• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Should the Cleveland Browns Do With the #2 Pick?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actual trade completed is Eagles 2016 #8, #77, #100, 2017 1st, 2018 2nd for Browns 2016 #2, 2017 4th.

Yeah I saw that a few mins ago...not quite the path we were on, but still a pretty good haul for CLE.

Good move...now they need to deliver on these draft picks...something prior regimes have struggled with.

BPA on the board will probably be Buckner or Jack, I'm guessing.

I would not go OT @ 8...I can work with Spriggs at 32.

Question on Elliott...Is he a Gurley type talent?...if so, I would consider him at 8, but if he's just the best RB in this class then I can wait for later to get a bigger RB to complement D. Johnson.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently trade it to a dumbass Eagles FO.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winners:

Goff and Wentz - don't have to go to Cleveland

RG3 - no real quarterback competition

Browns - things will eventually get better

Sam Bradford - he hasn't earned his contract all these years, does it matter if he does now, goes somewhere gets another big contract

Chase Daniel - somebody has to keep that seat warm

Losers:

Browns fans - another dismal season for the Browns for foreseeable future

Browns front office - relying on a baseball guy to make them competitive in football

Draft picks

Browns invisible "young nucleus" - according to Sashi Brown

Eagles - in the East they are truly one quarterback away from being one and done in the postseason

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really did pull of a "Draft Day" trade.... Damn was that movie foreshadowing or what?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I saw that a few mins ago...not quite the path we were on, but still a pretty good haul for CLE.

Good move...now they need to deliver on these draft picks...something prior regimes have struggled with.

BPA on the board will probably be Buckner or Jack, I'm guessing.

I would not go OT @ 8...I can work with Spriggs at 32.

Question on Elliott...Is he a Gurley type talent?...if so, I would consider him at 8, but if he's just the best RB in this class then I can wait for later to get a bigger RB to complement D. Johnson.
Buckner wouldn't be a bad choice, he can play DE in the 3-4 that Cleveland will now be using. Jack, man, I love his talent but his knees scare me. He seems like a guy who is going to flash and then his career will slowly be derailed by injuries. It's too bad.

I agree on not using 8 on an OT. Unless they're trading Joe Thomas, you're wasting yet another high pick on a non-premier position.

Elliott is definitely a Gurley-level talent. He's one of the most complete RB prospects in the last 20 years or so - elite runner, elite vision, physical, solid hands, but his blocking prowess is off the charts (Kiper said he is the best blocking back he has ever evaluated). I've said several times on here that I would be beyond thrilled if Cleveland took him at 8.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams should draft Wentz, then force Philly to send trade them Goff and their other 3rd round puck.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With respect to the Browns and their fans, they aced this trade.
Browns QB is settled. Browns traded 1 pick for 5 to a draft the next QB junkie team.

What is not to like about this ?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland and Tennessee both made very smart moves. Now they just need to use their picks wisely…

:nod:

All the analysts are in agreement that this is one of the deepest drafts in years. Titans and Browns could get multiple longterm starters out of these trade deals if they choose wisely and develop them right.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All the analysts are in agreement that this is one of the deepest drafts in years. Titans and Browns could get multiple longterm starters out of these trade deals if they choose wisely and develop them right.

Exactly. Plus it's not like the difference between their first pick and the one they received in their respective trades will be THAT significant.

3 years from now I think we'll look back and laugh at the Eagles and Rams… unless they do hit a home run with their top 2 picks.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Plus it's not like the difference between their first pick and the one they received in their respective trades will be THAT significant.

3 years from now I think we'll look back and laugh at the Eagles and Rams… unless they do hit a home run with their top 2 picks.
The only problem is, we may never even know if Wentz or Goff hit their peak, because both teams are so handicapped now in terms of building quality young depth. They both need to pray they find some diamonds in the rough in the later rounds, or they're both screwed.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For the first time in I don't even know how many years, I feel confident in Cleveland doing just that. We finally have a coach with experience who knows how to properly coach a QB, and who also understands the value in providing weapons for their respective QB. If the Browns wind up with Elliott at 8, and a WR at 32, RG3 could have a solid bounceback season next year. The right side of the OL is a concern, but as we've seen, you don't need to spend early round picks on a RT. Cleveland currently has 6 of the top 100 picks, they can definitely find a quality RT, 2 WRs that can contribute early, and DL depth.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buckner wouldn't be a bad choice, he can play DE in the 3-4 that Cleveland will now be using. Jack, man, I love his talent but his knees scare me. He seems like a guy who is going to flash and then his career will slowly be derailed by injuries. It's too bad.

I agree on not using 8 on an OT. Unless they're trading Joe Thomas, you're wasting yet another high pick on a non-premier position.

Elliott is definitely a Gurley-level talent. He's one of the most complete RB prospects in the last 20 years or so - elite runner, elite vision, physical, solid hands, but his blocking prowess is off the charts (Kiper said he is the best blocking back he has ever evaluated). I've said several times on here that I would be beyond thrilled if Cleveland took him at 8.

Thanks for the insight on Elliott. I just haven't seen him or Bosa that many times. I saw the entire run (pardon the pun) for Gurley @ UGA...I knew he was a special RB pretty much from day one.

By sliding down to 8 and out of the Goff/Wentz fray, the Browns appear to be saying they're going to give RG3 the reins for the majority of the '16 season.

A great RB is still a strong commodity in this era of the NFL, but truthfully, assuming Thomas stays put, I probably would take Buckner, and come back with Spriggs to plug in the RT spot. I'm a believer in building inside out, and after watching my local team (the Falcons) try to do it with great skill players, and lessor talent in the trenches...I'm even more convinced now and would most likely not take a RB @ 8 if I'm running the Browns.

If they were closer to a playoff caliber team, a stud RB makes more sense to me that high, but we're realistically looking at '18 maybe before this team is ready to stand toe to toe in the DIV.

Jack...assuming the knee is 100%...in that 3-4 imo he's better suited to play inside vs OLB...considering the DEs on the roster, he's going to be fighting off Olineman a lot just to make tackles...3-4 yds down field....I saw that a lot prior to PIT getting Heyward and Tuitt.

The movement might not be over. With Lynch now becoming a hotter commodity for teams thinking earlier that he might slide into the teens...if SF doesn't take him @ 7...I would expect some calls from teams wanting to move up to 8. At this point, it might make sense to move back into the teens and target Reed, Robinson or Lawson...they have a good young NT, but he needs help.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the insight on Elliott. I just haven't seen him or Bosa that many times. I saw the entire run (pardon the pun) for Gurley @ UGA...I knew he was a special RB pretty much from day one.

By sliding down to 8 and out of the Goff/Wentz fray, the Browns appear to be saying they're going to give RG3 the reins for the majority of the '16 season.

A great RB is still a strong commodity in this era of the NFL, but truthfully, assuming Thomas stays put, I probably would take Buckner, and come back with Spriggs to plug in the RT spot. I'm a believer in building inside out, and after watching my local team (the Falcons) try to do it with great skill players, and lessor talent in the trenches...I'm even more convinced now and would most likely not take a RB @ 8 if I'm running the Browns.

If they were closer to a playoff caliber team, a stud RB makes more sense to me that high, but we're realistically looking at '18 maybe before this team is ready to stand toe to toe in the DIV.

Jack...assuming the knee is 100%...in that 3-4 imo he's better suited to play inside vs OLB...considering the DEs on the roster, he's going to be fighting off Olineman a lot just to make tackles...3-4 yds down field....I saw that a lot prior to PIT getting Heyward and Tuitt.

The movement might not be over. With Lynch now becoming a hotter commodity for teams thinking earlier that he might slide into the teens...if SF doesn't take him @ 7...I would expect some calls from teams wanting to move up to 8. At this point, it might make sense to move back into the teens and target Reed, Robinson or Lawson...they have a good young NT, but he needs help.
No problem, happy to help. I've been following Zeke since his recruitment, and he's special no doubt.

You're right about the Browns' position on RG3, and I tend to agree. You can't deny the guy has the talent to play the position. I think Washington was just a mess in terms of how he was coached. Hue Jackson is a guy renowned for his ability to coach up and get the most from his QBs, and given that he's only 26 I'm fine with building around him, at least for this draft.

Regarding building inside out, I see where you're coming from, and it can be a great way to do so. However, this is what Cleveland has been doing. Last year, there was a point when we were starting three 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders on our OL, and it didn't matter because we lacked the skill players to take advantage. I am an adamant supporter of drafting OL in the mid- to late-rounds, especially when there are so many unquestionably more talented players available at other positions of need. Given how strongly Hue Jackson relies on the running game, Zeke makes perfect sense. Not only is he an elite runner, but he can make up for some of the OL losses with his hyper-elite pass-blocking abilities. He is much more of a sure thing than Buckner, IMO.

I think they already came back with Jack's final medicals and it doesn't look good. They did a final recheck in Indy last week, and reports are that the bone and cartilage from his surgically repaired knee are starting to break away. One source described his knee as a "time bomb". With a pick this high in such an important draft, I don't think you can risk that.

The Lynch movement is very interesting. He's not a top 10 pick, but if Cleveland decides ultimately to move back down again to stockpile more picks (which from what I'm hearing is entirely possible), he might make sense in the late teens. It will be interesting to follow in the next week for sure.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With respect to the Browns and their fans, they aced this trade.
Browns QB is settled. Browns traded 1 pick for 5 to a draft the next QB junkie team.

What is not to like about this ?

Signing RG3 as your starting QB at this point in your career is settling, but not the kind you're describing.

Given past Browns drafts, the next move is to reach on a QB prospect. Lynch at #8?

SpartyOn51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot see even the Browns reaching to take Lynch at #8. So many more holes to fill. Is RG3 the answer? Probably not. They should be able to nab a QB somewhere later in the draft. What do you guys think CLE should do with #8?