• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why no love for my Vikings?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If my memory serves me right, the Minnesota Vikings won the NFC North last year, correct? So why does every preseason magazine have Green Bay winning the North? I know Jordy Nelson is back but they have big questions on defense and as far as I can tell Minnesota should be better this year. Our "D" was downright nasty the last few games and all of the main cogs are still there. Just wondering what everyone thinks about this?
The Packers have the best QB in the NFL and the Vikings offense is just mediocre.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of good young defensive players and a great defensive coach in Minnesota. As they and their chemistry grows, that defense will become one of the best in the NFL
Their defense is good but not great.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be right but I believe the Vikings were just a fart in the wind last season.

They could be because of their offense.

But the defense is too talented and too well coached to not have some very good upside.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vikings fate lies in their pass defense. They play a lot of teams that want to throw the rock a lot.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emmitt had 4400.

Peterson has traditionally been an outlier, physically.

Curtis Martin - 3500
Tomlinson - 3200
Barry, Marcus Allen, Dickerson - 3000

I don't think any of them had the benefit of getting a year off of getting hit either.

How many RBs have been successful into their 30s as the bell cow back? The list has to be VERY short, especially in the last few decades.

He's also due a LOT of money next season, so he may be continuing that career elsewhere.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could be because of their offense.

But the defense is too talented and too well coached to not have some very good upside.
I just believe they'll qualify as a wild card team this year.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many RBs have been successful into their 30s as the bell cow back? The list has to be VERY short, especially in the last few decades.

He's also due a LOT of money next season, so he may be continuing that career elsewhere.

Enough.

Curtis Martin had his best year at 31. Tiki at 30, followed by another great year at age 31. Walter Payton had a 1600+ year at age 31.

Player Season Finder Query Results | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Peterson is a freak and had a year to get fresh.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Vikings arrow is pointing up. They got better all year.

Packers arrow? meh
Thanks for that nugget of football wisdom. Have fun watching the eagles lose 14 games this season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think saying the Packers will be good this year means the Vikings can't be as well. Heck both made the playoffs last year and both looked primed to do it again. For me though of why I think the Packers finish at the top is...

1) Schedule. Not all that brutal of a schedule (given now the NFL can change a lot from year to year)

2) Players coming back like a Jordy Nelson who really does change that whole offense. Makes life much easier for the other guys.

3) Looks like some of the players took this off season a little more serious like that of Lacy who looks in the best shape since he came into the league. If the Packers have a decent run game that offense becomes really dangerous very quickly.

4) Everybody focuses on the offense of the Packers but I think they have a decent defense as well. So while I think the Vikings have a better defense I think the Packers offense is much much better if everybody is healthy.
5) History...People go with what they know and we know with Rodgers the Packers other than I think his first year starting have made the playoffs. So starting with that understanding that they pretty much always make the playoffs it makes it much easier to pick them than the Vikings who have been up and down for quite a while.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can already tell this 12+ win Packers regular season is going to rustle jimmies in the state of Minnesota... and beyond. It's 'gon be special season for cheesehead nation.
And then they have to face a team from the NFC west in the playoffs. We have all seen how that book ends. Rodgers walking off drying his tears complaining about some bullshit.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enough.

Curtis Martin had his best year at 31. Tiki at 30, followed by another great year at age 31. Walter Payton had a 1600+ year at age 31.

Player Season Finder Query Results | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Peterson is a freak and had a year to get fresh.

I'm not doubting him this year, just moving forward. Are the Vikings going to gamble $18m for his age 32 season?

Of your examples, Curtis Martin tanked at 32. Tiki retired after his age 31 season. Payton tanked at 33.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think saying the Packers will be good this year means the Vikings can't be as well. Heck both made the playoffs last year and both looked primed to do it again. For me though of why I think the Packers finish at the top is...

1) Schedule. Not all that brutal of a schedule (given now the NFL can change a lot from year to year)

2) Players coming back like a Jordy Nelson who really does change that whole offense. Makes life much easier for the other guys.

3) Looks like some of the players took this off season a little more serious like that of Lacy who looks in the best shape since he came into the league. If the Packers have a decent run game that offense becomes really dangerous very quickly.

4) Everybody focuses on the offense of the Packers but I think they have a decent defense as well. So while I think the Vikings have a better defense I think the Packers offense is much much better if everybody is healthy.
5) History...People go with what they know and we know with Rodgers the Packers other than I think his first year starting have made the playoffs. So starting with that understanding that they pretty much always make the playoffs it makes it much easier to pick them than the Vikings who have been up and down for quite a while.

We'll see how ready Jordy is. Already reports of a "hiccup" in his other knee this summer.

RAZORBACKG

Hoopla Cash
$ 735.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not doubting him this year, just moving forward. Are the Vikings going to gamble $18m for his age 32 season?

Of your examples, Curtis Martin tanked at 32. Tiki retired after his age 31 season. Payton tanked at 33.
I think this will be AP's last year in Minnesota. I hope he gets to go out playing in the Super Bowl!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see how ready Jordy is. Already reports of a "hiccup" in his other knee this summer.

True but when I look at other parts of the offense such as Lacy looking like he might actually be an impact player, TE position looking a little stronger, and they also are getting back Cobb from a tough injury season as well. So beyond Jordy they look like a stronger unit on offense and if Jordy is his old self I see them being a top-5 offense this year.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then they have to face a team from the NFC west in the playoffs. We have all seen how that book ends. Rodgers walking off drying his tears complaining about some bullshit.
for most of your life the NFC West and the Cardinals have been flat out terrible so I guess I shouldn't blame you for enjoying a decent football team in a decent division for the first time in ages.

Last edited:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for most of your life the NFC West and the Cardinals have been flat out terrible so I guess I shouldn't blame you for enjoying a decent football team in a decent division for the first time in ages.
The divisions have only been set up the current way for like 15 years.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those guys didn't have a year off like Peterson. Peterson is more comparable to Riggins in that sense. And Riggins put up 24 TDs at age 34.