• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"We'll take it." -- Ilya Kovalchuk

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
EDIT: The quote is "We'll take that" not "it".

Kovalchuk's response on getting 3 out of 4 points the last two days.

I'm going to completely ignore the turnover, and say, this is the the most enraging thing I've ever seen him say in print. We're not even on the edge of the cliff at this point. We're handing on with one fingernail, and this is his response?

This isn't fucking Atlanta. It's not acceptable to win a playoff game once every eight years.

Not only did we miss out on a point, but we let a team we need to pass to make the playoffs get two points instead of zero. I can't even believe this is is response. I get that it's February, but I refuse to accept a mail it in mentality.

He saved the Devils from giving a goal and directly led to one, so I'll let those things even out, but that comment is inexcusable. I wish Scott Stevens would go knock some sense into him.

Last edited by a moderator:

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Its delusional to be thinking playoffs. I'm guessing that nobody on the team is thinking about the standings at all, including Lou and Jaques. Its all about how the Devils play. I dont give a shit about how the panthers, leafs, hurricanes, or thrashers are doing anymore. Their success or failure has nothing to do with the Devils

The players are playing for more than playoffs right now; they are playing for jobs next year. If the team performs poorly down the stretch there could be a few guys that will have dressed their final NHL game.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Honestly, we could have moved to within 16 points of Atlanta with games in hand.

Also we have:

3 more games against Carolina
2 games against Atlanta
2 against Toronto
1 against Florida
2 games against Ottawa.
1 against Buffalo.

Sure it's a huge long shot.

But 24-4-2 is 90pts. We started last year at 30-10-1 and this year's team should be better (at least if Parise was healthy).

Furthermore, Kovalchuk isn't one of the guys who's playing for a contract, and evening ignoring the playoffs, I expect any player on this team to not be ok with blowing a game like tonight's. My whole reasoning for bringing up the playoffs was to point out that if that's the mentality with the team rapidly closing in on statistical irrelevancy, that pisses me off. Throwing in the towel is not ok.

We could have been within 9 pts of Florida tonight and 10 behind Buffalo. Instead we're 11 behind Buffalo and 12 behind Florida. All these games against the rest of the bottom dwellers are 4 point swings in the standings. We need to be winning those.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Furthermore, factoring in our 11 game streak.

If we extrapolated that out over the remaining 30 games we would end up with a record of 22-3-5 in our final 30 games. That's 49 more points and 89 total. That's 1 more than Philly and Montreal got last year.

So sure it might not happen, but just playing at our current pace we'll end up with 89. Is it likely, no, but what the hell, not caring about that measly point certainly won't get there. Imagine if we end up with 88 and could have had 89 pts if we didn't blow this game. Sure there are 40 before this that we could have won, but now they really count.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
hahahaha shut up will ya

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not hard to figure out. He's a one trick pony.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Furthermore, factoring in our 11 game streak.

If we extrapolated that out over the remaining 30 games we would end up with a record of 22-3-5 in our final 30 games. That's 49 more points and 89 total. That's 1 more than Philly and Montreal got last year.

So sure it might not happen, but just playing at our current pace we'll end up with 89. Is it likely, no, but what the hell, not caring about that measly point certainly won't get there. Imagine if we end up with 88 and could have had 89 pts if we didn't blow this game. Sure there are 40 before this that we could have won, but now they really count.

given the choice of 3 out of 4 or 2 out of 4 what would you take? simple answer ( i know thats hard for you) which one

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
given the choice of 3 out of 4 or 2 out of 4 what would you take? simple answer ( i know thats hard for you) which one

I would be a little more upset that we blew two points.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think we should make a big deal about that comment. Remember English is his second language. I don't think he meant to say hey its not a big deal we lost but at least we got a point. I work with a Russian developer and at times he makes comments that don't sound good but its not what he meant to say.

Kovy cares. He went to Lemaire and asked him to make him a better all aroud player, especially defensively.
To me that shows that he wants to win.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could be either way. Either he didnt mean it they way we take it or he still has the Thrasher mindset of "eh, atleast we got a point"....who knows. I do know its better he said that as a Devil and not a Ranger. Could you imagine how much more worse this season would be for the players if they Devils had the same amount of press the Rangers do?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would be a little more upset that we blew two points.

this doesnt answer the simple question....what a shock. however where was this anger when talender turned the puck over leading to the gwg against the cats a few weeks ago?

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasnt there a discussion about that? Or was that for Zub's? Either way, I thought this thread was about Kovy's reaction to losing, not so much about giving up the goal.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
this doesnt answer the simple question....what a shock. however where was this anger when talender turned the puck over leading to the gwg against the cats a few weeks ago?

First, in my initial post I specifically said we can ignore the turnover, because he also saved a goal against. I brought it up later because you want to give Ilya a pass again, but the man's wearing an A, and he should know better than that. There shouldn't be the nonchalant attitude right now. That's all.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Simple answer is 3. But the point is they blew a point, and gave someone ahead of us in the standings two points instead of zero, so there shouldn't be a simple answer to your question. Point is, if a reporter asks that question, you should be saying that although it's good we got three, we should have had four, and we'll get back to work.

Now, at least he looks like he's hustling today, which is obviously a good thing for the Devils.

Last edited by a moderator:

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Give me 3 points out of 4 any day of the week esp a day after an emotional game against the rangers the night before. Do u expect the team to run the table? That game had all the markings of a trap game. I'm more then happy getting that point in that situation. Would I want both yes....but u have to look positive and see how they respond today which was a great game.

skrillex26

Keep It On Ice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Simple answer is 3. But the point is they blew a point, and gave someone ahead of us in the standings two points instead of zero, so there shouldn't be a simple answer to your question. Point is, if a reporter asks that question, you should be saying that although it's good we got three, we should have had four, and we'll get back to work.

Now, at least he looks like he's hustling today, which is obviously a good thing for the Devils.

Um almost EVERY team is ahead of us in the standings.