• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who will Jerry get to coach the Cowboys next.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your timeline is a bit off. Linehan took playcalling from Callahan.

I never said that he didn't. Maybe re-read again? My timeline is accurate. Jerry took play calling duties from Garrett and installed Callahan. Later Linehan was inserted into the staff and given play calling duties. It is my belief that Linehan was a Jerry driven hire, not a Jason Garrett driven hire.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think things have changed drastically in those few years? I don't. The only people who have grown in power in the organization is Stephen Jones and Will McClay. It just so happens that Stephen Jones' views happen to align with Garrett's often enough -- like when it came time to bench Romo, or releasing Dez.

Garrett does not have total say over his roster either, look no further than Greg Hardy being in Dallas for a year. That was Jerry all the way - including preventing Garrett from leveling any discipline on Hardy for his multiple outbursts, etc.

You say this is old news, but I think it gives some clues as to how the inner workings really are. You say it's nothing but speculation -- well what do you think you are doing? There's a little more evidence to support my claims than yours. Expecting/thinking 75+ year old Jerry Jones is going to all of a sudden give up the reigns to his favorite toy is naive.
No one ever said Garrett had 100% control. The idea he just does what Jerry wants is ridiculous and has been proven wrong over and over again. Sure there are a couple of examples, the guy is the GM and owner. But if you don't think Garrett makes a lot of decisions on this team in both personnel and absolutely on the field I don't know what to tell you. For example, he's the main reason Zeke is a Cowboy

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously? You sound like you are just doing more of the "if it goes wrong then Jerry is to blame, if it goes right then Jerry had no say in it" stuff.

What? You're insinuating intent that is not there. Where have I blamed Jerry at all? I have been extremely critical of Garrett and Linehan this season, I have said very little if anything about Jerry Jones.

I think and have thought Garrett is a shit coach -- check the Cowboys message board the last few years. I also believe that Jerry has dictated certain things to his coach over the years. For instance his coaching staff around him, I don't believe Garrett got to pick Monte Kiffin/Rod Marinelli, or Bill Callahan and Scott Linehan. Even though Garrett has had to deal with certain challenges, like not picking his own staff, I don't give Garrett a pass for being mediocre at his job. It's not Jerry's fault that Garret has been mediocre as a coach, but it is Jerry's fault that he has chosen to stick with a mediocre coach for so long.

I really don't get where you're coming from on this one. Nothing I have said should insinuate that Jerry should get no credit for the success. Jerry absolutely deserves some of the blame when it's going wrong, too -- this is his coaching staff.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one ever said Garrett had 100% control. The idea he just does what Jerry wants is ridiculous and has been proven wrong over and over again. Sure there are a couple of examples, the guy is the GM and owner. But if you don't think Garrett makes a lot of decisions on this team in both personnel and absolutely on the field I don't know what to tell you. For example, he's the main reason Zeke is a Cowboy

I never said Garrett just does what Jerry wants. You're arguing against a point I never made. But Garrett absolutely has to deal with a little more input from ownership than most NFL head coaches, including taking coaches onto his staff that he might not necessarily choose for himself or having play calling duties stripped away. That's the only point I am making.

I'm also not making the argument that this issue is on Jerry alone. It is a collaborative effort. Garrett has failed as a coach IMO, or at least not succeeded enough. Jerry has failed as a GM for sticking with a guy who doesn't move the needle for too long. Why has Jerry stuck with Garrett for so long is a matter of debate, but it might not be too far fetched to suggest it is because of Garrett's compliance with ownership -- it's certainly not because of his track record.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are looking at Dez Bryant he's still trying to catch a break

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Johnson

If Jimmy Johnson stayed the head coach I think the Cowboys would be what the Patriots are now except I don't think JJ's team would have lost a Superbowl.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Jerry is not a complete Dumbazz he did turn 140 million into 4 billion along with lining the pockets of every NFL owner along the way. He is not the complete GM fool that everybody seems to think he is but he is in a lot of way like Al Davis in that he thinks he can do it better than those that do it for a living while still trying to be the Owner of the Dallas Cowboys which is a full time job in and of itself.

The list is long and well published about why this is so dating to the JJ & JJ Days when he bought the team and who was getting the glory for what happened in the early day when Dallas was winning SB's and Jerry was riding high.

With all that said Jerry has stepped back some and not tried to have his little fingers in every damn pie in the Cowboys arena in some area he has done well like the drafting and player contracts and in others like the coaching he has flat out missed the mark.

When Garrett is fired I honestly expect for a new school type of coaching staff to come on board and take over in Dallas. Jerry for all his faults and screw-ups is not the bungling Idiot he seems to always be portrayed as. That may come off as defense of Jerry and maybe to a degree it is. I always go back to the business side of it and hey I could be wrong but at Jerrys age this could be one of the last big decisions he gets to make and I honestly believe he wants to nail it like he did with Jimmy.

JMHO

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said Garrett just does what Jerry wants. You're arguing against a point I never made. But Garrett absolutely has to deal with a little more input from ownership than most NFL head coaches, including taking coaches onto his staff that he might not necessarily choose for himself or having play calling duties stripped away. That's the only point I am making.

I'm also not making the argument that this issue is on Jerry alone. It is a collaborative effort. Garrett has failed as a coach IMO, or at least not succeeded enough. Jerry has failed as a GM for sticking with a guy who doesn't move the needle for too long. Why has Jerry stuck with Garrett for so long is a matter of debate, but it might not be too far fetched to suggest it is because of Garrett's compliance with ownership -- it's certainly not because of his track record.
You're speaking of the past as if it's the present. You were the one that brought up Jerry's involvement and "proved it" with an article from 2013. I never said Jerry isn't involved. He is not only the owner but the GM!!! Right or wrong of course he is involved. I don't think anyone ever said he wasn't. Maybe you need to state what you are saying because your statement was: "Garrett is not nearly autonomous as you seem to think". So, I'm trying to tell you how autonomous I think he is, which is clearly different than you are hearing me saying. You said "You think things have changed drastically in those few years? I don't." And I'm telling you yes, it absolutely has changed drastically and I thought that was universally known by Cowboy fans. Jerry will always have the final say but Garrett, McCLay and Stephen make more of the decisions than Jerry. Way, way more. But he has final signoff

You said this "I never said Garrett just does what Jerry wants." and then in the same post you said Garrett is still here because "it is because of Garrett's compliance with ownership". So...yeah kinda tough to follow along...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Jimmy Johnson stayed the head coach I think the Cowboys would be what the Patriots are now except I don't think JJ's team would have lost a Superbowl.
Cap would have bit us before that, but clearly there would have been more success

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're speaking of the past as if it's the present. You were the one that brought up Jerry's involvement and "proved it" with an article from 2013. I never said Jerry isn't involved. He is not only the owner but the GM!!! Right or wrong of course he is involved. I don't think anyone ever said he wasn't. Maybe you need to state what you are saying because your statement was: "Garrett is not nearly autonomous as you seem to think". So, I'm trying to tell you how autonomous I think he is, which is clearly different than you are hearing me saying. You said "You think things have changed drastically in those few years? I don't." And I'm telling you yes, it absolutely has changed drastically and I thought that was universally known by Cowboy fans. Jerry will always have the final say but Garrett, McCLay and Stephen make more of the decisions than Jerry. Way, way more. But he has final signoff

You said this "I never said Garrett just does what Jerry wants." and then in the same post you said Garrett is still here because "it is because of Garrett's compliance with ownership". So...yeah kinda tough to follow along...

To your first point, in fact you brought it up. My original reply with the article was in response to your post saying that Jerry may have stripped Garrett of play calling duties but it was more of a feeling on your part. The articles suggest that there was substance to Jerry stripping Garrett of play calling duties. And yes I am speaking of the past, because previous behavior is the strongest indicator of future actions -- especially when said behaviors have been on display for well over 20 years. I have acknowledged that Stephen Jones and Will McClay have gained more power in the organization and that they are in fact the ones who are steering Jerry to final decisions over the past few years. I do not think that Garrett is nearly as big a part of that equation as you do -- that is what I mean when I say I don't think Garrett is nearly as autonomous as you do.

On to your second point, while I do think Garrett is a bit of a "yes" man for Jerry, he can still have some autonomy and not do everything Jerry wants while still being compliant with ownership. For example, Jerry can say Garrett has full control of certain aspects of the franchise as long as he goes along with certain other decisions regarding the football team. Autonomy in some areas, puppet in others.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said that he didn't. Maybe re-read again? My timeline is accurate. Jerry took play calling duties from Garrett and installed Callahan. Later Linehan was inserted into the staff and given play calling duties. It is my belief that Linehan was a Jerry driven hire, not a Jason Garrett driven hire.

:L Yup, I missed callahan in there the first time. my bad.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nah, Jimmy saw the writing on the wall. He wanted out before Jerry did his little press conference BS. He saw the future of the NFL, the characters he had in the locker room, and the impact the cap would have. He was moving on no matter what. Had he stayed he wouldn't have continued to have that same success.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Private Vasquez: Whatever you're gonna do, do it fast!

I'm with Vasquez. They are in a shit division and could win it by default.

But they will win nothing else without an offense.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can all say with absolute certainty that Jason Garrett is going to get fired. If not at mid season definitely at the end of the year

Quotes from 1 year ago, 2 years ago, 3 years ago.

I actually think his roster this year is worse then the previous years that he underperformed with.

But yeah the firing, I believe it when I see it

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quotes from 1 year ago, 2 years ago, 3 years ago.

I actually think his roster this year is worse then the previous years that he underperformed with.

But yeah the firing, I believe it when I see it

I don't believe that Garrett is under any threat be fired in-season. I honestly wouldn't mind it, but I don't think it would accomplish any good. I do hope to see Linehan canned before long. I think a different play caller could do a lot of good for this team, even if they are just running Garrett's offense.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am one to believe the Cowboys fans especially those in Dallas would have a better ear to what is going on in Dallas. However I still think Jerry Jones is still too hands on. I am sure Jason Garrett knows his job is on the line. It has been speculated he would be fired for several years now. So I find it hard to believe he would be the one that would select Kellen Moore to be the Cowboys new QB coach. I am sorry but that has to be one of the dumbest hires ever.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
071014-NFL-Michael-Irvin-TV-Pi.vresize.1200.675.high_.40-1.jpg

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can all say with absolute certainty that Jason Garrett is going to get fired. If not at mid season definitely at the end of the year. The question I wonder is who will replace him?

What made me start this thread is that I watch a clip of Will Cain discussing this on his radio show. If anyone watches First Take on ESPN is a regular guest and is a die hard Cowboys fan. He makes no bones about it and will make excuses for the Cowboys like the rest of us homer make for our teams. I consider him the replacement to Skip Bayless on ESPN with the difference being that Will Cain is not a moron. I think he be on the show above Stephen A. Smith who is a loud mouthed blowhard IMO.

However during his show he mentioned Lincoln Riley said he was not sure he would want the job. Wondering who would want to work with Jerry Jones. The discussion on this show even went to the point that if Bellichik was to become available would Jerry Jones step out of the way for Belichick and he said he did not think so.

Which leads to this question. Is the Cowboys head coaching job considered elite anymore amongst coaching circles? Would any highly rated coaches want the job?

Do not know who he is and will not click your link. FUCK espn and everything they do except for some games.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is already on the staff. Kris Richards. I have no doubts about it.