• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Voting Midmajors into the top 10 is a joke!

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still completely fail to see what the problem is.

Who cares if people talk about midmajors on TV? Are you that damn insecure that you can't handle somebody talking about WSU for 15 seconds? Their ranking doesn't affect tournament selection, it doesn't affect seeding, and it doesn't affect anything else that I can see.

You just sound like a bitter old elitist that wants WSU and SDSU to get off your lawn.

You got stuck on this cause of me not wanting people to talk about Midmajors. I've never posted this and I've already posted why I think mm's top 10 rankings are issues.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got stuck on this cause of me not wanting people to talk about Midmajors. I've never posted this and I've already posted why I think mm's top 10 rankings are issues.

Bullshit, you have.

You've posted why you don't like midmajors being ranked high.

You've yet to acknowledge that it's a stupid, lazy generalization.

"I don't think mid majors should _____" is the same lazy, elitist mindset behind "I don't think black people should ______" You could could have said "under-qualified" and been fine. You could have said, "weak-scheduled" and been fine. But you didn't. You try and claim that your beef is with scheduling, but that logic has been debunked, and if your claim was really true, you'd have addressed the scheduling issue instead of the conference issue. You look down your nose at Mid Majors, and you're just looking for an excuse to take a poke at them. You're basically MikeySyr18, only vaguely more literate.

Polls are utterly fucking meaningless. They have no impact on anything of use. They can't lead to any meaningful "issues" since they have no significant impact on anything. The "issues" you brought up are just petty elitism and nothing more.

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's lazy but the generalization is rather accurate.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's lazy but the generalization is rather accurate.

Well, no, it isn't fully accurate as it completely ignores the teams playing in "power" conferences that still play a shit schedule. But you just like to gloss over those, don't you?

And it still ignores the bigger issue of why the hell do you care? The polls are meaningless. They have no meaning. Sans signification. Ohne Sinn. How can you have a problem with something that for all purposes here, is nothing?

So far the only thing I've seen you mention that is a consequence of higher rankings (even though you're wrong about it) was that people were talking about WSU more. Was there something else I missed? I went back and re-read the thread and didn't see anything else. So what other conclusion are we to draw other than you don't like people talking about WSU and mid majors?

What about the rating systems that have mid majors ranked in the top 10? Do you have a problem with the rating systems? Do you have an issue with the people that created them? What about the RPI? That's a list that actually has some significance. It is used by the selection committee to select and seed teams? What about what the selection committee? What if they give a mid major a 1 or a 2 seed? Are they a joke too? What if a mid major makes it to the Elite Eight? Is March Madness a joke? I'm just curious if you're willing to run with your stupid logic, or if it's just confined to the human polls.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey trolly, I know you're a big saragin fan. He currently has Wichita State in 17th. Do you agree with him or should they be higher? 17th sounds kinda low for me.

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure it leaves out that some power conference teams have weak schedules, and they should be punished for them in the meaningless polls.

My point that people talk about ranked teams more and that Midmajors shouldn't be ranked in the top 10 are two seperate arguments.

Those questions are dumb. Since I have a problem with human polls in CBB I also have a problem with seeding and march madness?

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure it leaves out that some power conference teams have weak schedules, and they should be punished for them in the meaningless polls.

Why should any team (mid major or otherwise) be punished for being ranked in a poll that they have no control over? That's window-licking, special-helmet-wearing, short-bus-riding stupid right there.

My point that people talk about ranked teams more and that Midmajors shouldn't be ranked in the top 10 are two seperate arguments.

Okay, so if people talking about mid majors has nothing to do with mid majors being ranked, why are you so upset over mid majors being ranked? If it's not the chatter, then what's the problem?

Those questions are dumb. Since I have a problem with human polls in CBB I also have a problem with seeding and march madness?

Well your original assertion is dumb too. So it's no surprise the extension of that same dumb logic is also dumb. Dummy.

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should any team (mid major or otherwise) be punished for being ranked in a poll that they have no control over? That's window-licking, special-helmet-wearing, short-bus-riding stupid right there.

Okay, so if people talking about mid majors has nothing to do with mid majors being ranked, why are you so upset over mid majors being ranked? If it's not the chatter, then what's the problem?

Well your original assertion is dumb too. So it's no surprise the extension of that same dumb logic is also dumb. Dummy.

Do you think I mean they should be spanked and sent to their dorm rooms without dinner? Wins over poor opponents shouldn't propel their ranking over a team that just lost a tough game to a good opponent.

Ranking them in the top 10 rewards them for munching on bad teams.

No.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think I mean they should be spanked and sent to their dorm rooms without dinner? Wins over poor opponents shouldn't propel their ranking over a team that just lost a tough game to a good opponent.

Ranking them in the top 10 rewards them for munching on bad teams.

The fuck it does. The polls don't reward or punish anyone. They simply rank them. They have no meaning. No significance. No Impact. Ranking a team #1 doesn't reward them. It puts them at #1. That isn't a reward, it's a meaningless designation. Ranking a team 347th doesn't punish them. It has zero effect on them. If there is any side effect to rankings (and it's a tenuous claim at best) it's that being ranked higher makes your road tougher, not easier, as opponents play harder against higher ranked competition.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fuck it does. The polls don't reward or punish anyone. They simply rank them. They have no meaning. No significance. No Impact. Ranking a team #1 doesn't reward them. It puts them at #1. That isn't a reward, it's a meaningless designation. Ranking a team 347th doesn't punish them. It has zero effect on them. If there is any side effect to rankings (and it's a tenuous claim at best) it's that being ranked higher makes your road tougher, not easier, as opponents play harder against higher ranked competition.

this

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Okay. Meaningless except for boosting fan support, recruiting and tv exposure.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay. Meaningless except for boosting fan support, recruiting and tv exposure.

I'm pretty sure that comes from the "winning games" and "being good" not because of an arbitrary number next to their name.

A deep run in the tournament will get a mid major 10x the amount of fan support, recruiting boost, and tv exposure that being in the top 10 would get them.

It still comes down to winning games no matter how you slice it. The rankings are meaningless.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rankings are irrelevant really ( as priorly stated ). Sure a top 10 ranking is nice for recruiting BUT nobody remebers what teams were in the top 10 last February but we do remeber what teams made the EE or FF last year. Tourney play is what its all about really. I still havent had anyone give me a reasonable explanation as to why Wichita is "overrated". Lets recap. Final 4 last year, returns the whole team, 29-0 this year. How is number 2 overrated??? I dont get that. At all. If Louisville was say 26-3 this year no one would be saying they were overrated at number 2 yet the Cardinals schedule really isnt that different from the Shockers. Its perception IMO.

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rankings are irrelevant really ( as priorly stated ). Sure a top 10 ranking is nice for recruiting BUT nobody remebers what teams were in the top 10 last February but we do remeber what teams made the EE or FF last year. Tourney play is what its all about really. I still havent had anyone give me a reasonable explanation as to why Wichita is "overrated". Lets recap. Final 4 last year, returns the whole team, 29-0 this year. How is number 2 overrated??? I dont get that. At all. If Louisville was say 26-3 this year no one would be saying they were overrated at number 2 yet the Cardinals schedule really isnt that different from the Shockers. Its perception IMO.

There is no reasonable explanation considering the current way the polls work. They're power rankings in which as long as you keep winning, it doesn't matter if you're beating Bradley or Virginia. Not a great way to do it.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no reasonable explanation considering the current way the polls work.

Explanation for what?

They're power rankings in which as long as you keep winning, it doesn't matter if you're beating Bradley or Virginia. Not a great way to do it.

Yes. The polls are terrible. There are very few guidelines (if any) to direct the voters on what exactly they're voting on. They suffer from confirmation bias. And they generally don't prove to be particularly accurate with regards to the tournament.

But they still don't have any significant impact on anything. And it still has absolutely nothing to do with any stupid fucking arbitrary designation of "mid major" conference affiliation.

You're just talking out your ass.

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explanation for what?
But they still don't have any significant impact on anything. And it still has absolutely nothing to do with any stupid fucking arbitrary designation of "mid major" conference affiliation.

You're just talking out your ass.

Lol I understand how you feel about the polls, you've only posted it 50 times. Rankings should rely much heavier on SOS, which is why I said ranking midmajors in the top 10 is a joke. Sure there are exceptions in that some power conference teams play weak schedules. A great example is Louisville, but that will be corrected next year.

I'm done with this thread, it's played out.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol I understand how you feel about the polls, you've only posted it 50 times. Rankings should rely much heavier on SOS, which is why I said ranking midmajors in the top 10 is a joke. Sure there are exceptions in that some power conference teams play weak schedules. A great example is Louisville, but that will be corrected next year.

I'm done with this thread, it's played out.

You realize that the polls are just people's collective opinions, right? How in the world are you going to include SoS in that?

"Vote for the teams you think are the best... Oh btw, don't forget SoS." Are you under the impression that none of the AP voters are aware of SoS? Do you think they are aware and purposefully ignore it?

And even if you did factor in SoS, what would that accomplish exactly? What's your endgame with your mid major rant?

And more importantly, if you think that SoS is so important, then why don't you just ignore the polls and look at whatever SoS rankings float your boat?