• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Weird AHL Goal

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, a really weird goal just happened at the Charlotte Checkers vs. Hershey Bears AHL game. A player from each team were behind the Checkers net. A Checkers player tried to put the puck around, but it deflected off the Bears player, straight up in the air, and landed on the top of the net. Before the ref could blow the whistle, the Bears player slapped his stick down onto the top of the net which caused the puck to pop up in the air, deflect off the back of the head of the goaltender and into the net.

I've never seen anything like that happen before, but they allowed it to stand after a short discussion. As far as I can tell, the guy didn't touch the puck.

I didn't think it should count because the play should have been blown dead when the luck landed on the net.

What does everyone else think?

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree it should have been blown dead, but if they did not blow the whistle during the play, they cannot retroactively go and call the play dead. So its a good goal because of a bad no whistle.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking the ref should still have waived off under the intent to blow the whistle idea.

Don't know for sure that they have that at the AHL level though.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it should've been allowed. It's kinda like hitting the netting. Just because the ref hadn't blown the whistle doesn't mean the play should have commenced.