• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 15 vs CIN

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to back losses have put any real hops of a playoff appearance off the tracks...last week was another example of what certain talking heads have said for the last 3 years...too old...A heads up...I'm posting a thread later on a the state of the team and the rebuild.

Week 15...we have a top 10 draft pick position right now...does it make sense to play Clark?...there's talk of Keisel coming back this week...why? you got a $4.9 mil parting gift, it's like him to want to earn his last 3 game checks...sit down Brett, you earned it! Can we see more of Wheaton? Mathematically alive my ass!! Play the young guys!

I have no real content for this game...PIT doesn't like losing in DIV...I expect a good effort from the OFC...they have stepped up their game...I like the matchup vs the back 4 in CIN, patch work OL I think will do okay @ home...boils to down to pass rush...if PIT gets heat on Dalton they will win a close game 24-20...if they don't...too many weapons in CIN, they will win by 7+

What say you?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to back losses have put any real hops of a playoff appearance off the tracks...last week was another example of what certain talking heads have said for the last 3 years...too old...A heads up...I'm posting a thread later on a the state of the team and the rebuild.

Week 15...we have a top 10 draft pick position right now...does it make sense to play Clark?...there's talk of Keisel coming back this week...why? you got a $4.9 mil parting gift, it's like him to want to earn his last 3 game checks...sit down Brett, you earned it! Can we see more of Wheaton? Mathematically alive my ass!! Play the young guys!

I have no real content for this game...PIT doesn't like losing in DIV...I expect a good effort from the OFC...they have stepped up their game...I like the matchup vs the back 4 in CIN, patch work OL I think will do okay @ home...boils to down to pass rush...if PIT gets heat on Dalton they will win a close game 24-20...if they don't...too many weapons in CIN, they will win by 7+

What say you?

1. Primetime game where Cincinnati doesn't usually play well.
2. Big division rival who are pissed, and in my opinion have nothing to lose like Cincinnati does playing for that #2 seed.
3. Could be big elements in Pittsburgh on Sunday night, and with Dalton, the better the conditions, the better he is typically. Elements could cause issues.
4. Pressure could be on. NE play in MIA during the afternoon on Sunday, and with Gronk going down and Miami playing at home, MIA could win that game and put the Bengals inline for that #2 seed if they beat PITT. That is a lot of pressure before the game starts. It would be better if this was at the same time to keep them from dealing with the stress of having to win.

Lots and lots of potential road blocks for Cincinnati to go into Pitt and win this game. I don't like our chances personally, but....on the other hand, depending on which Dalton shows up, and how well Kirkpatrick is able to elevate his game, if both play at least average, I think Cincinnati can win this game, especially up front against Pitts OLINE. One of our strengths is our run defense, and with a patchwork OL, and how hard it will be to run against us, it could make the offense one dimensional, which could lead to sacks and potentially more TO's for the Cincinnati defense.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a DIV rival...no one likes getting swept...the final play of the last game is enough to show those guys are still playing for Tomlin so I expect a good game...the game has to be played in front of Timmons for PIT to win...you get past him...all hell breaks loose back there.

I know a lot is made of the bye, (1 & 2 seeds) but I don't know that I really like it...the 3 and 4 spots you play right away and still home...that week off doesn't always pan out.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a DIV rival...no one likes getting swept...the final play of the last game is enough to show those guys are still playing for Tomlin so I expect a good game...the game has to be played in front of Timmons for PIT to win...you get past him...all hell breaks loose back there.

I know a lot is made of the bye, (1 & 2 seeds) but I don't know that I really like it...the 3 and 4 spots you play right away and still home...that week off doesn't always pan out.

With this team, I think it may play to the advantage. A lot of injured players this year, and an extra week of rest before finishing the rest of the season, hopefully all the way, can really help. They need that rest, and to start at home where they are undefeated to begin the playoffs can be a big momentum builder for a young team struggling to get that 1st playoff win in decades.

Sweeping Pitt is never easy eitehr, so that is another aspect that plays in Pittsburgh's favor.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With this team, I think it may play to the advantage. A lot of injured players this year, and an extra week of rest before finishing the rest of the season, hopefully all the way, can really help. They need that rest, and to start at home where they are undefeated to begin the playoffs can be a big momentum builder for a young team struggling to get that 1st playoff win in decades.

Sweeping Pitt is never easy eitehr, so that is another aspect that plays in Pittsburgh's favor.

I think you always want the bye...2 gms vs 3, absolutely...my point is the team that played the week before and won already have the playoff gitters knocked off...whereas as the team coming off the week of preparation probably is physically in better shape, but I think more pressure is on them.

This year...I do think it's wide open...Somehow I think NE will stay in the #2 spot, but without Gronk, they're not the same in the RZ, CLE just showed they can be beat...It's tough to win in DEN, but if the weather negates PM and you can run the ball, DEN DEF is not stellar...should be fun to watch.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few things:

The Cincy OL is not patchwork. They are very, very good, and improve with Whit at guard. Collins is a really, really good young tackle. He's shut down top pass-rushers for several years now when filling in. Whit instantly upgrades the guard position, and it really does put the best 4 guys on both sides of the center, especially with Zeitler coming back this week.

Cincy did beat Pitt last year when Pitt was much closer to being in the playoffs than they are now. What does that mean? Nothing...LOL

I expect a very good game from the Steelers. However, the Bengals have become a much better running team the past few weeks really commiting to it. The steelers defense hasn't stopped the run well...and if Cincy can do that, then it will take away the pressure on Dalton, and keep Ben off the field. To me, this will be the key to the game for Cincinnati.

On a total side note: Who makes the calls on personnel for Pitt? I know Tomlin has a say in some contracts and such, but ultimately, who decides to re-sign a guy, etc...? I know Pitt has a GM, and I know that Tomlin has input, but when the Steelers went out of character a few years ago to re-sign a lot of aging veterans (instead of following their traditional path of releasing them) who makes that call? I was talking to my buddy last night who's a die-hard Steelers fan and he blames it all 100% on Tomlin. Everything. From coaching to draft, to re-signing the F/A's that screwed them over in the cap over the past few years...everythign. I said, there's no way that it was all on him. I know the coach will always get the blame when they are losing (and credit when they are winning), but with personnel decisions, I can't believe that with a GM and as good of an organization that the Steelers have had that only one person makes a call like that.

???

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few things:

The Cincy OL is not patchwork. They are very, very good, and improve with Whit at guard. Collins is a really, really good young tackle. He's shut down top pass-rushers for several years now when filling in. Whit instantly upgrades the guard position, and it really does put the best 4 guys on both sides of the center, especially with Zeitler coming back this week.

Cincy did beat Pitt last year when Pitt was much closer to being in the playoffs than they are now. What does that mean? Nothing...LOL

I expect a very good game from the Steelers. However, the Bengals have become a much better running team the past few weeks really commiting to it. The steelers defense hasn't stopped the run well...and if Cincy can do that, then it will take away the pressure on Dalton, and keep Ben off the field. To me, this will be the key to the game for Cincinnati.

On a total side note: Who makes the calls on personnel for Pitt? I know Tomlin has a say in some contracts and such, but ultimately, who decides to re-sign a guy, etc...? I know Pitt has a GM, and I know that Tomlin has input, but when the Steelers went out of character a few years ago to re-sign a lot of aging veterans (instead of following their traditional path of releasing them) who makes that call? I was talking to my buddy last night who's a die-hard Steelers fan and he blames it all 100% on Tomlin. Everything. From coaching to draft, to re-signing the F/A's that screwed them over in the cap over the past few years...everythign. I said, there's no way that it was all on him. I know the coach will always get the blame when they are losing (and credit when they are winning), but with personnel decisions, I can't believe that with a GM and as good of an organization that the Steelers have had that only one person makes a call like that.

???

Observant...at least you don't skim like me...lol

Patchwork was in reference to the PIT OL. Whitworth is a good LT...imo the only great LT in the DIV is Joe Thomas, and your RT...eh...good OL...I would trade you for sure.

Steeler FO...1st off, I been rooting for the Steelers a long time like many of my Steeler friends...since the Noll era they've always had a GM...during the Cowher era...the 1st GM was Donahoe, and in '00 Kevin Colbert was hired along with Omar Khan...Khan is the contract negotiator/cap guy.

To my knowledge...the GM/scouting team handled all of the draft grunt work...basically identifying the pool of players that fit the scheme and needs of the team....then the HC and his coordinator evaluate those players and they establish a big board based on input from the staff. But on draft day, the show belongs to Colbert. A long winded yes, the HC is involved, but they don't actually make the picks.

After Cowher won the SB, he wanted the kind of personnel power other SB winning coaches such as Parcells, Holmgren and Shanahan, were getting...that didn't happen...and after the 8-8 season with Cowher's wife being ill, he basically said enough and retired.

Many people think had he been given the power he wanted he would not have retired...Idk that to be fact, but have heard many say this and the fact that's he's turned down other jobs that were not going to allow him full control makes me think there was some truth to it.

The point is to say that...Tomlin is not picking players...Colbert is taking heat as well, but the majority of the fans wouldn't know Kevin Colbert if he walked into their living room wearing a Steelers jacket.

Signings...When you look at the names of the players, Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, Brett Kesiel, Farrior, Troy P, Ward, Jame Harrison...and I'm leaving several off...most of these guys will go down as one of the best to ever play in PIT for certain and played in 3 SBs for a few of them....I think it was a top decision to try to squeeze one more...I don't think Colbert did that on his own.

I'm fine with Tomlin, but I'm not thinking he really needs to be feeling comfortable either.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few things:

???

The patchwork OL I believe he was talking about Pittsburgh, not ours mang. I am pretty sure anyways.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The patchwork OL I believe he was talking about Pittsburgh, not ours mang. I am pretty sure anyways.

Yes. I went back and re-read it. I see now where it looks like it was in reference to the Steelers OL and not the Bengals.

I was speed reading through it, and just from the wording it made me think, at first glance, that he was refering to the Cincy OL...

Which, I mean, to be fair, if all you read (and knew) was that the LT moved to RG, and the RG was out, and a bench guy was coming in to play LT...you WOULD think patchwork. Totally understandable.

Thanks for the low-down on the organization. My buddy who's a fan, just railed, and railed, and RAILED last night on Tomlin to the point where I was defending him (I took 2 showers when I got home! :yahoo: ).

I didn't think that he had that kind of power, and now that you mention Cower and the GM change, I do remember that, and I agree...Cower did want that, but I think ultimately his wife getting sick made him get out.

If nothing else, let's hope that we can play injury free and we can all root for Detroit to barn-stomp Baltimore this weekend as well!!! :suds:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. I went back and re-read it. I see now where it looks like it was in reference to the Steelers OL and not the Bengals.

I was speed reading through it, and just from the wording it made me think, at first glance, that he was refering to the Cincy OL...

Which, I mean, to be fair, if all you read (and knew) was that the LT moved to RG, and the RG was out, and a bench guy was coming in to play LT...you WOULD think patchwork. Totally understandable.

Thanks for the low-down on the organization. My buddy who's a fan, just railed, and railed, and RAILED last night on Tomlin to the point where I was defending him (I took 2 showers when I got home! :yahoo: ).

I didn't think that he had that kind of power, and now that you mention Cower and the GM change, I do remember that, and I agree...Cower did want that, but I think ultimately his wife getting sick made him get out.

If nothing else, let's hope that we can play injury free and we can all root for Detroit to barn-stomp Baltimore this weekend as well!!! :suds:

No problem...hey...after the last 2 seasons I can't blame your friend, par for the course as they...but power? Tomlin was one of the youngest HC in league history when he was hired...he didn't even bring his own staff, maybe a couple of position guys...lol....I'm thinking this past draft was probably the most involved he's been.

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

GO STEELERS!!!!! Let a real team represent the AFCN. A team like yours that can get it done and not go 1 and done in the playoffs. :laugh3:

Last edited by a moderator:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wk 15 vs CIN Recap

A win is a win, is a win...no one likes getting swept so on that alone it was a great win...still kicking too many fgs for my liking, but that's to be addressed in the offseason at this point.

Admittedly part of me wants to see a higher draft pick now that the playoffs are 99% against...but imo a tribute to Tomlin and staff the guys are giving it up for the coaches knowing they're pretty much out of it. I felt from the outset of the season that it would take about 5 or 6 games for the OL to be something decent...I never foresaw the roller coaster they have been on...a lot of holes to repair...but by and large thru all the turmoil and turnover, the OL has improved since the MIN loss.

On this game...imo the hit on the punter was a great hit in the era I grew up watching...today it was a little high...Garvin can expect a fine and he ain't making much...hopefully they will a collection plate for him...hell Woodley should just pay it!! He ain't doing much else.

The tackle on the 1 yd line by Allen was kind of an unlucky break...probably should've been called a safety and 2 pts vs spot on the 1 and giving up 7...but the DEF really controlled this one...I'm thinking Dalton has one in PIT once.

On to GB next week.