• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

VT vs. GT - 9/3/12

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hell .. saw that TKP started a GT game thread and it's close enough to start a thread for the GT game here .. I'm pumped

1UYA5.gif

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'll be there :)

first game as an alum

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 questions:

1.)How are we going to move the ball against GT enough to where our limited possession wont kill us, and also keeps D off of the field?
2.)How will we be able to stop GT's offense?
3.) Does anyone else think that our defensive backfield is going to screw us over? I dont feel confident in them at all right now. and expain why or why not.
4.) Will we be able to do anything against FSU on Offense, and how?
5.) What is different (outside of their O line) that would lead us to believe we won't get blown out by Clemson again?
6.) Are there any other teams that will beat us on our schedule? UNC always plays us tough, and uva kinda worries me just because of the fallout that would happen if we lost.

Lot of questions, but my main concerns for the season. And im sure others have similar questions/concerns.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. We will hit them hard on the ground like we did last year and work the play action pass off of that. Their cornerbacks are smallish and the best one will be out for the game (Louis Young). We ran at will against their D last year and I don't see that changing.

2. Assignment D will be key. We need our linebackers to tackle their assignments and not follow the ball (against all instincts but it is what it is). The key will be tackling. The linebackers, tackles and corners will especially be required to bring guys down one on one. If we get a lead, the GT offense is done, They can't come from behind.

3. It is a worry, but I like the position flexibility (hello Mike Tomlin) that we have. All four of our starting DBs can play cornerback if needed. Manning has earned the trust of Gray and Foster so I trust them. We have played true freshmen there before (Harris, Hosley, Fuller). If we have a significant injury at CB, I would expect Jarrett to move over and Aromire to step in at Rover without much of a dropoff. More than one injury and I will get more nervous.

4. Run, run, run, run and play off that with the play action. As dominant as their D Line is, their secondary is a weakness, and we have miscmatches with Davis and Coles if healthy. It is going to be a barn burner game where the talent gap will favor FSU, but it is in Lane stadium and we have crushed more talented teams before by playing really good defense, causing turnovers and pouncing on them.

5. Healthy DBs, depth along the defensive line are key. This game concerns me the most though. We need our guys to stay fresh so a full two deep with experience would help a lot.

6. UNC concerns me. Going to Coral Gables concerns me a little bit. We will curb-stomp UVA, no worries there. We seem to lay an egg in our first road game every year (ECU last year, early BC the year before, Duke before that, UNC before that) and Pitt is probably better than any of those teams. Luckily their quarterback is the worst in the FBS so we should be OK. I hate FedEx so I worry about Cincy.

dngrcnnn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5.) What is different (outside of their O line) that would lead us to believe we won't get blown out by Clemson again?

Andre Branch is gone. That certainly won't hurt us.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah their defensive line is nowhere as good as they were and their offensive line is their weak inexperienced spot but their defense should be better. We need to have a better gameplay and we need to get pressure from the front four on boyd..under pressure he's not good at all...

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confident our offense will be fine. In fact, I'm struggling to lower my expectations because I keep anticipating all sorts of awesomeness with every report I read. I worry about the defense though. Methinks GT will have cooked up all sorts of stuff besides the standard triple option. I also expect them to pass a lot more (for them at least) to test out our secondary. Hopefully if I can figure this out, that means Coach Gray and Foster figured this out months ago

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4. Run, run, run, run and play off that with the play action. As dominant as their D Line is, their secondary is a weakness, and we have miscmatches with Davis and Coles if healthy. It is going to be a barn burner game where the talent gap will favor FSU, but it is in Lane stadium and we have crushed more talented teams before by playing really good defense, causing turnovers and pouncing on them.

Are Coles and Davis good enough to get separation from defenses? Both seem to always try to craddle catch the ball instead of catching it at its highest point. Davis made a nice grab on the 2-pt conversion against Michigan, but he also should have had a game winning TD in the 4th if he simply jumped and got the ball at its highest point, but instead he tried to basket catch it and missed. I worry about our WR's against solid defenses. FSU has Rhodes and some other good DB's.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are Coles and Davis good enough to get separation from defenses? Both seem to always try to craddle catch the ball instead of catching it at its highest point. Davis made a nice grab on the 2-pt conversion against Michigan, but he also should have had a game winning TD in the 4th if he simply jumped and got the ball at its highest point, but instead he tried to basket catch it and missed. I worry about our WR's against solid defenses. FSU has Rhodes and some other good DB's.

I think Coles will be very good if he comes back 100%. I have less faith in Davis, but I'm hoping he has finally put it all together and will blow us away consistently this year. We'll see.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis runs good routes and is the most athletic receiver we have. Unfortunately, if he's not involved early, he completely checks out of games. Like many of you guys have said, let's hope he's matured a bit this offseason.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
too much to read tonight, will catch up tomorrow at work.

but...

AWWW SHIT ITS GO TIME!!! We have a game thread!

Jhalf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think we will be able to rush for more yards than last year. With the improvements our O line seems to be having in the run game and the patience of Holmes i think he could see a big night on inside runs. It seems like every time I hear about him he racks up 7 yards. Im so over the outside run game we have had the past couple years, because if you dont get 10 yards you don't get any.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think we will be able to rush for more yards than last year. With the improvements our O line seems to be having in the run game and the patience of Holmes i think he could see a big night on inside runs. It seems like every time I hear about him he racks up 7 yards. Im so over the outside run game we have had the past couple years, because if you dont get 10 yards you don't get any.

Also, Wilson sometimes had a tendency to run the wrong direction.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didnt i read somewhere that GT is going to be playing some pretty inexperienced linebackers due to suspensions?

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they're short a starter in the secondary, dunno about LB

They are short their best CB due to suspension, and a LB that led the team in tackles last year due to a potentially career-ending neck injury.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dean Buchan ‏@DeanBuchan
Paul Johnson told fans about how he blasted "Enter Sandman" and crowd noise yesterday at practice. Players loved it.

Retweeted by Andy Bitter

Might want to ask Bo Pelini how being a smug little bitch worked out for him. Can't wait for football!!!!!!!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dean Buchan ‏@DeanBuchan
Paul Johnson told fans about how he blasted "Enter Sandman" and crowd noise yesterday at practice. Players loved it.

Retweeted by Andy Bitter

Might want to ask Bo Pelini how being a smug little bitch worked out for him. Can't wait for football!!!!!!!

I know Sandman is fun and all and this may be an unpopular opinion, but if it actually intimidates another team, that team sucks. It lasts for like a minute before the game starts.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know Sandman is fun and all and this may be an unpopular opinion, but if it actually intimidates another team, that team sucks. It lasts for like a minute before the game starts.

I don't think it's Sandman that intimidates, but the excited crowd in Lane Stadium that is cheering for Va Tech and against the visiting team. Anyway, it doesn't matter if it intimidates the other team. It's enough to get the crowd into the game. It just sets the right tone.