• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When it football season over?Tulo to the Cardinals?;

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Puig! YAY!!!

Puig's crappy fundamentals cost him any chance at ROY.

He botches at least one defensive play every game it appears to me.

LA can keep him as far as I'm concerned.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im also pretty shocked the Tribe didnt give a QO to Kazmir. He proved to be damn valuable going down the stretch

Too much money to gamble on a wildcard. Smart move by the Tribe. There will be pitchers better than him that they can sign for less money. It just may cost an extra year or so on a contract.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard some serious talks that McCann will sign with Boston

I don't want him. I think of the 13 players that received QO's and sign multi-year deals, his will be the worst for the team that signs him.

He is nearing DH only territory, and I want no part of that unless he's capable of Ortiz-type numbers, and he clearly is not.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, I am on the fence about this possible signing. I mean he could spark the Red Sox but I don't think he is worth the money they would have to pay him

Not worth the money.

One of my "Don'ts" of free agency has always been that you do not pay for speed because it doesn't age well. Another is to not sign a catcher 30 or older to a deal of more than 3 years. A lot of wear and tear on that body.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the year he just had he is thinking he can get more money... Not to mention he probably isn't too happy about his deal he was supposed to get before his hip problems.... the 1 year deal instead of 3... We shall see what happens.

This is a formality. Why take the one year deal and lose your negotiating leverage? He wants to be back and the Sox want him back. I am fairly certain this will get done. It just might cost us an extra guaranteed season now.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
resize.php

:laugh3: :L:laugh3:

lata shitheads!

"Lucy.....you got some 'splainin to do"

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not worth the money.

One of my "Don'ts" of free agency has always been that you do not pay for speed because it doesn't age well. Another is to not sign a catcher 30 or older to a deal of more than 3 years. A lot of wear and tear on that body.

Let's leave it at your 2nd idea makes more sense to me than your 1st one.

Red Sox have historically undervalued speed and I'm glad they're not as guilty of that now than they used to be.

Speed could well be more valuable in covering outfield ground than on the bases, but it's still worth paying good money for.

CaptO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too much money to gamble on a wildcard. Smart move by the Tribe. There will be pitchers better than him that they can sign for less money. It just may cost an extra year or so on a contract.

Buddy of mine just said Kazmirs in contract talks with the Os

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So my Steelers got a win against a weak Buffalo team. BIG DEAL. I can't believe that despite being 3-6 that they still have a shot at the playoffs, with 6 division games left in their last 7. Slim chance, but there nonetheless.

But this is a BASEBALL thread.

I heard the rumor yesterday that was sure to go down at some point. Tulo to the Cardinals.

I had predicted a couple of weeks ago that the Cards would ask about Tulo. They had to. Despite what the Rockies owner says, if they get a good offer, they have to make the deal. Tulo is owed $134mm over the next 7 seasons, assuming his 2021 option for $15mm is not picked up and they pay the $4mm buyout. Despite being the best SS in the game, he has a hard time staying on the field for more than 120 games and the Rockies are not a good team.

The NL West is very tough, with the Dodgers buying everybody, the Giants still having good pitching, and the D-Bax having a talented roster. The Rockies are going to have a tough time competing with what they have.

The Rockies need an influx of new young talent and the Cards can provide that. I think a trade of Shelby Miller, Matt Adams, and Kolten Wong would have to get the Rockies to let go.

Man, that would suck if the Cardinals got Tulowitski.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proof that guys like us can use our knowledge and interests for bigger and better things. Too bad that the odds are similar to winning the lotto, but........

On Nov. 13, 1988, a young man who had just dropped out of college and didn’t know what to do with his life wrote a letter to a writer/thinker he admired, asking to be his research assistant.

The letter writer was Rob Neyer. The recipient was Bill James.

I’m assuming that most of you out there in reader-land recognize those names. Bill James is the biggest name in sabermetrics, and did more than any other person to popularize the new way of approaching the game that has become part of the mainstream in the 21st century. Rather fittingly, James has joined the mainstream, joining the Boston Red Sox front office about a decade ago.

Today’s anniversary, though, is more about Neyer. James had already made his mark 25 years ago, with his series of annual abstracts, and his Historical Abstract. But Neyer was the guy getting off the ground.

Much to his own surprise, James called Neyer up and offered him the job as research assistant. Neyer stayed on for the next four years, before moving on to become a freelance writer. By the late 1990s, he’d found his niche, writing five columns a week for ESPN.com.

Sitting behind this keyboard, I have no idea how many of you were paying attention to the burgeoning online sabermetric community back in those days. But if you were, you’ll remember that in those days before Twitter, before blogs caught on, before Moneyball, if you wanted sabermetrics on the web, there were two places you could go. There was this little site just starting to get attention called Baseball Prospectus. And there was this guy at ESPN named Rob Neyer. Given the size of the platform ESPN gave him, Neyer was the most public and prominent sabermetric writer working on a regular basis back then. Bill James is great, but he’d broken the wand years ago. Prospectus was, as noted just getting started.

I remember that ESPN even gave Neyer his own message board wherw statheads like me could congregate. I spent plenty of time at the late, great Rob Neyer Message Board posting under the name clespider99.

Neyer’s central role gradually diminished. Prospectus took off (helped by Neyer giving it some attention). Generation Blog got going. Baseball Think Factory arose as a central watering hole for sabermetrics. Oh, yeah—The Hardball Times showed up, and so did FanGraphs and various other sites. Neyer still churned away, his series of columns changing into blog postings at ESPN. Eventually, he and the four-letter parted ways, and Neyer now resides at SB Nation.

But Neyer’s trek all began with that letter to Bill James—a letter written 25 years ago today.

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see where Tulo is staying put. Since Helton retired, who else is the face of the Rockies franchise? Tulo has been injured a lot, but he's a top 5 player when he's not on the DL. It's catch-22- without Tulo there is a lot less reason to buy a ticket, but they can always lose cheaper, without him. Unless the Rockies find some pitching, it's going to be tough to win...and Tulo would bring some pitching in trade. Status quo isn't good for either Tulo or the Rockies though. If they can't build a team around him before he's washed up, they should trade him.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the rumor yesterday that was sure to go down at some point. Tulo to the Cardinals.

I had predicted a couple of weeks ago that the Cards would ask about Tulo. They had to. Despite what the Rockies owner says, if they get a good offer, they have to make the deal. Tulo is owed $134mm over the next 7 seasons, assuming his 2021 option for $15mm is not picked up and they pay the $4mm buyout. Despite being the best SS in the game, he has a hard time staying on the field for more than 120 games and the Rockies are not a good team.

I'd love to see Tulowitski come play 3B for the Giants but ownership is way to cheap to pay for a player of his stature.