• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who on this board called Wade's depature from Miami practically all of last season?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i fully undedrstand how serious blood clots are- i think you are failing to understand what i am saying.

im not saying i am for either side

i am saying its hard for me to believe bosh was told- if you play you are going to die- and despite that is insisting on playing.

There is no certainty here. Bosh was probably told that if he plays he COULD die. He may be okay with that risk. The Heat, rightly so, do not appear to be okay with it.

Most top notch athletes have to be willing to sacrifice their bodies to some Degree in order to compete the way that they do. Rules absolutely should be in place to help protect athletes from themselves, like the concussion protocols.

Saying that because Bosh is okay with the risk is proof that he is fit to play is ignorant at best. Bottom line is that we don't know, but I will side with the medical professionals on this one. Bosh is highly likely to make an irrational decision if allowed to make the call himself. Any organization employing him must have input as well.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for you to act like you know what the story is just shows how ignorant you. We have no freaking clue the particulars. The Heat wouldnt even confirm that he was out because of blood clots for months. We shouldnt know the particulars either as they are privileged between Bosh and his doctor and his employer.

We have very very very very little information - nothing more than a cursory web md definition of blood clots. For you to act like that is definitive is insane.

Im not saying i can side with either side- its just hard for me to believe that Bosh would be fighting to play if the advice he was getting was that he is taking his life into his own hands if he does so.

And for you to act like the bold is definitive is also insane. Basketball is all he knows...it's his livelihood and allows him to have his family financially set for generations.

He has busted his ass and sacrificed his whole life to reach the level that he has. Of course he's going to try and hang onto it for as long as he can. Especially when he's still young enough to be very good for a few more years.

It's easy for guys like us to look at it and say "Not worth it." But for guys at that level? They think differently than we do and for his way of thinking...it might very well be worth it. That's why they say that sometimes the team has to protect the player from himself.

I tend to side with the Heat for that reason and also because I think that if they thought it was at all safe for him to return, they'd want him back.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't be going out of too much of a limb at this point to say the Heat may have moved on from Bosh the basketball player quite some time ago, say in March...In all fairness, if I was the Heat I wouldn't want to be on the hook for that salary on a 32-year-old player either, unless of course his name happened to be LeBron James....

Has nothing to do with Bosh the ball player. Given the rise in the salary cap, a healthy Bosh is getting paid around what he should be. Problem is, he has a condition that seems to reoccur that's life threatening.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the part I might have been missing when I was wondering why they would stop him from playing when exercise on a routing basis is the key to successful living. Now not all patients have to take blood thinners the rest of their life - Coumadin is about the only one, and main one, which would increase the risk of bleeding profusely and considering how many got spooked over Magic Johnson wanting to play when he found out he was HIV positive, I'm thinking that most would be spooked now even though the HIV positive deal was twenty or more years ago

Yeah....it's a slippery slope.

If he is indeed at risk, Dude really has his priorities messed up.

Live for your wife and kids.

Look at what poor Jrue Holiday is going thru.

He and Monty Williams put family before basketball.

I have a really hard time believing the Heat are trying to push him out to save a few bucks.

But, I've been wrong before.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for you to act like the bold is definitive is also insane. Basketball is all he knows...it's his livelihood and allows him to have his family financially set for generations.

He has busted his ass and sacrificed his whole life to reach the level that he has. Of course he's going to try and hang onto it for as long as he can. Especially when he's still young enough to be very good for a few more years.

It's easy for guys like us to look at it and say "Not worth it." But for guys at that level? They think differently than we do and for his way of thinking...it might very well be worth it. That's why they say that sometimes the team has to protect the player from himself.

I tend to side with the Heat for that reason and also because I think that if they thought it was at all safe for him to return, they'd want him back.

This.

In the 14 years that I worked at the Sheriff's Department, 12 of my co-workers put their guns in their mouths and pulled the trigger.

8 because they lost their jobs and couldn't live with the loss of power, which got them in trouble to begin with.

2 ecause their Spouse started dating another cop, at the same station, and couldn't live with the public emasculation.

The last 2.....murder suicide.

Some folks can't cope, let go.

Sadly, Basketball is what defines him.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no certainty here. Bosh was probably told that if he plays he COULD die. He may be okay with that risk. The Heat, rightly so, do not appear to be okay with it.

Most top notch athletes have to be willing to sacrifice their bodies to some Degree in order to compete the way that they do. Rules absolutely should be in place to help protect athletes from themselves, like the concussion protocols.

Saying that because Bosh is okay with the risk is proof that he is fit to play is ignorant at best. Bottom line is that we don't know, but I will side with the medical professionals on this one. Bosh is highly likely to make an irrational decision if allowed to make the call himself. Any organization employing him must have input as well.
well we shall see wont we?

It sounds like right now he is going to play doesnt it?

I am sure he would bne allowed to play if he was going to drop dead....

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well we shall see wont we?

It sounds like right now he is going to play doesnt it?

I am sure he would bne allowed to play if he was going to drop dead....
Obviously Bosh wants to play and it defines his mentality. I expect that he knows what the risks are regardless of how high those risks are and believes that he can still play safely. Obviously the doctors appear prepared to let him play because if not they would have already shut him down permanently and they can do that if they decide the risk is too high. All it would take is for those doctors to warn Miami and Bosh would never see an NBA court as a player again. With blood clots, however there are risks and absolutely no one can predict them and be 100% sure that one won't kill him. And every one knows that.

Now that being said, I believe Pat Riley is being cautious for all of those reasons and he is a wise man to do so. For all those in here that have children, also knows the risks for children out there when they are not under their jurisdiction and there isn't one parent here who would say nothing to his or her daughter if he or she thought their son/daughter was going to go to the store and get shot. That's what responsible leadership is all about and I applaud Pat Riley for being cautious and it's not a decision I would want to make and I seriously doubt there is any team manager in the NBA wishing they had Bosh under the current circumstances

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a really hard time believing the Heat are trying to push him out to save a few bucks.

But, I've been wrong before.

I got a feeling it's both. The Heat don't want to pay that salary nor do they want Bosh to put his life at risk.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

In the 14 years that I worked at the Sheriff's Department, 12 of my co-workers put their guns in their mouths and pulled the trigger.

8 because they lost their jobs and couldn't live with the loss of power, which got them in trouble to begin with.

2 ecause their Spouse started dating another cop, at the same station, and couldn't live with the public emasculation.

The last 2.....murder suicide.

Some folks can't cope, let go.

Sadly, Basketball is what defines him.

Holy shit

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a feeling it's both. The Heat don't want to pay that salary nor do they want Bosh to put his life at risk.
The Heat doesn't have to pay the salary if he is on the dl - they have a specialty workers compensation insurance policy that pays the salary until he comes back.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Heat doesn't have to pay the salary if he is on the dl - they have a specialty workers compensation insurance policy that pays the salary until he comes back.

Who actually pays it doesn't matter. What matters is that if he's on the DL, his salary still counts against the cap.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who actually pays it doesn't matter. What matters is that if he's on the DL, his salary still counts against the cap.
I am not arguing that - but the person was making the argument something to the effect the Miami Heat would make decisions based on having to pay the salary and how to get out of it. I disagree because that's what they have insurance for. I believe they will make the best decisions possible based on the health and safety Bosh period. I have audited to many companies to believe they are going to play the guy if there is a chance a blood clot would kill him on the court. Pat Riley has to much integrity for that type of shit. It would be called a wrongful death lawsuit

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Miami Heat wants Bosh to play. Once the threat of blood clots is clear, he can play again. Then they will have to monitor the guy and make sure he doesn't get dehydrated on the court too quick like other players. I expect they will play him less and put him in more often in smaller time frames just to be safe, but I'm not a doctor. The doctor will tell them the best way too approach it

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not arguing that - but the person was making the argument something to the effect the Miami Heat would make decisions based on having to pay the salary and how to get out of it. I disagree because that's what they have insurance for. I believe they will make the best decisions possible based on the health and safety Bosh period. I have audited to many companies to believe they are going to play the guy if there is a chance a blood clot would kill him on the court. Pat Riley has to much integrity for that type of shit. It would be called a wrongful death lawsuit

But that's the part you're missing. It's not that the Heat want to get out of paying him, it's that they want to get out from under his cap hit if he can't play.

Paying Bosh the actual dollars isn't the issue. Obviously, they are happy to have insurance to cover it. But at the end of the day, they don't care if the money actually comes out of their pockets, they care about the cap hit.

If he can play, the cap hit doesn't matter. If he can't, it does.

Last edited:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's the part you're missing. It's not that the Heat want to get out of paying him, it's that they want to get out from under his cap hit if he can't play.

Paying Bosh the actual dollars isn't the issue. Obviously, they are happy to have insurance to cover it. But at the end of the say, they don't care if the money actually comes out of their pockets, they care about the cap hit.

If he can play, the cap hit doesn't matter. If he can't, it does.
I may be wrong, but I think they would like to see him play. They could always dump him in a trade which obviously they wouldn't get much, but while I am the one to raise the seriousness of the blood clot issues, I also think that he has resolved those issues in the past and been able to play again, so I tend to believe they are just being cautious and nothing more. They are still under the threshold of having to pay luxary taxes, but they are limited to what they can do. I can see now why the owners wanted that limit on the what the players get in percentage. The salaries now insane. I think they could get an injury exception, but that's hard with blood clots because you never know how they are going to roll

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be wrong, but I think they would like to see him play. They could always dump him in a trade which obviously they wouldn't get much, but while I am the one to raise the seriousness of the blood clot issues, I also think that he has resolved those issues in the past and been able to play again, so I tend to believe they are just being cautious and nothing more. They are still under the threshold of having to pay luxary taxes, but they are limited to what they can do. I can see now why the owners wanted that limit on the what the players get in percentage. The salaries now insane. I think they could get an injury exception, but that's hard with blood clots because you never know how they are going to roll

Clearing Bosh and his salary from the cap space is the more valuable approach at this juncture. We're not a contender with Bosh on this team and we'd get pennies on the dollar for Bosh at this point in a trade given that no team would really want him.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearing Bosh and his salary from the cap space is the more valuable approach at this juncture. We're not a contender with Bosh on this team and we'd get pennies on the dollar for Bosh at this point in a trade given that no team would really want him.
With both Wade and Lebron gone, I agree. I think that Miami will have the same problem the Lakers had with Kobe. No one wanted to play with Kobe because he had those injuries and was to far gone in his career. I think players will be spooked with the blood clot issue, but they still have Goran and Whiteside, so if they were to explode into something great, and Bosh resolves his issues, they could still be a pretty good team.

If I were going to be objective about this, I would say the Lakers look better because all of their rookies are going to be only get better and are further ahead in developing a better team them Miami. It seems like Miami need to completely rebuild

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With both Wade and Lebron gone, I agree. I think that Miami will have the same problem the Lakers had with Kobe. No one wanted to play with Kobe because he had those injuries and was to far gone in his career. I think players will be spooked with the blood clot issue, but they still have Goran and Whiteside, so if they were to explode into something great, and Bosh resolves his issues, they could still be a pretty good team.

If I were going to be objective about this, I would say the Lakers look better because all of their rookies are going to be only get better and are further ahead in developing a better team them Miami. It seems like Miami need to completely rebuild

Yeah, Winslow's offensive game is the question with him. Reports about him working on his game are out there, but I'd like to see it first. Everyone looks great on court in the offseason. I want to see his jumper in mid-March and even in the playoffs - sort of like how Lebron's jump shot continuously improved throughout his career to where it peaked in 2013. Richardson's another good one for the Heat who's showing a lot of promise. But yeah, the Lakers have a nice contingent of young talent in Randle, Russell, Clarkson, and now Ingram (who I'm most excited to see).

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Winslow's offensive game is the question with him. Reports about him working on his game are out there, but I'd like to see it first. Everyone looks great on court in the offseason. I want to see his jumper in mid-March and even in the playoffs - sort of like how Lebron's jump shot continuously improved throughout his career to where it peaked in 2013. Richardson's another good one for the Heat who's showing a lot of promise. But yeah, the Lakers have a nice contingent of young talent in Randle, Russell, Clarkson, and now Ingram (who I'm most excited to see).
This coming season might be painful, but next season I am looking to see things improve.