• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 5: 49ers at Giants

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, someone should've been close to Boldin there so that he could pitch it. Chucking it deep and hoping for a penalty was an option, too. Either way we had an extremely low chance of success, so I'm not upset about that last play.
Me neither. The defense had already lost the game by laying down for the Giants in the last minute.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great TD toss to Celek.

VD has disappeared the last few years.

And I am not sure why Bush is even around. He can't get his uniform on without hurting himself.

I was intrigued that when the 9ers blitzed, Manning often found a receiver in the middle of the field just a few yards downfield, and they plays went for a bunch of yards. Why can't the 9ers do that sort of play? And the early plays of tossing it quickly to the outside for WR screens, we did that twice early, and then went back to the run against the best run defense in the league. :noidea:

I was heartened a little by Kaep's throws to Boldin, lofting them up there and letting Boldin go get the pass. I am puzzled by Smith is such a non-factor. Wasn't he brought in to catch passes? He was targeted only twice today.

Yep, more so because it was between the numbers. That is rare for Kaep in the red zone.

The 49ers can't do the short stuff well because Kaep can't throw it. He's likely to throw too low, hit the ground, or throw too hard. It isn't just throwing short, but the timing of it. Eli throws his receivers open, and he'll even throw into coverage. If you throw it at the right time, receivers can make a play and get RAC's. Vereen did a lot of damage with RAC, even with Tartt on him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A bright spot is that Kap threw a TD in the red zone in the middle of the end zone. I read on this board that he hasn't done much of that. The TD was to Celek. Are we better off with Celek in the red zone than Vernon?

IMO yes. Davis is better between the 20's, because of his straight line speed to beat LB's. But his speed is negated in the red zone, he doesn't have route running skills.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Ryan had a really good analysis of the game on KNBR today.

All KNBR Podcasts | KNBR-AM

Can't remember it all. He said 49er coverages were too soft. He also said the corners should have played more press coverage to throw the timing of the routes off. For Manning, it was like a 7 on 7 drill yesterday.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Ryan had a really good analysis of the game on KNBR today.

All KNBR Podcasts | KNBR-AM

Can't remember it all. He said 49er coverages were too soft. He also said the corners should have played more press coverage to throw the timing of the routes off. For Manning, it was like a 7 on 7 drill yesterday.
Same old 49ers. Its always been that way with them; even when they were good. The Corner position has always been an issue with them except for the one year they had Deon Sanders and Eric Davis back there. they were really dominant with those two guys.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers film review: Defense had right calls, bad execution late in game

i stand corrected - partially - on Bowman being on the field for that last drive. He wasn't on the field when that drive started, Tartt was. Bowman was used when the Giants got to the 12 yard line. So defensively Tartt made sense on Vereen, just that 'Manning to Vereen' was too accurate and timely.

Still feel Bowman shouldn't have gone in whenever he did. The Giants weren't a threat to run at any point in that drive.

Note the 2nd paragraph on Harold, he is too weak to get past the OT. Problem is, he can only gain so much strength at this point. He'll gain more effectiveness with better technique.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same old 49ers. Its always been that way with them; even when they were good. The Corner position has always been an issue with them except for the one year they had Deon Sanders and Eric Davis back there. they were really dominant with those two guys.

But so far this year it seems to especially be an issue.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But so far this year it seems to especially be an issue.
I think that's because the front seven is no longer the force it used to be. There's not a single player of significance in the entire front seven now except for Bowman and he's not himself yet. Who knows if he ever will be.

I don't think the average football fan could name ou one player on the Niner front seven except for Bowman.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's because the front seven is no longer the force it used to be. There's not a single player of significance in the entire front seven now except for Bowman and he's not himself yet. Who knows if he ever will be.

I don't think the average football fan could name ou one player on the Niner front seven except for Bowman.

Lynch is a beast. He could be a dominant player in the league.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch is a beast. He could be a dominant player in the league.
But was completely shut down by the Giants because he had no help. He seems to do the exact same outside bull rush every play and they pushed him past Manning all night long..

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was not complete shut down at all. He rushed Eli a lot and was the only reason we had any sort of pressure. I do agree with you to an extent though: no way his full potential is realized without some help. He will just be double teamed from here on out. No one else is that good.