• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why did the 49ers select Smith over Rodgers?

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith wasn't very good back then though, he's developed a lot more since then ... If they had Rodgers it would a been a different story...

He developed as the Niners got better coaching too. It was a dumpster fire with Nolan and Singletary and there was no way a young QB would develop with what was going on when he started in San Fran.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smith could of been great, and rodgers sucked if situations reversed

I don't think so ... Rodgers has way too much talent to suck ... Even if he got thrown in the fire I think he would a came out un-burned.... Some guy's just have it and some don't ...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He developed as the Niners got better coaching too. It was a dumpster fire with Nolan and Singletary and there was no way a young QB would develop with what was going on when he started in San Fran.

Yeah it was bad under Singletary ... Agreed...

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People bring up a lot about Smith's coordinators always changing, but they were changing because he was playing awful football early on. As bad as things were in SF in that time, their QB play was the worst part.

It's so tough judging a QB off of college. Alex threw less than 600 passes in the Mountain West Conference for Urban Meyer and was less accurate than Tebow. Tedford product vs. Meyer product.

As for Smith I don't think he ever could have been Rodgers, he just doesn't have the arm, where even if he got in Rodgers situation, I don't think he could make the plays Aaron does. And not sure how the Packers offense of testing deep (somthing Rodgers does as well as Favre) would help with Smith who just can't make those throws.

I think Smith has learned to maximize his ability. I don't remember how late it was in the season last year when I made up this little chart for careers, but it was showing air yards of active QB's with at least 500 attempts or something. How far they throw on average... Alex and Rodgers are exact polar opposites. And Alex is the king of the short pass, no one is even half as close as he was.

335f8es.jpg

I really think if you switch guys around, great guys still play great. I think Rodgers still throws down the field well and Alex struggles when he's put in those situations.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This

Alex Smith v Aaron Rodgers was a toss up.

2- There was no excuse for the Dolphins to draft a backup running back when their starter was a 34 year old Gus Frerotte.
5- John Gruden was happy with Chris Simms, Brian Griese, Bruce Gradkowski, and Jake Plummer's contract. So he took a running back.
6- The Titans still had Steve McNair. He was set to count $50 million against the cap the following season.
8- The Cardinals had Josh McClown and the rotting corpse of Kurt Warner. In fairness, Warner found the fountain of youth and led them to the playoffs in subsequent seasons, but he was a dumpster fire in 2005.

10- Friggen Matt Millen. Joey Harrinton and Jeff Garcia and Mike Williams > Aaron Rodgers
13- Saints were sick of Aaron Brooks by this point. They should have drafted his replacement. Lucky them getting Brees for nothing the following year.
15- Trent Green was good. He was also 35
16- Texans. This was year four for David Carr. It was obvious he either stunk, or was going to die on the field from being sacked to much. Drafting the quarterback with the quickest release since Marino would have been smarter than a fat defensive tackle.
21- Jaguars already had a quarterback controversy. Two quarterbacks = zero quarterbacks
23- Raiders were rolling with Kerry Collins as a part time rental player
25- Redskins were taking a quarterback. They took Jason Campbell. They could have easily traded up ahead of the Packers (as the Raiders did with Seattle) and taken a far superior quarterback.

Agreed... but I think that year was the last year RB value was huge.

Hindsight does make those obvious... but..

Miami had Saban at the time, I think he was going to try and establish his team with power running, not take a chance on a rookie QB to teach.

Houston.. Carr was getting sacked a lot, like a running QB rate, but that was his year of promise in 2014. He took a big step forward in 04. 05 though showed the hindsight of why they should get Rodgers though. Same with Harrington. 04 was his solid year he had people thinking there was a chance. 05 he showed it wasn't.

KC was win now then... Trent was old, but an elite offense and a D with issues.

Saints... I think were starting to sour on Brooks, but not sick yet.

Jags... No real QB controversy. They had Leftwich, a 7th overall QB from 2 years prior who was growing and had some big moments that year. And Garrard a 4th round young backup they liked. But how bad did Matt Jones' issues turn out there...

Raiders.. It's Al. He went with Walter later for his arm.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2006 Bears would a won it all with a better QB... Even slightly better QB ... That 2006 Bears defense was VERY good ...

They were... They were starting to wear down as the year went on a bit, but I think a lot was Rex turning bad as the season went on after that good start.

Honestly I think a new O-cord besides Ron Turner may have helped the most. They had Jones and Benson running hard and well. Should have been just pounding the football. No need to throw 500 times that year for them. I think they were trying to get back that Rex from the start of the year and he just wasn't coming back.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone mentioned how homosexuality was a factor?

If they haven't, I have no faith in anyone one of you.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People bring up a lot about Smith's coordinators always changing, but they were changing because he was playing awful football early on. As bad as things were in SF in that time, their QB play was the worst part.

It's so tough judging a QB off of college. Alex threw less than 600 passes in the Mountain West Conference for Urban Meyer and was less accurate than Tebow. Tedford product vs. Meyer product.

As for Smith I don't think he ever could have been Rodgers, he just doesn't have the arm, where even if he got in Rodgers situation, I don't think he could make the plays Aaron does. And not sure how the Packers offense of testing deep (somthing Rodgers does as well as Favre) would help with Smith who just can't make those throws.

I think Smith has learned to maximize his ability. I don't remember how late it was in the season last year when I made up this little chart for careers, but it was showing air yards of active QB's with at least 500 attempts or something. How far they throw on average... Alex and Rodgers are exact polar opposites. And Alex is the king of the short pass, no one is even half as close as he was.

View attachment 139581

I really think if you switch guys around, great guys still play great. I think Rodgers still throws down the field well and Alex struggles when he's put in those situations.
You do high quality work man.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do high quality work man.

Thanks, I really wish I remembered the exact numbers that graph was stating.. Something to do with distance of passes through the air. But it was crazy how far of an outlier Alex Smith was.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, I really wish I remembered the exact numbers that graph was stating.. Something to do with distance of passes through the air. But it was crazy how far of an outlier Alex Smith was.
I really like Smith but his lack of arm strength is definitely a hindrance.

I don't even need to know the X. I trust you. (Seriously. In a Forum of homers you bring top shelf stuff.)

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone mentioned how homosexuality was a factor?

If they haven't, I have no faith in anyone one of you.
Are you saying one of the most gay friendly cities in America picked Smith because they knew he would be welcomed there?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At the time, "Meyer Products" were Josh Harris and Omar Jacobs. Both of them at the time, considering they were lightly recruited Bowling Green products, and still young enough to hold promise (Jacobs was still in college), were positive entries in the "Meyer Product" quarterback pool.

Obviously Tim Tebow, and to a lesser extent the Ohio State quarterbacks, have showed how college-friendly that offense is. But at the time, all else being equal, if you had to choose Tedford quarterback or Meyer quarterback, you'd take the guy who wasn't Jeff Tedford.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so ... Rodgers has way too much talent to suck ... Even if he got thrown in the fire I think he would a came out un-burned.... Some guy's just have it and some don't ...
alot of guys had talent and sucked...........situations, coaching, play a big role

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
alot of guys had talent and sucked...........situations, coaching, play a big role

You can't coach what's not there... Some guy's are just not gonna make it even if Lombardi was coaching them... I don't totally disagree with you though, I know good coaching helps and player's being put in a good situation helps... But you can't turn average Joe into Joe Montana.... Aint happening...