro bowl over Peppers in 2014 was a joke.

Bruce Smith was great and is a top 10 defensive player imo. Although he was an 8 time first team all pro not 9 like you stated, and 3 time second team all pro. He was great. I would put Peppers up there with him though because of all the game changing plays Peppers has made, Peppers made more splash game changing plays than Smith did but Smith was better at getting sacks. As far as Strahan, Peppers is light years more dominant than ol Strahan. Peppers has more sacks, way more forced fumbles, interceptions, blocked kicks, passes defensed, more fumble recoveries, touchdowns, double digit sack seasons, pro bowls, etc. Strahan isn't quite in Pep's league. Jason Taylor is more comparable to Peppers and made tons of game changing plays himself, but wasn't as good against the run as Peppers.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All around force? He is a good pass rusher not great, career high of 14.5 is 94th best all time. He is good against the run not great, Peppers 227 starts 522 tackles, Chris Doleman 213 starts 914 tackles.

Peppers has been a very good player for most of his career, he has never been truly dominating. I named 10 defensive players who played in the NFC North who were better and I can easily list 10 defensive lineman who are better.

We get it you like Peppers, so do most of the people who have posted here. Top 10 all time on defense is ridiculous, if you wanna argue top 50 then maybe we will be in agreement.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol dware overrated? Now I know your just trolling.

Ware was a great player yes but a bit overrated, he was more of a one trick pony pass rusher who neglected his responsibility at times against the run to chase the sack numbers. Great player but not quite Peppers great.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 thing for sure. He is no jabril peppers.
Michigan man is going to be monster!!!! Just ask the media types

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All around force? He is a good pass rusher not great, career high of 14.5 is 94th best all time. He is good against the run not great, Peppers 227 starts 522 tackles, Chris Doleman 213 starts 914 tackles.

Peppers has been a very good player for most of his career, he has never been truly dominating. I named 10 defensive players who played in the NFC North who were better and I can easily list 10 defensive lineman who are better.

We get it you like Peppers, so do most of the people who have posted here. Top 10 all time on defense is ridiculous, if you wanna argue top 50 then maybe we will be in agreement.

Yea Peppers is a great pass rusher, 9 double digit sack seasons backs that up. And as I pointed out he was much more than just a one trick pony pass rusher, he made TONS of game changing impact plays. And he was great in his prime against the run, not all about tackle numbers, Peppers set the edge and took on double teams which allowed the linebackers to flow to the ball to make tackles.

Never truly dominating? You gotta be kidding me man, Peppers is one of the most dominant players of ALL TIME. His stats, accolades, and impact producing game changing plays back that up.

You pointed out a couple players in the NFC North as good as Peppers but the others can only dream about it. No way in H E double hockey sticks there are 10 defensive lineman better than Peppers.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Peppers is a great pass rusher, 9 double digit sack seasons backs that up. And as I pointed out he was much more than just a one trick pony pass rusher, he made TONS of game changing impact plays. And he was great in his prime against the run, not all about tackle numbers, Peppers set the edge and took on double teams which allowed the linebackers to flow to the ball to make tackles.

Never truly dominating? You gotta be kidding me man, Peppers is one of the most dominant players of ALL TIME. His stats, accolades, and impact producing game changing plays back that up.

You pointed out a couple players in the NFC North as good as Peppers but the others can only dream about it. No way in H E double hockey sticks there are 10 defensive lineman better than Peppers.

Leslie O'Neal had 8 double digit sack seasons and played 2 less seasons than Peppers did. Is he top 10?