• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 9: Duke @ Virginia Tech, Saturday 10/26 3:30PM on ESPNU

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish they would have announced over the PA system that open tryouts for kicker were being held on Sunday.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do have a confession to make. I think the gods were angry with me on Saturday, my parents were in town, and my dad and I were out in the back yard for some beers, music and a quick game of cornhole before the game started....

well the people that live across the canal from my back yard had set up an event tent that morning, and a large gathering of people had started to amass. as dad and I were finishing our first beers, and the first couple rounds of cornhole, I noticed them speaking over a microphone. The part that I heard, "Devin, had I known that would have been the last day I would see you, the last time I would talk to you..."

Dad and I went inside at that point, but I think the damage may have been done, we were getting some perturbed looks from the folks at the memorial service.

My thing is though, if you're going to be doing one of these in your backyard on a Saturday early afternoon, shouldn't you let your neighbors know? What if I had planned some huge tailgate party or something?

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when I saw Ron Cherry was ref'ing the game I knew we were in for it. This guy is a clown and his calls are very lop-sided at times. That being said, we should have POUNDED the fucking ball! Each time we ran it with Edmunds we gained 3+ yards. I still think we are abandoning the running game way too early. I am not going to attack our OC yet - but that really gets to me. We model ourselves as a run first team and i think we do have the players / ability to run the ball and sustain drives by doing so.

Also I am probably in the minority here, Logan should have been benched well into the third quarter. He looked exactly like Glennon out there - overwhelmed and trying to do too much. Who knows what Leal can do in a game. if we took the approach that he sucks to bad in scrimmages to play then some of the guys on our D wouldn't even be playing like Dadi.

Bottom line - we were out coached and out played by fucking Duke.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I am probably in the minority here, Logan should have been benched well into the third quarter. He looked exactly like Glennon out there - overwhelmed and trying to do too much. Who knows what Leal can do in a game.

You're not. At some point you have to do what gives our team the best chance to win. Running Logan, who was playing like absolute crap, out there over again, is not doing that. There were plenty of open receivers he missed just because he was late on his throws, or didn't throw the ball.

Also, it was only a matter of time before Journell was going to bite us in the ass. I just seriously can't believe that these are our two best options.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I do have a confession to make. I think the gods were angry with me on Saturday, my parents were in town, and my dad and I were out in the back yard for some beers, music and a quick game of cornhole before the game started....

well the people that live across the canal from my back yard had set up an event tent that morning, and a large gathering of people had started to amass. as dad and I were finishing our first beers, and the first couple rounds of cornhole, I noticed them speaking over a microphone. The part that I heard, "Devin, had I known that would have been the last day I would see you, the last time I would talk to you..."

Dad and I went inside at that point, but I think the damage may have been done, we were getting some perturbed looks from the folks at the memorial service.

My thing is though, if you're going to be doing one of these in your backyard on a Saturday early afternoon, shouldn't you let your neighbors know? What if I had planned some huge tailgate party or something?

Somehow, I think this loss was more about not having a consistent field goal kicker than not being aware of your neighbor's memorial service.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You're not. At some point you have to do what gives our team the best chance to win. Running Logan, who was playing like absolute crap, out there over again, is not doing that. There were plenty of open receivers he missed just because he was late on his throws, or didn't throw the ball.

Also, it was only a matter of time before Journell was going to bite us in the ass. I just seriously can't believe that these are our two best options.

Logan had a bad day. He has managed to shine on some drives, though, so I guess he gets a mulligan. Journell, on the other hand, isn't getting his job done, and his job is a pretty well-defined one. What happened to Brooks Abbott? Given Journell's history, I would have tried to hang on to that guy.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logan had a bad day. He has managed to shine on some drives, though, so I guess he gets a mulligan. Journell, on the other hand, isn't getting his job done, and his job is a pretty well-defined one. What happened to Brooks Abbott? Given Journell's history, I would have tried to hang on to that guy.

Glad Branthover and Journell are on scholarship. :L

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe Abbott transferred.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Logan's 'bad days' are becoming much more common than his good ones. I'm not as mad at the INTs as I am at plays where he had wide open receivers and just didn't get the ball out of his hands. He still makes Sophomore mistakes out there and is a 5th year SR. You cannot be turning the ball over in the endzone.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted LT benched for that game because I felt it was clear to almost everyone he just didn't have it that game. For whatever reason, he looked really uncomfortable back there. I was actually a bit surprised considering how well he had played prior to this. I felt like it would have been reasonable to sit LT, play Leal, and see what happens. Then after the game Beamer can just simply say something like "LT is our starter but I felt like we needed to make a move in this specific situation. But going forward LT is still our guy and he knows what he has to do" and then answer no more questions about it. I don't know but that's just how I would do it. I've seen other coaches do it and its ok but I guess Beamer has bad memories of juggling Glennon/Ike and Glennon/Tyrod.

As for the kicker, if we cannot find someone else (I can't believe this personally but whatever) then new rules need to be put in place. And the rule is if its beyond 30 yards, go for it on 4th down or coffin corner punt. If its under 30 yards, let Journell kick unless we're within the 5 yard line then go for it. He's just not worth it.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "coaches know best" logic fails to deliver when you remember this is the same Frank Beamer that kept Stiney and Newsome in their jobs for years even though everyone in the nation could see they were in over their heads. Not calling you out specifically, but I see this stuff a lot in comments and such. No, coaches don't know best all the time. And its a known fact that Beamer is fiercely loyal to a fault. So it is what it is.

If Loeffler wanted LT pulled for Leal, I seriously doubt Beamer would have stopped him.

-I'm already seeing LT apologists, people touting how many yards he produced, etc. Just stop. He stunk.Yeah, he moved the ball but he made some downright dreadful reads both in passing and running (thought he kept it too much on a few plays). I just got done talking to a friend who was at the game and he said WRs were open but LT couldn't find them. He played poorly. I don't get why people just can't say it. They always want to put positives on things when sometimes a kick in the ass reality check is what's needed. There's more to being a successful QB than putting up yards. In crucial situations, he made very poor decisions and that's what separates the good QBs from the rest. It's something we've seen out of him throughout most of his career. He can make all the throws, but yet he can't make all the throws. By that I mean he's physically capable of doing it, but mentally in the heat of competition he fails to deliver consistently. There are lots of QBs like him and its what will keep him from being a successful NFL QB (but why he's a prospect).Really he is no different than Sean Glennon. Glennon put up nice stat lines too. But what plagued Glennon was he had an incredible knack for making mind numbing turnovers at the worst possible times. LT had himself a Glennon game today. Simple as that.

Don't confuse me with an LT apologist, though. You're right, above. LT just isn't that good. I mean, he can be great, and sometimes he is, but too much of the time he's bad. You have to be more consistent than this to succeed at QB. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see him making it in the NFL.

I'm not sure I agree with the coaches decision not to pull LT for Leal, either, but they are privy to a lot more information than I am, know a lot more about the game, have a much better sense of what the repercussions of such a decision will be long term... I'll question them, sure, but I'm not going to come out and unequivocally say that they were wrong. In the end, as much as I may question them, I'm also glad they're making the decisions and not me.

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the banner - we never changed it for 2013! Might as well keep it for now and hopefully we can change it for 2014.

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Loeffler wanted LT pulled for Leal, I seriously doubt Beamer would have stopped him.

Don't confuse me with an LT apologist, though. You're right, above. LT just isn't that good. I mean, he can be great, and sometimes he is, but too much of the time he's bad. You have to be more consistent than this to succeed at QB. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see him making it in the NFL.

I'm not sure I agree with the coaches decision not to pull LT for Leal, either, but they are privy to a lot more information than I am, know a lot more about the game, have a much better sense of what the repercussions of such a decision will be long term... I'll question them, sure, but I'm not going to come out and unequivocally say that they were wrong. In the end, as much as I may question them, I'm also glad they're making the decisions and not me.

We (meaning VT fans but also encompasses any cfb enthusiast watching VT play) has known since 2006 that changes need to be made at OL and OC. Beamer is loyal to a massive fault. Because changes were slow to occur we are where we are right now with a crappy offense. Crappy offense meaning these kids have to unlearn what they have been taught the last few years. The biggest offenders making mistakes on "O" appear to be the veterans. So no offense to the kids - the seniors are having to retool and learn all over again.

So no, I don't think we should be quick to give free passes when it comes to making changes on the team -- especially when loyaly may be involved.

Last edited by a moderator: