• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: VT vs. The team formerly known as The U., Lane Stadium, Thursday Night 7:30 PM, ESPN

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Someone should probably point to the good moments from last night, because there were a few isolated ones:

Lane stadium was sold out. First time since October 2013 -- homecoming last year. The crowd looked pretty good in the first quarter. You got a sense for what this program can be.

There was the Deone Clarke near sack on Kaaya that should have ended a first quarter Miami drive. The crowd went nuts, until the lame pass turned into a completion on blown coverage by Fuller. OK, maybe not quite the good moment it should have been.

There was Duke Johnson running into a bench on the sideline. Then Golden kept him in way past any need to, trying to bump his stats and run up the score. Any lingering pain on his part is on Golden.

There was stopping Miami on forth and goal, when they decided to go for it instead of taking the field goal. Al Golden, trying to rub salt in the wound. They got stuffed by the VT defense - a minor victory, but a victory.

There was the blocked extra point. It was worth keeping the TV on for, in spite of the pain in my chest.

There was the final drive, and the decision to go for it on fourth down, instead of settling for a sure field goal. That was a gutsy move, as failure would have meant the first shutout in like 250 games for VT. Luckily they got it, as the pain in my chest might have required medical intervention if they hadn't.

Yes, it's a rebuilding project that has currently stalled. If it doesn't get better really quickly, it's the end of the Beamer era. Even with some changes, the clock is ticking. But there is still a lot of talent in this program. They beat Ohio State in the shoe. Who gets to say they did that?

Last edited by a moderator:

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone should probably point to the good moments from last night, because there were a few isolated ones:

Lane stadium was sold out. First time since October 2013 -- homecoming last year. The crowd looked pretty good in the first quarter. You got a sense for what this program can be.

There was the Deone Clarke near sack on Kaaya that should have ended a first quarter Miami drive. The crowd went nuts, until the lame pass turned into a completion on blown coverage by Fuller. OK, maybe not quite the good moment it should have been.

There was Duke Johnson running into a bench on the sideline. Then Golden kept him in way past any need to, trying to bump his stats and run up the score. Any lingering pain on his part is on Golden.

There was stopping Miami on forth and goal, when they decided to go for it instead of taking the field goal. Al Golden, trying to rub salt in the wound. They got stuffed by the VT defense - a minor victory, but a victory.

There was the blocked extra point. It was worth keeping the TV on for, in spite of the pain in my chest.

There was the final drive, and the decision to go for it on fourth down, instead of settling for a sure field goal. That was a gutsy move, as failure would have meant the first shutout in like 250 games for VT. Luckily they got it, as the pain in my chest might have required medical intervention if they hadn't.

Yes, it's a rebuilding project that has currently stalled. If it doesn't get better really quickly, it's the end of the Beamer era. Even with some changes, the clock is ticking. But there is still a lot of talent in this program. They beat Ohio State in the shoe. Who gets to say they did that?

Also, the freshly painted field looked good!

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sorry, in the second reference, it was Nicolas who blew the coverage, not Fuller.

I didn't mention the freshly painted field because of the way that paint made the ball take a Miami bounce multiple times.

Last edited by a moderator:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to mention it last night but Shannon Spake (WOOD) had a very telling report during the game. After struggling mightly on offense, she said Rogers went up to Brewer and said "We need to run the ball". To me, that sounds like the offensive players know what's up but they don't trust the coaches to do what's necessary. I mean why else would he say that? Isn't what he's really saying is "Yo Brew, get on the headset and tell that OC to run the damn ball"?