• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 8 vs Colts

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming off one of the more bizarre turnarounds I've ever seen in a football game the Steelers now face possibly the best team on the schedule to date...the Colts. Not too spend too much time on the game Sunday, but I did want to note that we did have some new blood in the game...McCain has been playing but not that much, Tuitt still didn't get the snap count I thought he might, but Bryant did and he made an impact greater than J. Brown has collectively thru 6 games. McCullers got some snaps and all indication was he did well...I hope we see more of him this week.

Whose hurting? Shazier is reported to play, but there are some thinking or saying he still has a slight limp. I did not see him running prior to the game, but if true, if might be wise to give him another week of rehab....Shark...same thing...I have not heard about McLendon shoulder progress but maybe Face will have some details there and overall. We do know that Gilbert suffered a concussion and will have to clear medical protocol to play so he's iffy as well. For the Colts I understand Reggie Wayne will miss this game.

Vegas has IND as a 1.5 pt favorite and scanning the internet the last day or so, many feel the Colts are at another level from the Steelers. Well...I'm not one of them thinking that way. Are they better than PIT?...imo, yes, certainly on paper they are. I watched the DEN game and the BAL game, and I peeked in on the CIN game before it got out of control. On the eye test...I saw obviously a very good QB, Hilton is about even maybe a notch below our own AB, but a dangerous player. Two good TEs, 2 solid RBs and you have to keep an eye on Luck...very athletic and will take off and run if space if left open.

On DEF, they've really been impressive, but those were home games. On the road they have given up 31,17,28...only JAX (one of the worse OFC teams in the league) hasn't scored at least 20 on them away from home.

They play the same base 3-4 DEF, Chapman was not highly touted coming out of Bama, but he's developed into a solid NT Redding is a serious threat to Ben, but they bring most of the heat via the blitz (especially the LBs) while neither CB is noted to be a standout, both starters are having good seasons with 2 picks each so far.

Keys to the game imo...Must keep their LBs off balance and respecting the run. I think the Steelers can do that with Bell and Blount. I like their chances to move the ball and score 24 to 30 points. Lebeau stays aggressive, McCain won't give the 10 yd cushion Allen does, keep Mitchell over the top of Hilton and maybe they can keep IND below 24.

Outlook...I'm going against the odds. I think we see back to back wins for the 1st time this season.

28-24 Steelers

What say you?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks dangerous, but the fact that this is a home game will make it interesting.

O… I would like to see Ben & his receivers get into a better rhythm. We've seen sparks, but outside of AB there isn't much consistency. We know Bell & Blount are going to do their thing like always. I've said this a few times now, but I would really like to see Heath get more involved. They kept him in the box to help block last week, but I don't think they will need to do that as much this week. I think if Ben can exploit the field between the hashes (Moore & Miller) then it will suck those safeties down and free up more big plays down the sidelines. Bell has already done a great job of that, but the more help there the better. I am praying to the football gods that Gilbert passes all protocols, because I certainly hope that we don't have to endure an entire game of Adams at RT. I also wonder if they would consider activating Villanueva if Gilbert can't go. Because outside of Adams the only backup OT would be sliding Pouncey outside and putting Wallace at C. Some sort of shuffling would have to be done if either Beachum or Adams got hurt.

D… Loved the aggressive calls that Lebeau was making during the Texans game. It helps when your D-line & OLB's are providing more pressure! Let's hope they can keep the pedal down for 4 quarters. There is little to no room for error in this game if they want to win this game. But like ATL said, I'm not as scared of their playmakers, just Andrew Luck. I'd love to see more Tuitt & McCullers as well. They played very well last week. Tuitt almost had 2 sacks, and McCullers controlled the point of attack like a true anchor. If they can get the same play from Worilds & Shazier/Spence while Timmons does his usual, then I think this D can keep the Colts below 20 points.

Injuries… Shazier & Thomas were both still limited in practice today (Wed). Not a good sign, but we will have to wait and see if either can practice fully tomorrow or Friday. McLendon was not able to practice today. Probably still a week or 2 from him coming back. Gilbert passed all of his conc. protocols today, so he may be able to practice in a limited fashion tomorrow if he clears his tests again. He's on track to play Sunday, so let's hope he doesn't suffer any setbacks. Haven't heard a peep about JJ's progress, nor has a timetable been set for Taylor.

Summary… I still gotta see this team put together some sort of consistency on BOTH sides of the ball. We saw some of that come into focus last week, but I'm still not confident, especially against a tougher opponent. But as history shows, the Steelers have that aptitude to always play to their opponents' level, whether that be low or high lol…. So at least they have that… I like their chances, but I'm going to go with:
IND 27 - PIT 24

Let's hope that I'm wrong!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realistic result Face......I'm going homer here.

OFC has to do well enough on 1st & 2nd down to keep playaction in play on 3rd down somehow...if those LBs are able to tee off, then it really won't matter if Adams or Gilbert is there...Ben will go down 3 or 4 times in this game.

Haley...Miller is mostly effective vs zone these days so if they man up on him I don't expect many targets his way...but, why don't we see Wheaton on the crossing/pick patterns that DEN & NE run so often with good success. Why can't he get Archer in space on a LB like we see Sproles both in PHI & NO? Why not give the kid a whole series to get acclimated to the game, some split back time with Will Johnson? Why do they run it 80-90% of the time out of the two TE set?

Why, why why? lol

JJ...I haven't either but he's not eligible to return until the bye week I think...most likely week 13 vs NO is he's indeed on the mend to return this season...hammys can be so tricky that no sense rushing Thomas back and more than a couple people are saying Shazier still has a limp so I would sit them both again.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realistic result Face......I'm going homer here.

OFC has to do well enough on 1st & 2nd down to keep playaction in play on 3rd down somehow...if those LBs are able to tee off, then it really won't matter if Adams or Gilbert is there...Ben will go down 3 or 4 times in this game.

Haley...Miller is mostly effective vs zone these days so if they man up on him I don't expect many targets his way...but, why don't we see Wheaton on the crossing/pick patterns that DEN & NE run so often with good success. Why can't he get Archer in space on a LB like we see Sproles both in PHI & NO? Why not give the kid a whole series to get acclimated to the game, some split back time with Will Johnson? Why do they run it 80-90% of the time out of the two TE set?

Why, why why? lol

JJ...I haven't either but he's not eligible to return until the bye week I think...most likely week 13 vs NO is he's indeed on the mend to return this season...hammys can be so tricky that no sense rushing Thomas back and more than a couple people are saying Shazier still has a limp so I would sit them both again.

Because… Haley, haley haley lol

Yea I agree that there isn't much of a need to rush either Shazier or Thomas back. Spence & V-Williams can hold down the spot for Shazier and Thomas' ST play has been more than filled by Ventrone. I think the run defense would benefit from Shazier's return, but not by much. The entire defense is playing better so they should take their time and return to full health.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injury Update…

Shazier practiced fully today… Good news!

Thomas still limited participant.

Taylor returned in limited fashion. Doctors cleared him to wear a brace on his forearm during practice but no contact.

McLendon DNP…

Gilbert DNP… Likely a precaution because I heard everything went well for him today, and he could have practiced. Haven't found any validity to that yet, but all signs point towards his return to action on Sunday.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, can't see a logical reason to take the Steelers here. Steelers have been traditionally terrible in the 4PM timeslot, the opposite of the Monday/Sunday night in which they are historically good.

Any given Sunday notwithstanding, the Colts are just flat better in almost every facet of the game.

Colts 27, Steelers 17

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, can't see a logical reason to take the Steelers here. Steelers have been traditionally terrible in the 4PM timeslot, the opposite of the Monday/Sunday night in which they are historically good.

Any given Sunday notwithstanding, the Colts are just flat better in almost every facet of the game.

Colts 27, Steelers 17

I can certainly see your point with the inconsistent play of the Steelers, but I just don't see the Colts as being heads and shoulders above them talent wise...while I wouldn't be surprised if they lost, but I would be surprised if the margin is 27-17 because IND has been giving up a lot more points on the road (sans JAX).

It will take a CAR game type effort on both sides of the ball, but it's time these guys delivered 2 Ws in a row.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can certainly see your point with the inconsistent play of the Steelers, but I just don't see the Colts as being heads and shoulders above them talent wise...while I wouldn't be surprised if they lost, but I would be surprised if the margin is 27-17 because IND has been giving up a lot more points on the road (sans JAX).

It will take a CAR game type effort on both sides of the ball, but it's time these guys delivered 2 Ws in a row.

Are we talking 'talent' as in abilities, or 'talent' as in production. There is a difference between having skills, and being able to effectively use those skills to produce positive results on the field. Then add in the part of the coaching staff being able to implement those skills effectively in a scheme. Stating the obvious I know.

As for talent as in raw abilities, I agree don't see much of a difference. As for talent in being able to produce positive results on the field, I'd take the Colts easily.

Fair point about the points on the road to Indy's opponents. But still we know this is an up and down offense from the Steelers, they only scored 10 on a weak Cleveland defense a few weeks ago. And eventhough they scored a decent number of points last week, they have shown no ability to score on long drives consistently.

I don't have much hope that the defense can pressure Luck, or pick him off. Only saving grace could be that Bradshaw and TRich have fumbled 3 times between them this year already, with Bradshaw having a history as a fumbler.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we talking 'talent' as in abilities, or 'talent' as in production. There is a difference between having skills, and being able to effectively use those skills to produce positive results on the field. Then add in the part of the coaching staff being able to implement those skills effectively in a scheme. Stating the obvious I know.

As for talent as in raw abilities, I agree don't see much of a difference. As for talent in being able to produce positive results on the field, I'd take the Colts easily.

Fair point about the points on the road to Indy's opponents. But still we know this is an up and down offense from the Steelers, they only scored 10 on a weak Cleveland defense a few weeks ago. And eventhough they scored a decent number of points last week, they have shown no ability to score on long drives consistently.

I don't have much hope that the defense can pressure Luck, or pick him off. Only saving grace could be that Bradshaw and TRich have fumbled 3 times between them this year already, with Bradshaw having a history as a fumbler.

Talent...it's pretty obvious they've gotten more production out of the players they have compared to the Steelers. Every team has good players. What I mean there is IND doesn't have many standout guys that you must game plan for aside from Luck & Hilton.

We'll see how it plays out, but if they were facing a team like DEN with so many pro bowl caliber weapons...I could see a much wider margin...but if the DEF is aggressive and the OFC executes on 1st down somewhat consistently this should be a pretty close game.

They need to seriously make changes in the staff if the Colts go in there and blow them out.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blount replaces Archer on punt returns........ Make a difference????

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two turnovers made the score closer than the game really was...total domination!

OFC...aggressive all night...gustsy call on 4th and 6" but loved going for the knockout blow there.

DEF...aggressive all night...only 2 official sacks recorded, but I Luck is going to spend a few more minutes than normal in the soaker today....definitely more than 7 QB hits in that game.

Allen...the 1st TD was on a good dbl move...Troy was late getting there...it happens, (note Timmons getting burnt twice) shake it off, stay aggressive...the TD to Moncrief was timid play imo...remained me a lot of Gay's 1st stint in PIT...in position, but couldn't make a play on the ball. I think he was yanked for Blake who came thru with a big turnover. I hope the kid can turn it around and realize when that ball is in the air he has just as much right to it as the WR...skills are there, needs some dog in him.

This game ball ball should go to the OL Ben took one big hit on a silly roll out...and the DEF.

Great effort...I knew IND would not be that stingy with the points on the road, but 51!!! Thank you!

Final of 3 in a row at home stretch next week...pay back the Ravens and this season will take on a whole new feeling. Pressure is still on Tomlin...keep it rollin!!!

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well didn't see that one coming.....holy crap.

Unreal that Ben is the only QB to ever throw for 500 twice in his career was blown away by that stat.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well didn't see that one coming.....holy crap.

Unreal that Ben is the only QB to ever throw for 500 twice in his career was blown away by that stat.

Even though I wouldn't have been surprised if they lost because of the inconsistency, but I was expecting a win...typical case of a team's record and stats being better than the team really is.

Gotta get C. Allen out of this funk somehow though...too much loot to waste on his new deal. More than Ben's stats I was really pleased to him connecting with Wheaton...that kid HAD to be feeling a WHOLE lot better after that game and Bryant is slowly but surely moving up the ranks...had one drop, but otherwise played an excellent game.

And still yet to get Archer unleashed so there is more work to do...this OFC obviously is not going to look this good every week, but the potential has been so much more than what we've seen from week to week that I think you see why a lot of people were thinking they needed to carry the DEF this year.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, obviously they aren't going to score 50 a week, but it seemed like they were ok with playing a shootout with Indy. They were aggressive on both sides of the ball, and it paid off.

Gotta hand it to Luck though, he was getting killed, and he just kept on standing in there and delivering great throws.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think IND's 3Q made Haley realize that he had to keep the pedal to metal, and the OL was handling their front 7...pretty much made their LB blitzes worthless.

Luck...yes, he's a once every 10-15 yr draft pick.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think IND's 3Q made Haley realize that he had to keep the pedal to metal, and the OL was handling their front 7...pretty much made their LB blitzes worthless.

Luck...yes, he's a once every 10-15 yr draft pick.

Too bad for Luck he ran into a once every 30-35 yr draft pick who was on fire Sunday.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was really concerned about this game coming into it. Wow. Still sweat a little bit. Wish they would of went for it instead of the pooch punt but that was my only issue on offense. The offense played some amazing football yesterday. Ben and Antonio were unreal. Todd Haley had a good day. The play-calling seemed to have more of a purpose.
The defense hung in there. I was very happy with their performance. They really battered Andrew Luck. Those grass stains wont be coming out of his jersey anytime soon. My only concern was Cortez Allen. Is that guy really this awful?
Anyway, great win and it's time to make it count by beating Baltimore.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, congratulations to Ben for winning his 100th game in his 150th career start. Awesome!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on the pooch...that's a once a year play, and they had already used it once...go for it or punt.

Allen...physically I think he has all the tools and has played a lot better...now, idk what it is...the biggest thing I see is he's not trying to make a play on the ball...seems like he's trying to defend the man and not seeing the ball until it's already on him...if then.

Biggest point...you're right, gotta finish the drill and beat BAL for this game to have much bearing on the season.