• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Well, I Just Had To Laugh....."

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I already read her bio. I still fail to see your supposed point.

I played basketball at a fairly high level through college. I never had any previous coaching experience and never played in the NBA but I had enough of a knowledge base by playing competitively into my 30s (until my mcl tear) that I could slide right into ANY coaching staff and be able to function well, that would include an NBA staff. Becky played at a higher level than I did and seems to have been groomed for post career coaching (again, quite a common occurrence) so I see no reason to automatically assume she is incapable of performing her job duties.

Basketball isn't the most complex game. There are only a limited number of systens, and only a limited amount of offenses and defenses within these systems, and only a finite number of sets and plays within these. We aren't talking about theoretical physics here.

If you were able to say "Yeah, I spent time within the organization and she is incapable" or even "My cousin knows Pop and he said she was only a hire for sake of diversity" then MAYBE you would have something. But instead you just make huge leaps in "logic" that only show you are not willing to approach the subject from a logical stance because of your personal biases.

Oh, I also have no idea what "point" you were trying to make with the 8 or so pics you attached to your post since they won't load because I assume you overloaded a function (and I sure as hell am not clicking on any of them). So that was just a hard fail on your part.
You cannot see the point? That being that she had no previous coaching experience at any level? I think you give yourself too much credit on the bolded. No wonder you think the chick in San Antonio can do it, because you think you could..

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I already read her bio. I still fail to see your supposed point.

I played basketball at a fairly high level through college. I never had any previous coaching experience and never played in the NBA but I had enough of a knowledge base by playing competitively into my 30s (until my mcl tear) that I could slide right into ANY coaching staff and be able to function well, that would include an NBA staff. Becky played at a higher level than I did and seems to have been groomed for post career coaching (again, quite a common occurrence) so I see no reason to automatically assume she is incapable of performing her job duties.

Basketball isn't the most complex game. There are only a limited number of systems, and only a limited amount of offenses and defenses within these systems, and only a finite number of sets and plays within these. We aren't talking about theoretical physics here.

If you were able to say "Yeah, I spent time within the organization and she is incapable" or even "My cousin knows Pop and he said she was only a hire for sake of diversity" then MAYBE you would have something. But instead you just make huge leaps in "logic" that only show you are not willing to approach the subject from a logical stance because of your personal biases.

Oh, I also have no idea what "point" you were trying to make with the 8 or so pics you attached to your post since they won't load because I assume you overloaded a function (and I sure as hell am not clicking on any of them). So that was just a hard fail on your part.
No point. Just lack of computer skills.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cannot see the point? That being that she had no previous coaching experience at any level? I think you give yourself too much credit on the bolded. No wonder you think the chick in San Antonio can do it, because you think you could..
Your original point was that she never played on the NBA. But when that was proven beyond a doubt to be a fallacy you then switched to "no prior coaching experience". My proposal is that on-court experience can easily prepare a person for a coaching career. Many, many examples of players using the knowledge and experience they've gained to jump start a coaching career and being groomed for coachimg positions, and that isn't even taking into account that running the pg position can move you even further along the spectrum.

It seems your modus operandi is to take a controversial stance and then stick with it in the face of all reason. Good luck with that.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your original point was that she never played on the NBA. But when that was proven beyond a doubt to be a fallacy you then switched to "no prior coaching experience". My proposal is that on-court experience can easily prepare a person for a coaching career. Many, many examples of players using the knowledge and experience they've gained to jump start a coaching career and being groomed for coachimg positions, and that isn't even taking into account that running the pg position can move you even further along the spectrum.

It seems your modus operandi is to take a controversial stance and then stick with it in the face of all reason. Good luck with that.
Not even close. My original point was that she had no coaching experience at any level when she was hired and was thus unqualified begin her coaching career at the highest level.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Facts"? Like your "Fact" that the norm in the NBA is to hire coaches without any coaching experience"? Got it.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the "norm". It has happened and continues to happen often enough that it certainly isn't out of the ordinary.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even close. My original point was that she had no coaching experience at any level when she was hired and was thus unqualified begin her coaching career at the highest level.
.......which has also been demonstrated as incorrect.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the "norm". It has happened and continues to happen often enough that it certainly isn't out of the ordinary.

I actually think it is very ordinary to hire assistants at the NBA level who don’t have prior coaching experience.

Most former players who end up on NBA benches start as NBA assistants, not in high school or college.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like the permission to post on this thread. Last time I strayed , I got a time out!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think it is very ordinary to hire assistants at the NBA level who don’t have prior coaching experience.

Most former players who end up on NBA benches start as NBA assistants, not in high school or college.
Sure, but that's ok with Monty because they played in the NBA so they can do that.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In post #176 of this thread I proved to you that it was correct.
Ummm......posting her bio proves nothing of her ability as a coach but it does speak to her basketball experience.
Again:
1. The MAJORITY of NBA HEAD coaches were never NBA players. In 2018 63.6% never played in the NBA and 51.5% have zero professional playing experience at any level. Some examples include Pops, Spoelstra, Vogel, etc. Just a couple other related examples include Aurbach, Daly and Coach K. (I could list dozens).
2. Previous coaching experience is NOT a requirement for a coaching gig, not even an NBA assistant coach.
-A multi time all-star pg at the WNBA level has enough experience and knowledge to be able easily transition into a coaching gig.
-Do you even know what her role is on the Spurs staff? My guess would be that duties were at least initially heavy into to pgs/backcourt, offensive execution, etc. Then over 7 years she has proven her abilities enough garner more responsibility on the staff.

The point is that to be a coach on whatever level there is ONLY one requirement: have the ability to perform the job at a high level. To just assume that Pops hired someone that is incapable is just flat out stupid. He is trying to win and he and the Spurs org wouldn't jeopardize that by hiring people they didn't feel were capable of being a good coach and team member.

I will leave you with that stance: Yes, Pops and the GM intentionally hurt his own team's chances to win by just hiring random people with no expertise to coaching positions because they are secretly sabatoging the Spurs organization. Later tonight Pops is going to hit DeRozen in the knee with a chair and then go over to the Lakers bench where he and LeBron will cut a Ric Flair- style heel promo about how he was betrayed and he's now on the LA side!
It would be a great show but about as realistic as the scenerio you propose.