• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's your pick for the four playoff teams?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean the decade where the B1G had one NC and it was split with Nebraska. Go back another decade if you want to talk about the B1G never being better.

And just an FYI -- probation means nothing if you run a clean program, so not sure why you bringing that up. This is why I said, they weren't banned from bowl games, they weren't banned from television. It was 9 future scholarships.

If you'd like a comparable coaching to what Saban did at MSU. Look no further than the guy he replaced -- George Perles. He must be one of the greats too.
So were USC or Penn State even punished by the NCAA? They only lost a couple scholarships and only a couple post season games. It's not like they were barred from TV.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So were USC or Penn State even punished by the NCAA? They only lost a couple scholarships and only a couple post season games. It's not like they were barred from TV.

Postseason ban is the biggest punishment. It hurts you recruiting when you can't compete for a division or national championship and it cost you millions of dollars.

As I pointed out -- Urban Meyer won a NC while dealing with lost scholarships. You can manipulate the roster to open up spots.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you went from talking about the 90's to talking about the 80s

I only did that to point out Saban and Perles were almost identical at MSU, with the exception being Perles won a conference title and a Rose Bowl

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Postseason ban is the biggest punishment. It hurts you recruiting when you can't compete for a division or national championship and it cost you millions of dollars.

As I pointed out -- Urban Meyer won a NC while dealing with lost scholarships. You can manipulate the roster to open up spots.
MSU has never been on the same level as Ohio State in our and possibly not in our parents lifetime so try and compare the two of them is just ignorant.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I will TRY to spell it out for you in a way you will understand. You know how Clemson beat Alabama this past year for the NC. If the NCAA were like the NFL, they'd be picking last out of all FBS schools in the next 'recruiting period'. Once everyone picked a player they wanted and Clemson picked last -- it'd go back to all the other teams.

In your 'level playing field' of the NCAA -- the top teams get the top recruits every year. Those schools also have the pr

:lol: So because of draft order everything is equal?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you literally just put in writing that all schools in the NCAA play by the same rules? Conferences have different rules. Hell, individual schools have different rules.

If the NCAA played by the same rules -- schools would have a set amount in their budget. All schools would spend the same amount on recruiting. Individual schools wouldn't have shoe and uniform contracts -- it'd be one contract split between every school.

Quit being foolish.

All those things are rules the schools choose to put upon themselves.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just listed the first 5 years for George Perles and the first 5 years for Saban. Only difference. Perles took over a worse team and actually won a division title and a bowl game.

The team that won the Rose Bowl was a 9-2-1 team. Meaning it went into the Rose Bowl as an 8-2-1 team. I'm guessing it was likely a down year for the Big10.

But the funny thing is - the coach you are trying to compare is the one Saban took it over from and is the coach that got Michigan St in trouble for academic scandal.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like I need to take a nice warm bath in hydrochloric acid for defending Saban. I don't know if that will kill the feeling of dirtiness.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team that won the Rose Bowl was a 9-2-1 team. Meaning it went into the Rose Bowl as an 8-2-1 team. I'm guessing it was likely a down year for the Big10.

But the funny thing is - the coach you are trying to compare is the one Saban took it over from and is the coach that got Michigan St in trouble for academic scandal.

Yes. The team who actually won the B1G. (Something Saban couldn't do) And then won the Rose Bowl. (Or in Saban's case -- ANY bowl. He won zero at MSU)

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All those things are rules the schools choose to put upon themselves.

You honestly can't be this stubborn?!?!

The only rules where it is a level playing field is on the field.

Blue Blood schools are spending 150+ million a year while bottom feeder FBS schools are barely spending 5 million. Why? Because they can't afford to. The top schools every year get the top recruits. Why? Because they spending tens of millions of dollars on training facilities, workout rooms, indoor practice fields, etc etc etc.

Just stop. You are looking ridiculous.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You honestly can't be this stubborn?!?!

The only rules where it is a level playing field is on the field.

Blue Blood schools are spending 150+ million a year while bottom feeder FBS schools are barely spending 5 million. Why? Because they can't afford to. The top schools every year get the top recruits. Why? Because they spending tens of millions of dollars on training facilities, workout rooms, indoor practice fields, etc etc etc.

Just stop. You are looking ridiculous.

What is the limit those smaller schools can spend as per the rules?

All teams are not equal, but they are given equal opportunity - the same as the NFL.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. The team who actually won the B1G. (Something Saban couldn't do) And then won the Rose Bowl. (Or in Saban's case -- ANY bowl. He won zero at MSU)

You sound like the kind of person who would hype up Mizzou the years they won the SEC East rather than recognizing the main factor for them winning the SEC East those years was because the SEC East was extra weak.

There is a big difference between building good teams that achieve success and having everyone else fail around you.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah -- I didn't mention anything else. :L

I guess Ron White was correct.

latest

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the limit those smaller schools can spend as per the rules?

All teams are not equal, but they are given equal opportunity - the same as the NFL.

You realize how ridiculous you sound? The overwhelming majority of teams in CFB are not equal. Hence the reason I said -- college football is about who can collect the most talent wins. The schools who can spend 150+ million a year, have monster apparel deals, TV contracts, etc.

CFB is all about built in advantages. It is why the SEC has reigned supreme for the longest time. It is why they fought tooth and nail to stop satellite camps (they don't want teams invading their recruiting territories) and why maybe 10-15 teams have even a semblance of a chance to win a NC in today's CFB. It is why Saban will NEVER leave the SEC. The conference gives him the greatest advantages as a HC.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sound like the kind of person who would hype up Mizzou the years they won the SEC East rather than recognizing the main factor for them winning the SEC East those years was because the SEC East was extra weak.

There is a big difference between building good teams that achieve success and having everyone else fail around you.

You are the one who said Saban had the best season in 90 years or whatever. I just pointed out the coach before him in year 5, not only had a better year, but won the B1G, went undefeated in conference and won the Rose Bowl.

And what did Saban build at MSU? He took over a 6 win team and went 6, 6, 7, 6 and finally 9 wins. Then the team went back to mediocre. So a single good year is building a good team? Does that mean Brady Hoke built a good team? He won 11 games once.

As I've said repeatedly. Saban is a very good coach. The SEC advantages make him great. He isn't coaching up talent -- he already has BY FAR the most talented team, and it has been that way for years and years now. It is akin to giving the New England Patriots the #1 pick after winning the SB. Yet in your world that is a level playing field.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize how ridiculous you sound? The overwhelming majority of teams in CFB are not equal. Hence the reason I said -- college football is about who can collect the most talent wins. The schools who can spend 150+ million a year, have monster apparel deals, TV contracts, etc.

CFB is all about built in advantages. It is why the SEC has reigned supreme for the longest time. It is why they fought tooth and nail to stop satellite camps (they don't want teams invading their recruiting territories) and why maybe 10-15 teams have even a semblance of a chance to win a NC in today's CFB. It is why Saban will NEVER leave the SEC. The conference gives him the greatest advantages as a HC.

And teams in the NFL aren't equal either, which was the point. They all merely play by the same rules.

The SEC hasn't reigned supreme for the longest time, that's recent history. There aren't built in advantages, there are programs who have built up their advantages.

And Saban is going to stay at Alabama because of the level of support that comes from Alabama, doesn't have a damn thing to do with the "SEC" as you seem to claim. That's just fucking stupid on your part. Saban could go to any school in the country, get the level of support he gets at Alabama and do the exact same things he's doing at Alabama. This is just another lame attempt for you to try and take something away from him.

If it was so damn easy, then why didn't Alabama win jack shit under Shula or Franchione?

He pulls kids from across the country. One of our QB's signed last year came from Hawaii, not SEC territory. The #1 RB in the country - came from California, not SEC territory. While the bulk of talent is in the south, if the south was as bad as many of you claim it should be easy to pull kids away from here, not harder.

You remind me of my CO when I was in basic training. He was this little pencil dick looking fucker. When it came time for road marches the pussy would fill his rucksack with toilet paper. Meanwhile, everyone else is carrying about 70lbs worth of gear. He's out there marching around like he's extra hardcore/high energy, and the entire time his rucksack is bouncing off his back as he walks like a basketball and he just looked like a stupid asshole.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, on the subject of both Alabama and FSU making it - they play early in the year, so that would be interesting. The loser would no doubt have to finish the rest of the season undefeated. But I wonder how close the 1st game will need to be, as you have to wonder if a 52-6 type blowout by one team might do some damage.

Great matchup.