• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Voting Midmajors into the top 10 is a joke!

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
johnny boy what happened to blocking me? couldn't stand not seeing my sexy posts, huh?

He has the will power of a meth junkie. He can't help himself. I'd weigh in on the subject of at hand, but it looks like you guys have it pretty well in hand, and since john0 has brought himself under the watchful eye, of the mods, I don't really think my rope-a-adope tactics are necessary any more. That problem will take care of itself.

I am glad they brought him back in time to make excuses for Cuse's losing streak. Good times.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is a joke of a thread. San Diego State won @ Kansas. There are about 5 other teams in the country that could do that. Are they one of the best teams in the country? Probably not. But if the other teams didn't lose so many games then you wouldn't have to embarrass yourself like you just did.

Wichita State is 29-0. Shut up, bro

I didn't even bother reading after this comment.

Wow this board is going stupid.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here's an idea regarding voting teams in the polls... How bout ignoring conference affiliation completely? It only serves as a lazy generalization, and one can make much better arguments teams based on their entire schedule and body of work, instead of some lame cop-out about what conference they play in.

Or better yet.. just ignore the polls as they don't matter, even a little bit. They're main purpose is to stir up overly sensitive people into a frenzy to drum up page hits on various sites.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep the team that was in the final 4 last yr and is undefeated this yr has no business being in the top 10

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't even bother reading after this comment.

Wow this board is going stupid.

Realize that this comment could be interpreted the wrong way.

Meant that your post I quoted summed up the stupidity of this thread and I simply didn't waste my time reading anything that followed.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are looking for a more accurate ranking system, IMO, it would be better if OCC games are not all played at the very beginning of the season. IMO, some of those top 10 teams would not be there if they had to play the same teams they beat early in the season. For example, I'll pick on an SEC team so some of you who take everything personal don't get upset. At any rate, Does anyone believe that Tennessee beats Virginia by 30 this week? That game at the beginning of the year means nothing as does most OCC games when the really good coaches are sacrificing games to find their chemistry. Rick Pitino, maybe the best in the business, loses a lot of early games, but always shows up in March with a team ready to play. No one remembers or cares who won an individual conference, however elite 8 and final 4's are remembered. That said, I think the OP has a point and some of those top 10 teams have a soft schedule to thank for being there.....my Gators being one.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are looking for a more accurate ranking system, IMO, it would be better if OCC games are not all played at the very beginning of the season. IMO, some of those top 10 teams would not be there if they had to play the same teams they beat early in the season. For example, I'll pick on an SEC team so some of you who take everything personal don't get upset. At any rate, Does anyone believe that Tennessee beats Virginia by 30 this week? That game at the beginning of the year means nothing as does most OCC games when the really good coaches are sacrificing games to find their chemistry. Rick Pitino, maybe the best in the business, loses a lot of early games, but always shows up in March with a team ready to play. No one remembers or cares who won an individual conference, however elite 8 and final 4's are remembered. That said, I think the OP has a point and some of those top 10 teams have a soft schedule to thank for being there.....my Gators being one.

I agree, and that was my point (basically). If we really want to go by his criteria, then you can throw almost the entire top ten in there. Being that UCLA is on their way out of the top 25, you could even argue that AZ hasn't beaten "solid competition" in the Pac. So then WSU, UF, AZ, SDUS, Nova, StL, UC, Ville, and Creighton would all fall into this category of his. So that's 9 of the top 11 teams. Yet he only mentioned SDSU and WSU.

And I agree Trolly, you have to throw conferences out, because the major conferences are not immune to his critique.

I just think it takes a degree of analysis to really look at each team, who they have played throughout the year, and how they've done, in order to criticize a team. If someone wants to bag on a team for not having played anyone, then they have to look OOC as well as in conference. And it can only be part of the metric, because SOS only tells part of the story. That's why I mentioned in another post that you have to take a look at everything. A team like Cuse has played "solid" teams staggered throughout, and yet their SOS is not good, and the majority of those good teams were played at home. And KU has played a ridiculous schedule, by they lost a lot of those games against tough teams. Same with Duke. So really, you can pick every team apart and dissect them. It's just ridiculous to do. Like I've said all along, I don't care about ranking, I care about seeding, and location.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realize that this comment could be interpreted the wrong way.

Meant that your post I quoted summed up the stupidity of this thread and I simply didn't waste my time reading anything that followed.

Hahaha glad you said this because I was thinking "that's not consistent with his normal thinking"

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is a joke of a thread. San Diego State won @ Kansas. There are about 5 other teams in the country that could do that. Are they one of the best teams in the country? Probably not. But if the other teams didn't lose so many games then you wouldn't have to embarrass yourself like you just did.

Wichita State is 29-0. Shut up, bro

Alright so I finally got around to reading all the posts in this thread and let me start off by saying I'm not embarrassed and I'm not going to shut up "bro". As pointed out by this thread polls are basically meaningless. They're completely meaningless come March, but I bet you can find a correlation between how much tv time a team gets vs how highly they're ranked.

Because polls are largely meaningless they should be used to reward teams for playing tough schedules. I think this would benefit college basketball fans everywhere (and since IU and UK don't play eachother anymore it could certainly encourage IU and other teams to stop playing Coppin St). Right now the polls reward teams for playing cupcakes and it's some bs.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright so I finally got around to reading all the posts in this thread and let me start off by saying I'm not embarrassed and I'm not going to shut up "bro". As pointed out by this thread polls are basically meaningless. They're completely meaningless come March, but I bet you can find a correlation between how much tv time a team gets vs how highly they're ranked.

Because polls are largely meaningless they should be used to reward teams for playing tough schedules. I think this would benefit college basketball fans everywhere (and since IU and UK don't play eachother anymore it could certainly encourage IU and other teams to stop playing Coppin St). Right now the polls reward teams for playing cupcakes and it's some bs.

Playing a good schedule is important, but it will always be secondary to winning games, and there is no bs about that.

quit yer bithchin.

And as far as the correlation between TV time and how a team is ranked... you're more likely to get TV time by playing a ranked team, not by being a ranked team. The networks want to air games between two ranked teams, not a ranked team playing a nobody. So your theory goes to shit right there anyway.

Isn't there a court for you to go storm somewhere?

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing a good schedule is important, but it will always be secondary to winning games, and there is no bs about that.

quit yer bithchin.

And as far as the correlation between TV time and how a team is ranked... you're more likely to get TV time by playing a ranked team, not by being a ranked team. The networks want to air games between two ranked teams, not a ranked team playing a nobody. So your theory goes to shit right there anyway.

Isn't there a court for you to go storm somewhere?

How much would Wichita St be talked about if they weren't highly ranked though? Or SDSU?

Not till Thursday. :dance:

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much would Wichita St be talked about if they weren't highly ranked though?

Since they're undefeated... a lot. I don't hear anyone talking about they're ranking come to think of it. I hear people talking about their potential seeding, and I hear people talking about how long they can go undefeated, and the last team to make it this long undefeated... but not much chatter about their ranking.

I don't hear much talk about SDSU at all even with their ranking. And why do you care if some mid majors are talked about? Are you that big of an elitist that you can't even stand the thought of people talking about mid-majors?

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since they're undefeated... a lot. I don't hear anyone talking about they're ranking come to think of it. I hear people talking about their potential seeding, and I hear people talking about how long they can go undefeated, and the last team to make it this long undefeated... but not much chatter about their ranking.

I don't hear much talk about SDSU at all even with their ranking. And why do you care if some mid majors are talked about? Are you that big of an elitist that you can't even stand the thought of people talking about mid-majors?

There's a lot of talk about them potentially being ranked number #1.

I am simply supporting my point about rankings fueling increased coverage of teams.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a lot of talk about them potentially being ranked number #1.

I am simply supporting my point about rankings fueling increased coverage of teams.

What kind of coverage are you talking about? Televised games or talking heads talking? If you're talking about games (which is the only thing I really see as a "reward") your assertion is categorically wrong. Teams that schedule other good teams are more likely to make it on TV, not teams that schedule cupcakes.

If you're talking about general discussion, who really gives a shit which teams the talking heads are talking about. I've never given it a second thought. Why does that matter, and why do you care?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I have SOME issues with middies being ranked super high I take NONE with Wichita being ranked where they are. As a matter of fact the Shockers deserve to be ranked number 1. Give me a another team in NCAA history that goes to the Final 4, returns everyone off that team, starts the next year 29-0 and people say they are "overrated"???? Give me a fucking break. If you want to bang on SLU, SDSU etc then go crazy but Wichita is underrated if anyting IMO

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you guys even care about basketball polls during the season? They are less than meaningless. One group ranks teams all year then at the end, a different group seeds them. Does it matter if one team is ranked 3 spots ahead of another if come tourney time they can't back it up? The college basketball regular season is meaningful for about 20 teams who compete just to get in the tourney so they can lose in the first 2 rounds.

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would be great.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much would Wichita St be talked about if they weren't highly ranked though? Or SDSU?

Not till Thursday. :dance:

Man, you just have a real hard-on for those two teams. Again, if you are going to cry about them, you should definitely complain about 'Ville (who has only just won their first game against a ranked team), Nova, Creighton, and St Louis. All of them are in the top ten with weak schedules, and barely any wins over solid teams. If that was the case, you shouldn't be as worried about SDSU, as you should the #2, #7, #8, #9, and #10 teams. My question is: why do you only care about WSU and SDSU??? You completely ignore the others.

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, you just have a real hard-on for those two teams. Again, if you are going to cry about them, you should definitely complain about 'Ville (who has only just won their first game against a ranked team), Nova, Creighton, and St Louis. All of them are in the top ten with weak schedules, and barely any wins over solid teams. If that was the case, you shouldn't be as worried about SDSU, as you should the #2, #7, #8, #9, and #10 teams. My question is: why do you only care about WSU and SDSU??? You completely ignore the others.

Those are the two highest ranked Midmajors, I've been using those two as examples for all Midmajors.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still completely fail to see what the problem is.

Who cares if people talk about midmajors on TV? Are you that damn insecure that you can't handle somebody talking about WSU for 15 seconds? Their ranking doesn't affect tournament selection, it doesn't affect seeding, and it doesn't affect anything else that I can see.

You just sound like a bitter old elitist that wants WSU and SDSU to get off your lawn.