• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 17: Steelers @ Seahawks Thread

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are just not going to go anywhere with Pete running the show.
I get it. Being consistent fringe playoff team is not very satisfying. Are we ready for being basement dwellers again? This team is going to have to get bad before it can get a chance to get good again( most likely I think) and the "chance" to get good again relies on hiring the right staff AND having a good bit of luck with health, hitting in the draft, getting the lucky bounces. As we have experienced prior to Carroll, finding the right staff is hard. Most hires turn out to be duds who can only dream of being a fringe play off team. One way or another we will have a post Carroll era soon, either this off season or the next. I'm not looking forward to it, but it is unavoidable. So if it happens this off season, it happens.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Metcalf, Lockett, Fant, Parkinson, and JSN are good players. On D, Mafe, Williams, Woolen, and Spoon are good players. They would all have positive trade value. Not saying we should trade them though.

To be honest, teams can turn around very quickly with only small changes to coaching or personnel, in both directions. The Niners are the most talented team in the league but it's not like all 22 starters are Pro Bowlers. Some of them are straight up league average.
they almost all have caveats, except metcalf.

fant and parkinson are underutilized badly (both potentially walk too), JSN is still a rookie and has a lot to prove yet.

on defense, mafe is decent but has disappeared lately. williams is old, woolen has had a disappointing year overall and again spoon is a rookie and has missed several games.

I think they should let all the FAs walk, collect whatever comp picks they can and trade away players that could get top value, which means unfortunately metcalf. then, cut all the old and overpaid players. the team needs to be deconstructed entirely and rebuilt from the ground up.

cut ties with the current FO and coaching staff and wash their hands of the bad trades. bring in harbaugh or an elite offensive mind and a DC that will have complete control of the defense.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it. Being consistent fringe playoff team is not very satisfying. Are we ready for being basement dwellers again? This team is going to have to get bad before it can get a chance to get good again( most likely I think) and the "chance" to get good again relies on hiring the right staff AND having a good bit of luck with health, hitting in the draft, getting the lucky bounces. As we have experienced prior to Carroll, finding the right staff is hard. Most hires turn out to be duds who can only dream of being a fringe play off team. One way or another we will have a post Carroll era soon, either this off season or the next. I'm not looking forward to it, but it is unavoidable. So if it happens this off season, it happens.
I have been vocal about it being time to move on from Pete since basically we traded Russ. But I'm also very realistic about what that means. More likely than not, the next coach will not be successful for the team. This is especially true if we move on from John as well, which will most likely happen. To my knowledge Jodie doesn't have any football people she can rely on. So I'm not confident that she will make a good hire.

But we are going to move on from Pete one way or the other in the next couple of years. And if the team, as is, can't succeed in the playoffs, we might as well move on to the phase now.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unfortunately it may take new ownership to change anything, jody seems to be the most passive owner in nfl history.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they almost all have caveats, except metcalf.

fant and parkinson are underutilized badly (both potentially walk too), JSN is still a rookie and has a lot to prove yet.

on defense, mafe is decent but has disappeared lately. williams is old, woolen has had a disappointing year overall and again spoon is a rookie and has missed several games.

I think they should let all the FAs walk, collect whatever comp picks they can and trade away players that could get top value, which means unfortunately metcalf. then, cut all the old and overpaid players. the team needs to be deconstructed entirely and rebuilt from the ground up.

cut ties with the current FO and coaching staff and wash their hands of the bad trades. bring in harbaugh or an elite offensive mind and a DC that will have complete control of the defense.

I would like us to bring back Williams, Brooks, Parkinson, and Lewis. But I won't be super upset if they all walk.

If we get a new coaching regime, then anything could happen withe personnel. I imagine that Tyler will restructured, Dissly will either restructure or get cut. Diggs most likely gets cut. As does Adams. As does Eskridge. That would free up about 35 million or so.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unfortunately it may take new ownership to change anything, jody seems to be the most passive owner in nfl history.

Jody is both required to sell the team but unable to sell the team after May of 2024.

It's not an ideal situation.

Hopefully she sees that whatever Pete promised her 2 years ago, isn't actually happening. IMO, she isn't likely to act unless the fans really turn on Pete. Dunno if that has happened yet.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A owner who lets football people run the football team is ideal and she does just that.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, fellas. It's kinda looking like see you next year. This defense just doesn't compete and it's time for a major change. I honestly won't be surprised if Zona copies and pastes this exact same formula. We are right back to where we were last year when teams shoved the ball down our gullets. Didn't like Pete's use of the challenge flag that cost us a T.O. and wish DK could have pulled in that throw late but we had no answer on the other side of the ball. I think a lot of people just assumed we would win this thing but we look at QBs way too much and don't pay attention to the meat and potatoes of a team. Pittsburgh dominated the trenches and kicked our ass. Honestly, I'm surprised we even kept it close and scored 23 points vs these guys.
Pete cut a lot of the guys on the DL/LB last year because of the poor run defense... Basically made them the scapegoats... Now who's going to be the scapegoat is the question...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A owner who lets football people run the football team is ideal and she does just that.

I don't think she's been a bad owner. But she's not committed to it since she is required to sell the team.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like us to bring back Williams, Brooks, Parkinson, and Lewis. But I won't be super upset if they all walk.

If we get a new coaching regime, then anything could happen withe personnel. I imagine that Tyler will restructured, Dissly will either restructure or get cut. Diggs most likely gets cut. As does Adams. As does Eskridge. That would free up about 35 million or so.
Same here... I feel that Willliams has played very well for us... He didn't look, "Old" to me at all...

I'm good with Dissly getting cut... Diggs, Adams definitely need to get cut as well... Same with Evan Brown if we can... Tired of these patchwork centers we keep trying to bandaid this OL with...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I didn't mind that call. The game was over if Pittsburgh got one 1st down. Given we hadn't stopped them at all that day, relying on the defense to stop them was folly.

As it turned out the defense did fail to stop them.
Yeah, I thought it was really dumb at the time, but maybe Pete had a moment of clarity and admitted to himself that his defense had less chance to stop them than the small probability of a successful onside kick.

Derrick Henry has shown clear signs of being washed this season, but last week we made him look like he was still in his prime. Yesterday was Najee Harris' 5th 100 yard day of his entire career. He's been decidedly mediocre this year but looked like a pro bowler yesterday.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

She is hands off and should be. All owners should be unless they know how to run a club. Pete needs to stop with his over the top loyalty to players and coaches. Remove the trash and stop coddling players that suck. REMOVE THE FAT! Praising them will not turn a sub par player into a pro bowler. That shit might have worked in college but it doesn't work in the NFL.

Hurtt should never have been hired as the DC and a team that had been building a 4-3 defense through the draft for years shouldn't have been flipped to a 3-4.

Quinn was out there and they should have jumped on the opportunity to sign him. No hesitation.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but when the current football people are not making the right choices and havent been for going on 10 years, its time to step in and bring in some new football people.

paul was a great owner because he did that multiple times. he fired holmgren as GM and he moved on from mora after one year. I dont know that, had he lived, he would be sitting through this right now and not lifting a finger.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basement dwellers is what we need to get a QBoF. Look at Houston's turnaround in 1 year. It can be done, but need a fresh coaching staff.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but when the current football people are not making the right choices and havent been for going on 10 years, its time to step in and bring in some new football people.

paul was a great owner because he did that multiple times. he fired holmgren as GM and he moved on from mora after one year. I dont know that, had he lived, he would be sitting through this right now and not lifting a finger.
The only choice she made was to carry on with Pete who been working for Paul for 8 years.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basement dwellers is what we need to get a QBoF. Look at Houston's turnaround in 1 year. It can be done, but need a fresh coaching staff.
Houston was lucky the team with the #1 didn't take Stroud. Luck plays it part in all aspects of success in the NFL.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Problem is the relationship Pete and Paul had plus winning a SB and getting back to another. Sometimes owners get comfy with what they have until all is lost.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston was lucky the team with the #1 didn't take Stroud. Luck plays it part in all aspects of success in the NFL.
Luck or no luck, the coaching staff is key to their turnaround.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck or no luck, the coaching staff is key to their turnaround.
The Texans did a lot of things right last off season. Having Stroud fall to them at 2 was nice and obviously worked out but they also hired the right coach and the move they made at the draft to double down with Will Anderson was huge. They still have a lot of building to do but they nailed it last year. Just need to build on this year's success.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Texans did a lot of things right last off season. Having Stroud fall to them at 2 was nice and obviously worked out but they also hired the right coach and the move they made at the draft to double down with Will Anderson was huge. They still have a lot of building to do but they nailed it last year. Just need to build on this year's success.
They're about 2yrs away.