• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who will the Broncos take with their first pick?

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you want the Broncos to take?

Who do you not want the Broncos to take?

I am going to guess that Eddie Goldman will be our first pick. I wouldn't be unhappy with that at all.

I would love for us to pick Denzel Perryman. I highly doubt that will happen with the 28th pick, and we would have to trade up from our late 2nd round pick to have a shot at him in the 2nd round. It seems like a long shot for us to land him, but one can hope.

The one player I have seen mocked to the Broncos that I would hate to see them select is Maxx Williams. It's unlikely to happen given that he is not known for blocking, but some of the "experts" still have him mocked to us. He would be both a bad fit and poor value.

I'm curious about everyone else's opinions as we approach the first round tonight.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of favor Erving, the o-lineman from FSU, since his versatility is appealing. Not sure he's the right pick, of course. Last year I didn't expect that we'd get Roby and he has worked out pretty well so far.

Saw a mock that has us going with Jake Fisher. That seems curious, since I think he's projected as a LT. On the other hand, Clady isn't exactly a youngster anymore. Still not sure that it makes sense to use this year's first on a LT, though.

Also saw a mock that has us taking Michael Bennett from OSU, which also seems curious, since I think he projects more as a 4-3 guy.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of favor Erving, the o-lineman from FSU, since his versatility is appealing. Not sure he's the right pick, of course. Last year I didn't expect that we'd get Roby and he has worked out pretty well so far.

Saw a mock that has us going with Jake Fisher. That seems curious, since I think he's projected as a LT. On the other hand, Clady isn't exactly a youngster anymore. Still not sure that it makes sense to use this year's first on a LT, though.

Also saw a mock that has us taking Michael Bennett from OSU, which also seems curious, since I think he projects more as a 4-3 guy.

Fisher is being mocked more and more to the Broncos because many see a great fit in a Kubiak system. He is one of the few that has the footwork and speed to work well in the zone system and Oregon pretty much runs a very similar system with the OL so he would be able to step in day 1 for the Broncos at say RT. Throw in then many like him so that he can then take over the LT spot in a year or two when Clady either isn't living up to hsi contract or his contract is up kind of thing. I don't mind him as the Broncos pick but I am one though that still likes Schofield to start this year. He didn't do too bad in preseason last year and I think this year's system fits him better and they say he has put on some major muscle during last season and this off season.

As for the Broncos pick I am hearing the Broncos are actually leaning very heavily towards taking a pass rusher with their first pick. With Quanterus Smith failing his physical and getting cut there really is no one behind Miller and Ware that can get after the quarterback. So that would mean guys like Randy Gregory, Shane Ray, Owamagbe Odighizuwa, and Preston Smith come into the picture. My personal favorite of that group is Odighizuwa. He doesn't have the pass rushing ability of Gregory but the guy has a spotless background (other than injury), is great in the run game, and really started coming into his own at the end of college as a pass rusher. He just needs some refinement on his pass rushing moves. Right now he reminds me a bit of (and I know people will hate this name) Robert Ayers. Ayers was actually very good against the run but his only pass rush move was the bull rush. Ayers this last year for the Giants finally developed some secondary moves and before his injury was looking like the 1st round talent he was drafted for. Give Owa a year behind Ware learning from him and watch this kid explode.

OL wise the only player I like for the Broncos to maybe trade up for is Andrus Peat. The kid is still only 20 years old yet looks like a sure fire 10 year or more starter in the league. He has the strength to handle the RT spot but also the speed to then move over to LT with no issues. Just watch a couple of his games and other than 1 really bad game in college the kid just completely shut down his side of the field.

Players I don't want to see the Broncos take--Landon Collins. I see him as a decent player but nothing more. DJ Humphries. When healthy the guy is a difference maker but I really question his ability to hold up in the NFL. Throw in the guy has trouble staying in the 300 range for the OL. He played a lot of this past year at 285 and I just think if he tries to add weight then the injury bug will get him. Eric Rowe is another in I think he is a decent safety and a decent corner but people are falling too much in love with his versatility. His film shows a 3rd round pick but his versatility has him being talked about as a 1st round pick. Benardrick McKinney is my final guy. I saw that the writer for the denverbroncos.com website picked him with our 1st round pick and while his measurables look great I just don't think he is a great football player. I like many of the other ILB's much better like Kendricks, Anthony, Perryman, and Dawson. I wont' be upset if we get McKinney in the 2nd but 1st round I just don't think he will live up to that draft pick.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive line and it is Ali Marpet. OK, that is just who I want Denver to draft, but it will be best available left tackle. Whoever that might be. Unless Amari Cooper or Kevin White are available.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very happy with the pick! Just keep your nose clean Shane and you can have a very nice career in Denver.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus I love the trade. Gets rid of a really bad contract in Ramirez and the trade value is that of giving up a late 4th round pick

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team must have really valued him. Traded away quite a bit, but we had the picks to do so. Hope he'[s an outstanding pass rusher. The highlights that showed were impressive. Showed a variety of moves.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOVE this pick! Shane Ray is a top 10 talent for sure. The pot bust and turf toe tumbled his stock but if he lives up to his potential, we just stole a gem. D. Ware, V. Miller and S. Ray make a formidable trio on our defense. Very happy with the Broncos in round one! Go Broncos!

MH64

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure about the " traded a way quite a bit" TD. Ramirez who's been playing poorly, a 5th this yr and a 5th 2016 for a guy even with toe issue was on many teams board as a top 15 pick before pot issue is a very strong reward over risk move IMO. If he doesn't need surgery and gets on field,chances are good he stays clean for at least for 2 yrs and can make that D quite scary for a Manning SB run anyway.:) I like his chances. Now let's keep going Denver Sat/Sun

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget we traded our 1st rounder too, randymon.

A bit pricey I think, but would have been top 10 without the minor issues. Could end up being a steal.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very happy with the pick! Just keep your nose clean Shane and you can have a very nice career in Denver.

He said he modeled himself after Von Miller. I guess they will both be suspended for Marijuana next year.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget we traded our 1st rounder too, randymon.

A bit pricey I think, but would have been top 10 without the minor issues. Could end up being a steal.

I read that Ray was the 10th player on the Broncos' draft board. Seems to be an example of moving up to get a player that we coveted.

Since Ramirez probably wasn't in our plans going forward, and as cdumler points out we got rid of his contract, that part of the deal might be viewed as "addition by subtraction".

With eight more picks still in hand, I won't be too surprised if we trade up again, if there is an opportunity to get another guy that we really like.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the first pick since we picked Von Miller that I found myself screaming at the tv for joy. Scared my dogs actually. Great player that brings a lot of fire to our defense. He is exactly the definition of a guy that will go down kicking and screaming to the very last whistle. I was reading a review of him before the draft where they talked about how he impressed them that even when the team was up big in the 4th quarter he was still going 100 mph when the rest of the defense was starting to relax.

On top of that like I said getting rid of Ramirez's contract saves the team something like $3 million. I don't think he would have made the roster anyway so getting some kind of value for him is definitely worth it. As for the draft picks traded like I said it was like us trading a late 4th round pick. We got to move up 5 spots with that. Look at what San Diego traded just to move up 2 spots in a mid 4th round pick and a 5th next year. I would say this was a huge win for the Broncos in the trade department. We didn't give up a prime pick and we were not going to be able to fit all of our picks on our roster anyway so trading one was worth it.

So very excited to see this kid in action!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said he modeled himself after Von Miller. I guess they will both be suspended for Marijuana next year.

Haha you are so funny. Now yes Von Miller is in the substance abuse program but to me he has really worked to clean himself up with DeMarcus Ware being his mentor this past year. Honestly I can't think of a better place for Shane Ray to land in getting to learn from one of the greatest of all time in DeMarcus Ware while also learning from a guy who has been exactly where Ray is right now.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just so you can get a little more excited about this kid watch this interview after he was drafted.

1) I love that he is not shying away from any of his mistakes. He is owning up to them which is why I actually think he will be just fine moving forward.

2) Just his fire to go out there and hit somebody. He wants to show Elway and the team that he was worth trading up for.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can never have too many pass rushers. Solid pick. Phillips better be aggressive on defense this year unlike JDR last year. We've got the pieces, so he'd better use them!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can never have too many pass rushers. Solid pick. Phillips better be aggressive on defense this year unlike JDR last year. We've got the pieces, so he'd better use them!

I honestly think that was the idea with this pick. We have what could be one of the 3 best Defensive Backfields in the NFL. If that is the case then being aggressive up front is what will be key to seeing our defense reach that next level. JDR saw it the opposite with the idea that sending 3 on passing downs was the way to go and go into ultimate coverage. This isn't so much about being able to blitz but the idea of just being more aggressive in how you use those guys getting after the quarterback. JDR made it so easy as he never did any stunts and just said here are our 4 pass rushers and they are just going to go straight and essentially he depended on the idea of us just having superior talent on defense. Which yes for most teams we did but against the best teams you have to be willing to mix it up. I'm sure Brady when watching film on the Broncos was just laughing at how simple we were making it. It was like we never got out of our pre season vanilla defense.