• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why Russell Wilson isn't elite yet - ESPN Insider

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? #1 is QBR? Fuck off ESPN. I'm not implying Russell Wilson is 'elite' but that is ridiculous. The most useless head scratching DUMB stat of all time is QBR....
Yea, I don't know why ESPN insists on using this garbage stat still.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. An article based on QBR. That's the stat that put a Tebow game where he threw like 100 yards over Rodgers who threw for 300+ and ended it in the first half.

QBR is garbage. Everybody knows it's garbage. It's time for ESPN to move on.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here's the thing, how many articles has this guy written about other QB's who "aren't elite"? The very fact that he felt he needed to write an entire ESPN article to tell people RW isn't elite seems to be proof that he's at the very least in the discussion for it. I mean if it was so glaringly obvious he not "elite" there wouldn't need to be a scientific diagnosis of some very specific stats in order to disprove it would there? To paraphrase Shakespeare: "I believe the writer doth protest too much".

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here's the thing, how many articles has this guy written about other QB's who "aren't elite"? The very fact that he felt he needed to write an entire ESPN article to tell people RW isn't elite seems to be proof that he's at the very least in the discussion for it. I mean if it was so glaringly obvious he not "elite" there wouldn't need to be a scientific diagnosis of some very specific stats in order to disprove it would there? To paraphrase Shakespeare: "I believe the writer doth protest too much".
Good point!
Now where else might one find a schlocked up scientific report?????

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is too funny. Russell Wilson had the highest Total QBR in NCAA History during his Senior year (93.9). Andrew Luck had a Total QBR of 82.9 and RG3 had a Total QBR of 82.5. That means that they were three times as far away from perfection as Russ was.

So did ESPN say Russell Wilson should win the Heisman? Of course not. Apparently, Russell wasn't worthy because his offensive line inflated his stats. It was all about Andrew "I couldn't carry Russell's jock strap" Luck.

Then as a pro, Russell puts up EXCELLENT stats behind a TERRIBLE line. So is Russ ranked as the best? Of course not. Now all of a sudden QBR is everything. Well, it will be everything until Russ has a good line and his QBR is ten points ahead of Luck's. Then all of a sudden, QBR will be irrelevant again (until Russ' OL sucks again and so on and so forth until they retire).

Mark87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is too funny. Russell Wilson had the highest Total QBR in NCAA History during his Senior year (93.9). Andrew Luck had a Total QBR of 82.9 and RG3 had a Total QBR of 82.5. That means that they were three times as far away from perfection as Russ was.

So did ESPN say Russell Wilson should win the Heisman? Of course not. Apparently, Russell wasn't worthy because his offensive line inflated his stats. It was all about Andrew "I couldn't carry Russell's jock strap" Luck.

Then as a pro, Russell puts up EXCELLENT stats behind a TERRIBLE line. So is Russ ranked as the best? Of course not. Now all of a sudden QBR is everything. Well, it will be everything until Russ has a good line and his QBR is ten points ahead of Luck's. Then all of a sudden, QBR will be irrelevant again (until Russ' OL sucks again and so on and so forth until they retire).

Agree ! It's not like the Seahawks had elite weapons around him last year and still he takes them to a SB. Go ahead and let him walk.. who are they going to draft that understands a pro offense out the gate ? What FA QB will grab that will be as good ? :noidea:

In this era of spread QB with limited pro passing ability letting one walk that does would be rather stupid. :L

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Packers game wasn't all Wilsons fault .... 2 of those 4 picks hit the Kearse right in his hands and he pooched both up in the air where they got picked ... Wilson is going into 2015 with some better targets, let's see how he does ....

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his o-line gets a bad rap they have the longest average pocket time of any o-line over the last 3 years per PFF. (average time to throw and average time in the pocket)

He makes that time happen though being so elusive in the pocket .... He extends plays ... Our O-line has not been very good in pass protection trust me ...

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He makes that time happen though being so elusive in the pocket .... He extends plays ... Our O-line has not been very good in pass protection trust me ...
That's the problem with stats. You can use them to fit your story. Some of those plays are designed roll outs which also takes time. But this stat doesn't take that into account.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the problem with stats. You can use them to fit your story. Some of those plays are designed roll outs which also takes time. But this stat doesn't take that into account.

True ....

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not for the worst play call in the history of American professional sports in the Super Bowl, Russell Wilson is widely considered to be elite and Tom Brady retires in utter disgrace.

That one play changed the entire scene of the league.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using one stat is almost always a loser. I get that ESPN wants to hype their stat but it is just one of many.

Last year, Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck had essentially the same QBR rating. Yet Joyner isn't writing articles about how Luck isn't elite.

Meanwhile, Eli Manning had a markedly better rating, 7 points higher than Luck and 8 higher than Wilson. Would anyone have seriously taken Manning last year over either of them? Manning's numbers are inflated because he had some huge plays to Beckham.

I think QBR is a pretty interesting stat but it is hardly definitive.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not for the worst play call in the history of American professional sports in the Super Bowl, Russell Wilson is widely considered to be elite and Tom Brady retires in utter disgrace.

That one play changed the entire scene of the league.
Some might suggest it wrote another chapter in football lore?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would know.
Though it is difficult to argue facts. Why not try bringing some to the table every so often, instead of biased BS?

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is all stuff football fans know...like his numbers inside the pocket, and red zone.