• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who will Jerry get to coach the Cowboys next.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you. The changing of the guard needs to be the coaching staff but Jerry has to get out of the way. He needs to allow his Head Coach to pick his staff and give him full control. I don't mean from a personnel standpoint. Jerry is never going to give that up but if your head coach is only a puppet you they will not get far IMO.

Garrett and Linehan have to be two of the worst coaches in the NFL today IMO.
Jerry has the final say on all decisions, but for a few years now has let others make the calls for the most part. Their head scout Will McClay and Garett have the biggest say in all personnel decisions and Garrett absolutely has the say over coaches and players and certainly everything that happens on Sundays. Letting a guy like Dez go was never a "Jerry move". You can even hear Jerry saying things in quotes nowadays that Garrett and the coaches said a little earlier. Dallas overhauled their coaches a little this year but they left the top guys intact. The idea that Garrett or if fired the next Dallas coach will be Jerry's puppet is a complete misnomer IMO.

I've always said Garrett is a great practice coach. He brought accountability back to this team and he really does believe in doing things "the right way" and until Hurns started chirping this year you could hear it in everything the players said. He just continues to be overmatched on game day. He is horrible at deciding when to challenge a call. He is horrible with time management and use of timeouts. We never seem to make the in game adjustments other teams do. Our plays are predictable. The formation we used on the Zeke run on 3rd down in OT just screamed we are running it here. Every Cowboy fan knew it. We never put guys in motion to help free them up even though we have trouble getting open. And Dak could benefit from a pre-snap read too if we put guys in motion and he could watch what they do. The RPO (more a QB run/Zeke run option) basically almost single handedly wins us a game and then we stop doing it. Others team have been so worried about Dak outside the pocket both running and throwing on the run that they game plan to keep him in the pocket, yet we never roll out an athletic QB who can put a lot of pressure on the defense once he gets outside of the pocket. Our blitzes just destroyed the Giants and then we decide to blitz much less. Our DBs and LBs just lose their man constantly and have non-stop miscommunication in zone defense and we go to it over and over again. We have Heath and Frazier who suck in coverage yet we still don't get one or both of them off the field in passing situations. There are obvious things this team needs to clean up and if they do and if they get 3 of hteir best defensive players back (Lee, Irving and Collins) they can very easily win a pathetic NFC East that doesn't even look to have a five hundred team in it right now.

Every team has their things that drive fans crazy - Eagles playing Mills. But ours seem to have been for a few years now and we don't change anything. I think Jerry got pissed off after we didn't go for it on 4th down in OT and I think he sent Garrett a message that his job was on the line. We shall see if anything changes. Maybe not this week because I can't see them beating Jax right now, but in the next month or so.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that the guy from Seattle, if so maybe. Seems to have spruced up the defense a bit.

But the have to do something at HC and OC.
Yup that's him.

our first change for OC will be to get rid of Scott and make Jason the playcaller again. That won't work. Aikman was doing an interview and I agree with what he said, Dallas just needs to go to the line and run the play they called. It does a few things:
1) Brings the tempo up
2) Cuts down on pre-snap penalties
3) If defenses really know our audibles then remove audibles
4) Keeps everyone on the same page

In the last decade the NFL has changed from the defense adjusting to what the offense is doing to a system where the defense gets set and the offense adjusts. Time for that to switch back. Heck, I'd like to see teams go back to just 3 or 4 formations and then run all your plays from that. How much would a defense freak out if there were no hand signals or audibles to pick up on, and you have 4 plays from one set. Everything about them is the same. Defenses today can tell by who is where, who is in motion, and what the QB is saying to have a good idea what is coming.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup that's him.

our first change for OC will be to get rid of Scott and make Jason the playcaller again. That won't work. Aikman was doing an interview and I agree with what he said, Dallas just needs to go to the line and run the play they called. It does a few things:
1) Brings the tempo up
2) Cuts down on pre-snap penalties
3) If defenses really know our audibles then remove audibles
4) Keeps everyone on the same page

In the last decade the NFL has changed from the defense adjusting to what the offense is doing to a system where the defense gets set and the offense adjusts. Time for that to switch back. Heck, I'd like to see teams go back to just 3 or 4 formations and then run all your plays from that. How much would a defense freak out if there were no hand signals or audibles to pick up on, and you have 4 plays from one set. Everything about them is the same. Defenses today can tell by who is where, who is in motion, and what the QB is saying to have a good idea what is coming.
Another thing it does is when the defense shows their cards too early or even fakes doing something or just simply does something like putting 9 in the box or overloading one side and you immediately audible it basically tells everyone what you are about to do to counteract it. It's like a HS Offense where the QB looks at one or two keys and based on that picks the play.

And on Big Mouth Hurns, apparently he didn't know what to do on a few of the audibles and it cost us. He may be a one and done for Dallas and be cut before next year's roster bonus comes due.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry has the final say on all decisions, but for a few years now has let others make the calls for the most part. Their head scout Will McClay and Garett have the biggest say in all personnel decisions and Garrett absolutely has the say over coaches and players and certainly everything that happens on Sundays. Letting a guy like Dez go was never a "Jerry move". You can even hear Jerry saying things in quotes nowadays that Garrett and the coaches said a little earlier. Dallas overhauled their coaches a little this year but they left the top guys intact. The idea that Garrett or if fired the next Dallas coach will be Jerry's puppet is a complete misnomer IMO.

I've always said Garrett is a great practice coach. He brought accountability back to this team and he really does believe in doing things "the right way" and until Hurns started chirping this year you could hear it in everything the players said. He just continues to be overmatched on game day. He is horrible at deciding when to challenge a call. He is horrible with time management and use of timeouts. We never seem to make the in game adjustments other teams do. Our plays are predictable. The formation we used on the Zeke run on 3rd down in OT just screamed we are running it here. Every Cowboy fan knew it. We never put guys in motion to help free them up even though we have trouble getting open. And Dak could benefit from a pre-snap read too if we put guys in motion and he could watch what they do. The RPO (more a QB run/Zeke run option) basically almost single handedly wins us a game and then we stop doing it. Others team have been so worried about Dak outside the pocket both running and throwing on the run that they game plan to keep him in the pocket, yet we never roll out an athletic QB who can put a lot of pressure on the defense once he gets outside of the pocket. Our blitzes just destroyed the Giants and then we decide to blitz much less. Our DBs and LBs just lose their man constantly and have non-stop miscommunication in zone defense and we go to it over and over again. We have Heath and Frazier who suck in coverage yet we still don't get one or both of them off the field in passing situations. There are obvious things this team needs to clean up and if they do and if they get 3 of hteir best defensive players back (Lee, Irving and Collins) they can very easily win a pathetic NFC East that doesn't even look to have a five hundred team in it right now.

Every team has their things that drive fans crazy - Eagles playing Mills. But ours seem to have been for a few years now and we don't change anything. I think Jerry got pissed off after we didn't go for it on 4th down in OT and I think he sent Garrett a message that his job was on the line. We shall see if anything changes. Maybe not this week because I can't see them beating Jax right now, but in the next month or so.

I see your point and have to agree. Everything you said makes perfect sense.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9fab2468c15e4e44bc1da5d88ab68a9d

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@jarnt I was watching First Things First this morning and Chris Carter made some points that tie in directly to your thought on the issue with the Cowboys is coaching. He said the Cowboys do not have a sophisticated pass offense. One of the things he mentioned was route adjustments which if I understand him correctly meant that based on what the defense shows you an adjustment may need to be made to the route. He mentioned that Dak does not have the flexibility to audible at the line like other QB's do. However based on the way he stated it he put it more on the coaches than on Dak.

This is where I think Jerry needs to let go and why the Cowboys coaching staff is bad IMO. Correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that Jerry decides who fills out the head coaches staff. He decides who the coordinators are as well as the position coaching and IIRC he also at times decided who called the plays. This kind of meddling needs to stop.

Look......I will always talk shit about the Cowboys because I am an Eagles fan. It is what I do :D but I will not deny when the Cowboys have talent and have always admitted when they had a better team than the Eagles. This I can say with absolute confidence in it's accuracy. Since the Cowboys last Superbowl they have wasted some talented teams that could have went deep in the playoffs. They are missing something and I think it is cohesiveness with it's staff. I honestly don't think anyone believes Garrett is the boss. He is the head coach that defers to Jerry. He does not have the power to replace any members of his staff and that gives him less credibility in the locker room. Sometimes I think he is a scapegoat for what is really wrong with the Cowboys.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak does call audibles a lot. It's one of the things that has made us predictable going back to Romo. When you get a certain look and immediately audible it gives a pretty good indication of what you were going to do and what you are now going to do. I wouldn't be surprised if we audibled as much as the average team or maybe more so I'm not sure what Carer is talking about there.

Garrett picks all staff. I'm sure he clears it with Jerry but he makes the choices. I do think Jerry may have forced Garrett into letting someone else call the plays a few years back but that is more a gut thought than anything else.

Garrett is part of the issue right now so I'm not sure he's a scapegoat, but Jerry always has and always will be a big part of the problem and yes this team has wasted talent over the years.

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Lazor, Bengals offensive coordinator.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garrett picks all staff. I'm sure he clears it with Jerry but he makes the choices. I do think Jerry may have forced Garrett into letting someone else call the plays a few years back but that is more a gut thought than anything else.

Garrett is part of the issue right now so I'm not sure he's a scapegoat, but Jerry always has and always will be a big part of the problem and yes this team has wasted talent over the years.

It's a fact that Jerry stripped play calling duties from Garrett and then installed Callahan as play caller. Garrett does not pick all of his staff, Linehan was forced onto him by Jerry. IMO Garrett is not nearly autonomous as you seem to think.

Jerry Jones: Jason Garrett won't call Cowboys' plays

Cowboys plan to take play-calling duties from Jason Garrett

All the same, I have wanted Garrett gone for a couple years now. Hopefully sooner than later.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a fact that Jerry stripped play calling duties from Garrett and then installed Callahan as play caller. Garrett does not pick all of his staff, Linehan was forced onto him by Jerry. IMO Garrett is not nearly autonomous as you seem to think.

All the same, I have wanted Garrett gone for a couple years now. Hopefully sooner than later.
That is from 2013. We are talking about today. Not a few years back. As a Cowboy fan you should know Garrett has grown tremendously in power in his time here. Just look at his influence on the personnel side. And those articles do nothing but make assumptions. Garrett picks his coaches with his owners approval. Next you guys are going to start the talk about Jerry calling plays and deciding who starts

THUNDER

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Their drafting has been great lately. They haven't been able to sign any FAs for years because of their cap problem, but they corrected that over the last few years and starting next year they will be able to - they could have this year. Jerry doesn't coach or call plays and doesn't play. I'm about as anti-Jerry as they come but you can't blame him for these 5 games. Draft looks good again. Defense has been rebuilt. He thought he had Witten for another year. He cut Dez who has proven him right with his social media outbursts. He cut Bailey which looks good right now. They tried to sign a big $ WR in the offseason but lost out. Lee got hurt already which is exactly why they drafted LB in the 1st instead of WR.

This is right now on the coaches IMO and including the decision to hire a player they liked to be QB coach for some ridiculous reason. You have a young QB who when he struggles with his mechanics loses his arm angle and accuracy and you don't bring in an experienced guy to work with him? Most of Daks poor throws this year have been when he hasn't set his feet right. Even Rush who looked like a future starter last year took a huge step back this year. Either the team turns it around or the coaches must go. They get one more shot and they are lucky that they may be in one of the worst divisions the league has seen in a few years and 9 wins should take the league and possibly less. And any team that makes the playoffs can make a run for a game or two. You NEVER root for losses. That's for losers. Early picks are a crapshoot and it drives me nuts when fans say things like that and act like it's better than having more wins and a better season.

Ok, you say it's on the coach's but your leaving out 1 important fact: Jerry has hired/allowed the coach's to remain and continue to fail. It's on him.
And no coach worth a shit is gonna work for him.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is from 2013. We are talking about today. Not a few years back. As a Cowboy fan you should know Garrett has grown tremendously in power in his time here. Just look at his influence on the personnel side. And those articles do nothing but make assumptions. Garrett picks his coaches with his owners approval. Next you guys are going to start the talk about Jerry calling plays and deciding who starts

You think things have changed drastically in those few years? I don't. The only people who have grown in power in the organization is Stephen Jones and Will McClay. It just so happens that Stephen Jones' views happen to align with Garrett's often enough -- like when it came time to bench Romo, or releasing Dez.

Garrett does not have total say over his roster either, look no further than Greg Hardy being in Dallas for a year. That was Jerry all the way - including preventing Garrett from leveling any discipline on Hardy for his multiple outbursts, etc.

You say this is old news, but I think it gives some clues as to how the inner workings really are. You say it's nothing but speculation -- well what do you think you are doing? There's a little more evidence to support my claims than yours. Expecting/thinking 75+ year old Jerry Jones is going to all of a sudden give up the reigns to his favorite toy is naive.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your timeline is a bit off. Linehan took playcalling from Callahan.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think things have changed drastically in those few years? I don't. The only people who have grown in power in the organization is Stephen Jones and Will McClay. It just so happens that Stephen Jones' views happen to align with Garrett's often enough -- like when it came time to bench Romo, or releasing Dez.

Garrett does not have total say over his roster either, look no further than Greg Hardy being in Dallas for a year. That was Jerry all the way - including preventing Garrett from leveling any discipline on Hardy for his multiple outbursts, etc.

You say this is old news, but I think it gives some clues as to how the inner workings really are. You say it's nothing but speculation -- well what do you think you are doing? There's a little more evidence to support my claims than yours. Expecting/thinking 75+ year old Jerry Jones is going to all of a sudden give up the reigns to his favorite toy is naive.

Seriously? You sound like you are just doing more of the "if it goes wrong then Jerry is to blame, if it goes right then Jerry had no say in it" stuff.