• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech Basketball Week 4: Nov. 26 - Dec. 2, Iowa, Oklahoma St.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2012-13 Basketball Week 4: Nov26-Dec2, Iowa, Oklahoma St.

TechHoops preview is up for Iowa. Not a spectacular team, but definitely better than anyone we've played so far.

My concerns:
1. rebounding has not been good against shorter teams... will we do well enough?
2. outside shooting has been very good so far, but will Iowa's length give us trouble?
3. can we stay out of foul trouble? Iowa has much more depth than we do (a likely theme for the rest of the year).

On the other hand:
1. Their PG and their C are true freshmen. We definitely have the experience edge at those positions.
2. Barksdale may be one of our better defenders, and along with Wood our defensive rebounding at the 4 has been pretty good. Iowa's best rebounder, at least statistically, plays at the 4.
3. I think our starters are all-around equal or better at every position except the 4.

Preview | iowa (5-1) @ VT (5-0) | Tuesday, 7:15 | ESPNU|Tech Hoops

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didn't see the one I started, I guess. :)

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really need Raines to step it up offensively. He has really struggled passing out of the double team in the post and caused a lot of turnovers. I think the double teams have also got him rushing a little bit on his post moves which leads to misses.

Imo a freshmen PG guarding Green could get Iowa's freshmen 7 footer in foul trouble early on defense.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im interested in this game. VT has some nice talent and I think they are probably the second best team we will have played so far but it is our first true road test so it will be intriguing to see how Gessell ( freshman PG) handles it. He got into ealry foul trouble vs Wichita and that made us more Dev Marble to PG costing us our best scorer. If Gessell can stay out of foul trouble I think Iowa wins this one, if you guys can get him in trouble then it is going to be tough for us to win. Our 7 footer ( Adam Woodbury) is pretty inconsequential to tell you the truth, he starts but is more of a project, the real important minutes are played by Melsahn Basabe or Zach MCabe at the 5. Iowa has WAYYY more depth than you guys but that wont mean much if we dont shoot it better than we have the last 3 games.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im interested in this game. VT has some nice talent and I think they are probably the second best team we will have played so far but it is our first true road test so it will be intriguing to see how Gessell ( freshman PG) handles it. He got into ealry foul trouble vs Wichita and that made us more Dev Marble to PG costing us our best scorer. If Gessell can stay out of foul trouble I think Iowa wins this one, if you guys can get him in trouble then it is going to be tough for us to win. Our 7 footer ( Adam Woodbury) is pretty inconsequential to tell you the truth, he starts but is more of a project, the real important minutes are played by Melsahn Basabe or Zach MCabe at the 5. Iowa has WAYYY more depth than you guys but that wont mean much if we dont shoot it better than we have the last 3 games.

Will Gessell be guarding Erick Green on defense?...if so, then the odds of him getting into foul trouble are high.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Gessell be guarding Erick Green on defense?...if so, then the odds of him getting into foul trouble are high.

Probably not. Iowa will probably put Marble on Green. Much better defender at this point, plus he is long and athletic. Gessell is really good but not the tallest or quickest. More of a Steve Nash type PG as opposed to a Derrick Rose type.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Gessell got into foul trouble vs Wichita Iowa had to go to alot of zone D since our backup PG ( Anthony Clemons ) is more of an offensive guy than defensive. That made it a real bitch for us to rebound. Got crushed by the Shockers on the boards so I really think Gessell is the key to this game which bodes well for you guys since he is a freshman playing his first true road game.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No worries...VT doesn't rebound well vs. Man or Zone D.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Gessell got into foul trouble vs Wichita Iowa had to go to alot of zone D since our backup PG ( Anthony Clemons ) is more of an offensive guy than defensive. That made it a real bitch for us to rebound. Got crushed by the Shockers on the boards so I really think Gessell is the key to this game which bodes well for you guys since he is a freshman playing his first true road game.
Interesting, I guess they'll put Gessel on Brown then. Brown is our second best creator off the dribble imo. Only problem is Brown will settle for jumpers and floaters too often and may not be able to get Gessel in foul trouble like Erick Green would.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really need to work on the double team. We are leaving the weak side wide open for easy dunks.