• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What do the lakers need to be the dominant team in Los Angeles again?

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read everyone of those old articles when they first came out and everyone of them is speculation (just like on the message boards).

We do, however, have Dwight stating that Kobe had nothing to do with it.

Nice try.

There is no question that Kobe and Dwight had a difference of opinion on how the team should be led. Kobe said as much himself. As I pointed out in a previous post, a guy with zero rings thought he knew more about winning rings that a guy with 5.

End of the day, the Lakers will be better off in the long run without Dwight and Houston won't win a title building around him.

Everyone of them is speculation? Even the one from Jamison, who was on the team? His is speculation too? Really?

Now it's better off in the long run? the long run can be 50 years...Immediately the Lakers are not better off without him.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone of them is speculation? Even the one from Jamison, who was on the team? His is speculation too? Really?

Now it's better off in the long run? the long run can be 50 years...Immediately the Lakers are not better off without him.

Its no use telling them that when the evidence is right in front of their eyes. Someone correct me if I am wrong but all these all stars players are hooking up whenever possible and LA hasn't gotten 1 all star level player to come willingly as a FA since Kobe was the #1 option except MWP? Kobe even tried to recruit Raja Bell and Raja said no thanks.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The LAKERS will win the lottery.

....refrigerated lottery cards and tinfoil hat conspiracy style.....

There is no doubt in my mind. The LAKERS are important to the overall health of the league.

If they are eligible to get the top pick, they will get it.

If not, they will leapfrog to the highest possible lottery pick mathematically possible.

And I have ZERO PROBLEMS with it.

The NBA is a better product when the Lakers are a good team.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its no use telling them that when the evidence is right in front of their eyes. Someone correct me if I am wrong but all these all stars players are hooking up whenever possible and LA hasn't gotten 1 all star level player to come willingly as a FA since Kobe was the #1 option except MWP? Kobe even tried to recruit Raja Bell and Raja said no thanks.

:L :L :L

Here we go with this again. Its reall crazy how you can explain something 24683 times, but people would still ask the same questions.

First of all, these all star players hooking up is a new thing, so dont act like its been going on for a long time. Second, do you know its this thing called salary cap. When teams are over that cap, they cant sign all star players. The only way they can sign decent players, is through the MLE

Think before you type.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers management has already said that they will pay the luxury tax if it means they'll have a contender (just like Dr. Buss always did). Because of the Time-Warner deal, they have more money available to them than any other team in the league.

As for signing max FA's the Lakers haven't because they haven't had to since Shaq in '96. Also, they've been capped out pretty much since they signed Shaq in '96 and it's brought them 7 finals appearances and 5 titles.

The Lakers will be jut fine and will be back quickly, despite what Suns fans (among others) believe.

January 12th, 2014. Interview with Kupchak, asking him about the thought of the repeaters tax when assembling a roster for the next few years.

Kupchak: You have to be out of the luxury tax in two out of five years to avoid a repeater penalty. If we stay in the tax this season, it will be three consecutive seasons as taxpayers. Now, how that impacts future decisions depends on the mechanics of each deal. Like anything else, if there is a debt that you have to pay, you'd like to get it behind you as soon as possible. But ownership here has never been afraid to be in the tax. If you're $30 million over the tax as a repeater, that's a tax bill of about $130 million. But if you're in the tax and it's only $1 million over, it's around $2.5 million. So you’re still a repeater in the latter situation, but that’s a big difference.

MT: In short, the repeater tax is a major factor you have to be aware of, but isn’t a black and white line you can’t cross, at least for the Lakers.

Kupchak: Correct. It's a looming black cloud that was created for a reason.

Mitch Kupchak views repeater tax as 'looming black cloud' for Lakers - SBNation.com

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a rainy cloud for the Lakers...and a death penalty for teams like the Pacers and Thunder.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L :L :L

Here we go with this again. Its reall crazy how you can explain something 24683 times, but people would still ask the same questions.

First of all, these all star players hooking up is a new thing, so dont act like its been going on for a long time. Second, do you know its this thing called salary cap. When teams are over that cap, they cant sign all star players. The only way they can sign decent players, is through the MLE

Think before you type.

No its not a new thing. Whats new is 3 all star level players hooking up. Lakers have never had an issue going over the salary cap. As a matter of fact most fans brag about ability and willingness to do just that. Yes they are limited now but dont act like it was an issue before.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't every one complain about Bill because he had so many good players on his team?

Top players will always be maneuvered to play together either by owners (socially acceptable apparently) or by the players themselves (completely socially unacceptable that players would think for themselves off the court, outrageous and preposterous really).

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't every one complain about Bill because he had so many good players on his team?

Top players will always be maneuvered to play together either by owners (socially acceptable apparently) or by the players themselves (completely socially unacceptable that players would think for themselves off the court, outrageous and preposterous really).

It's just the difference in how things are done now and how they used to be done. Players like Magic, Bird and MJ wouldn't have tried to do what Lebron, D-Wade and Bosh did because back then, it just wasn't done that way. That's why they and fans who grew up watching them don't like what the Heat's Big 3 did.

While I don't like it, it seems that what the Lebron, D-Wade and Bosh did may simply be the next logical step in free agency. Players have been using free agency to play for teams of their choice for years. It's a pretty safe bet that there were conversations about some of those moves between players looking to play together. The main difference is that the Heat threw it in everyone's face.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
January 12th, 2014. Interview with Kupchak, asking him about the thought of the repeaters tax when assembling a roster for the next few years.

Kupchak: You have to be out of the luxury tax in two out of five years to avoid a repeater penalty. If we stay in the tax this season, it will be three consecutive seasons as taxpayers. Now, how that impacts future decisions depends on the mechanics of each deal. Like anything else, if there is a debt that you have to pay, you'd like to get it behind you as soon as possible. But ownership here has never been afraid to be in the tax. If you're $30 million over the tax as a repeater, that's a tax bill of about $130 million. But if you're in the tax and it's only $1 million over, it's around $2.5 million. So you’re still a repeater in the latter situation, but that’s a big difference.

MT: In short, the repeater tax is a major factor you have to be aware of, but isn’t a black and white line you can’t cross, at least for the Lakers.

Kupchak: Correct. It's a looming black cloud that was created for a reason.

Mitch Kupchak views repeater tax as 'looming black cloud' for Lakers - SBNation.com

Exactly. The Lakers intend to be under the cap next season to avoid the repeater tax. However, as Kupchak also seems to indicate, they'll pay it under the right circumstances.

Example: If Lebron were to say he'll sign with the Lakers, it's a pretty safe bet that they would bite the bullet and pay the tax. The revenue generated from additional jersey sales and the interest in Kobe and Lebron playing together for Kobe's final 2 season's would likely be astronomical.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just the difference in how things are done now and how they used to be done. Players like Magic, Bird and MJ wouldn't have tried to do what Lebron, D-Wade and Bosh did because back then, it just wasn't done that way. That's why they and fans who grew up watching them don't like what the Heat's Big 3 did.

While I don't like it, it seems that what the Lebron, D-Wade and Bosh did may simply be the next logical step in free agency. Players have been using free agency to play for teams of their choice for years. It's a pretty safe bet that there were conversations about some of those moves between players looking to play together. The main difference is that the Heat threw it in everyone's face.

I agree with everything. Lebron/Dwade/Bosh will be credited with this new idea of free agency super team forming. But do you not credit KG/Pierce/Allen with this first? I realize the differences as Lebron and Bosh truely were free agents and KG and Allen were not. But KG absolutely forced a trade upon the Wolves at the time. Like I said, Lebron/Wade/Bosh will get the credit.. and deservedly so. But I think this idea came from the Celtics big 3. Especially considering at least Lebron and Wade couldnt take down that big 3 in the EC playoffs. In order to destroy the beast, they had to become a beast.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No its not a new thing. Whats new is 3 all star level players hooking up. Lakers have never had an issue going over the salary cap. As a matter of fact most fans brag about ability and willingness to do just that. Yes they are limited now but dont act like it was an issue before.

Clearly, you do not understand the salary cap as I expected. You only can go over the cap, with your own players, not free agents.

Go learn about the salary cap before you argue with me.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jackson_050427.jpg
+
shaq-in-his-magic-days.jpg

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flague, sure Dwight Howard and Kobe didn't really get along...but as I said from the summer, it comes down to this....it was either Dantoni or Dwight. They chose Dantoni and Dwight bolted...had they chose Phil, I have a GOOD feeling that Dwight would be in a Laker jersey today, but the past is the past. As for the tax, I could see them moving Gasol for pennies if they have to. As for what we need to get back to the top, several Laker fans have already said what I was going to

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly, you do not understand the salary cap as I expected. You only can go over the cap, with your own players, not free agents.

Go learn about the salary cap before you argue with me.

This is true, but you can also go over the cap by signing veteran players to the minimum.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flague, sure Dwight Howard and Kobe didn't really get along...but as I said from the summer, it comes down to this....it was either Dantoni or Dwight. They chose Dantoni and Dwight bolted...had they chose Phil, I have a GOOD feeling that Dwight would be in a Laker jersey today, but the past is the past. As for the tax, I could see them moving Gasol for pennies if they have to. As for what we need to get back to the top, several Laker fans have already said what I was going to

I agree. I think had the lakers had Phil, Dwight stays. For the life of me, I dont get why Phil isnt on the Lakers sidelines. The fact he isnt, would concern me far more than the Kobe contract. It shows the utter incompetence of current laker management. Baby buss is not what daddy was.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything. Lebron/Dwade/Bosh will be credited with this new idea of free agency super team forming. But do you not credit KG/Pierce/Allen with this first? I realize the differences as Lebron and Bosh truely were free agents and KG and Allen were not. But KG absolutely forced a trade upon the Wolves at the time. Like I said, Lebron/Wade/Bosh will get the credit.. and deservedly so. But I think this idea came from the Celtics big 3. Especially considering at least Lebron and Wade couldnt take down that big 3 in the EC playoffs. In order to destroy the beast, they had to become a beast.

True. The difference with Lebron/D-Wade and Bosh were basically the first to come out and say that it was their idea to play together. I think everyone knew that there was a bit more involved in the C's big 3 getting together than Kevin McHale deciding he wanted to help his old teammate, but overall it came off as a great trade by the Celtics and that's how it was portrayed.

In all honesty, without "The Decision" and " The After Party", I don't think it would have been such a big deal. But when you had all of that spectacle combined with the "appearance of collusion", it just put a bad taste in a lot of people's mouth's.

I say "appearance of collusion" because some have accused the Heat of collusion, but what they did isn't collusion.