• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Veteran Patriots who are "on the edge"

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just an opinion so voice your own.....
Danny Amendola -
Matthew Slater - getting old, an injury away from getting cut.
Rob Housler
LaAdrian Waddle
Jonatan Freeney
Rob Ninkovich (don't hate me)

I didn't include 3 year veterans nor unsigned players (like Blount)

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bruschi:

....... Bruschi said, before explaining why he enjoys free agency and the draft: “It’s all truth-based. A lot of head coaches get up to the podium and give you smoke screens the best they can, but then free agency and the draft comes around and players get the truth about how their teams feel about them by who they sign, which you find out real quick. For me, it was when they drafted Jerod Mayo 10th overall [in 2008] and I knew my time was coming.”

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From your list I'd be happy with DA and Ninkovich back on new deals.
Slater has been a great ST player, captain and good guy. But NE needs players who do more than just STs. This is a hard one to call. I'm not bothered either way. If they can find a LB or RB... who can get some snaps during the game while providing near the same ST play I say NE should go that route.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just an opinion so voice your own.....
Danny Amendola -
Matthew Slater - getting old, an injury away from getting cut.
Rob Housler
LaAdrian Waddle
Jonatan Freeney
Rob Ninkovich (don't hate me)

I didn't include 3 year veterans nor unsigned players (like Blount)

Danny Amendola -Not going to be productive game in and game out. Not going to give you 80 - 100 catches a year. Not happening. But the dude is CLUTCH. And he likes NE. Maybe he likes NE because he knows there is not a market anywhere else for him. I would be glad to have him in NE if he restructures.

Matthew Slater - Dude is still one of the best at his position. A leader, smart tough and fast. He has always been in the right place at the right time. A couple more seasons until anyone replaces Slater.

Rob Housler - Quick and agile for his size supposedly with good hands. Not a great blocker is what the word is, I don't know. If anybody get get production out of him it will be Bill. If anybody will cut him quick...it will be Bill.

LaAdrian Waddle - Dante Scarnecchia.

Jonathan Freeny - Depth, but expendable.

Rob Ninkovich - Can be clutch, but he has lost a step. Or two. Not every down, but he brings a leadership presence and depth.

Blount - Sign him.

Floyd - WR is not a position of need, but if a team friendly DA deal cannot be done, Floyd does have some physical aspects no other WR on the team has. Again, team friendly deal.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amendola - With the addition of Cooks, his roster spot may be in jeopordy. Very clutch player with money on
the line (playoffs) but WR might be too crowded to accommodate him. Possible trade bait to
a good team (Saints in a package with Butler?).

Slater - Solid special teamer. I feel BB will try to find a roster slot to keep him and probably will.

Housler - Vet move TE who has a decent chance of staying, especially if Gronk starts out slowly.

Waddle - Was a roster scratch most of 2016. Probably won't make the cut.

Freeney - BB might keep him and cut someone like Grissom (DE/LB).

Ninkovich - This is probably his last year (contract ends after 2017 season), so I feel he stays.

Blount - He will probably sign late like he did a year or two ago (if BB still wants him).

Floyd - Will probably be serving a suspension to start the season, so BB has some extra time
to decide on his status. A real numbers game at WR.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amendola - With the addition of Cooks, his roster spot may be in jeopordy. Very clutch player with money on
the line (playoffs) but WR might be too crowded to accommodate him. Possible trade bait to
a good team (Saints in a package with Butler?).

Slater - Solid special teamer. I feel BB will try to find a roster slot to keep him and probably will.

Housler - Vet move TE who has a decent chance of staying, especially if Gronk starts out slowly.

Waddle - Was a roster scratch most of 2016. Probably won't make the cut.

Freeney - BB might keep him and cut someone like Grissom (DE/LB).

Ninkovich - This is probably his last year (contract ends after 2017 season), so I feel he stays.

Blount - He will probably sign late like he did a year or two ago (if BB still wants him).

Floyd - Will probably be serving a suspension to start the season, so BB has some extra time
to decide on his status. A real numbers game at WR.

Blount just had his best season at 32? He has no balance. He can't make yards.
Of the Patriots rushing yards per carry, Blount had less than:
Dion Lewis,
James White,
Jacoby Brissett,
Julian Edelman,
Martellus Bennett,
Brandon Bolden,
Matthew Slater.
He did beat Tom Brady.....

Receiving? Last among Patriots RB's in yards per reception.....

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he moves forward he gains yards. He makes "Maroney" mistakes at times by dancing or moving sideways, but when moving forward decisively he gains yards. Blount would do well to study films of Antwan Smith. That guy never averaged a lot, but when you needed a foot he got the foot.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blount isn't 32, he just turned 30 in December. That said, and while he doesn't have as much mileage on him as most 30 year old big backs, buyer still needs to beware of a RB that age coming off a career year. He's a different kind of back than any of the other guys on the roster, so there's a role for him here, but given the lack of market for his services in FA, it's pretty apparent BB is ready to move on to a younger back. The draft is pretty deep with big RB's, so even without a 1 or a 2 they should be able to find a younger replacement.

Waddle...did he even take a snap last year? He's got a prototype build, has been a starter in the league, he's cheap, and it's a pretty shitty crop of OT's in the draft. He probably sticks for one more year. But if they draft someone, he's probably a goner, unless they decide he's close enough to Fleming to justify the cap savings of letting Fleming go instead.

Ninkovich just turned 33 so he's getting close to the end. But he's also still productive, versatile, durable, and inexpensive veteran leader. You need guys like that. Especially with Long and Sheard gone. They probably draft at least one edge player, but Nink sticks at least one more year, IMO.

Amendola should come down to economics...you can't pay your 5th WR a $6MM base salary. If he's willing to take a (significant) pay cut for a third straight year to stay, then he might stick around. If they were gonna straight up cut him, they'd've done it before FA started, I think they want him to stay. Absent a big haircut to the salary, though, it's time for the Devin Lucien show.

Slater is still a stud, a team leader, and his contract is very reasonable for what he brings to the table. Jonathan Jones might be the next guy, but Slater's still the guy for now.

Freeny was hurt, but he's another versatile guy without an onerous contract. He might be a longer shot to make the roster, but like DA, if he wasn't in their plans, he'd've been dumped before now.

Housler? Dude has bounced all over and was out of the league altogether last year, doubt he's anything more than camp competition for Lengel.

Some dark horse predictions for surprise cuts later on:

Dion Lewis (dynamic as he can be, gets banged up too much to rely on, James White has proved his worth in the role and Foster showed flashes)
Stephen Gostkowski (current rules make this unlikely, and kickers last a long time but OTOH he's 33 and the highest-paid kicker in the league)
Cam Fleming (solid as the 3rd OT last year, but is he really >2X better than Waddle)
Jordan Richards (hasn't been able to make an impact on D, not as good a ST player as King or Jones, top 3 safeties are locked in for a few years)

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny Amendola - I like Danny, so I am not sure where it goes from here. He is not worth the money he is making, but has been a team guy and took the cuts. So IMO, unless NE needs that money (which it seems like the won't), he is here at his Cap hit as a way of BB saying Thank You. However, I would like to see him cut and Floyd picked up. Cooks, Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell, Floyd gives this team a huge advantage at the WR spot.

Matthew Slater - Team captain who is one of the best ST guys in the league. Sure he's been hurt, but only missed a few games. AS long as he can get down the field, he won't go anywhere.

Rob Housler- Won't make this team. NE wil draft a TE or grab another one at FA. I thought Riveria from Oak would be a nice fit here. I expect NE to draft a TE in the 3rd.

LaAdrian Waddle- Adds depth, but have to see how this plays out. This OL is pretty damn deep. Maybe with Jackson back this yr we can see Karras move to OT.

Jonatan Freeney- Depth and good ST guy, he sticks.

Rob Ninkovich- Won't be going anywhere this yr.

Blount- Not sure what is up. He seemed to slow down at the end of the yr, and White was awesome in the SB. So maybe White is the lead back now with Lewis and Rex behind him. Lots of RB in this draft, so maybe BB can draft one. If not, then bring back Blount.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny Amendola - This guy was hero #2 in the Super Bowl. He's not going anywhere.

Matthew Slater - BB Values what Slater brings to the ST. He's also a fall back for WR and CB. He'll be here.

Rob Housler- Can't block either bull rushers or speed rushers. He's here for competition and will be gone Aug.1.

LaAdrian Waddle - He's an OT that's been a bit dinged up. He'll get a chance to show what he can do after a year with Scar. If he hasn't taken a huge leap forward, he'll be on Rt. 95 South come August.

Jonatan Freeney- He'll be competing for a spot on the roster. The are a ton of good college LBs coming out this year and they'll be cheaper.

Rob Ninkovich- Where will you find anyone better? He's here for one more ring.

Blount- BB will be able to pick a 22 year old Blount as an undrafted FA or he'll draft one in the late rounds. Not one other team has made him an offer.....why?? Because he's lost a step and will be losing more. Time to move on.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they keep Amendola.. I just got the Superbowl DVD and Admendola is all over the highlights.

He's definitely become a player Brady and the Patriot rely when they NEED a completion or big play. Edelman and Gronk are often covered. Hogan and Mitchell are certainly nice but Amendola has become a key reliable player. Plus he does kickoff and punt returns.

Same sort of with Nincovich. He's veteran player who's still got a nose for the ball and knows what's going on.

Blount will sign again for the minimum. There's are times when he just can't seem gain a yard but he still can pound the ball and beat up a defense quite often.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they keep Amendola.. I just got the Superbowl DVD and Admendola is all over the highlights.

He's definitely become a player Brady and the Patriot rely when they NEED a completion or big play. Edelman and Gronk are often covered. Hogan and Mitchell are certainly nice but Amendola has become a key reliable player. Plus he does kickoff and punt returns.

Same sort of with Nincovich. He's veteran player who's still got a nose for the ball and knows what's going on.

Blount will sign again for the minimum. There's are times when he just can't seem gain a yard but he still can pound the ball and beat up a defense quite often.
I agree with everything you're saying. I hope Dola doesn't get hosed renegotiating. Kind of surprised Blount hasn't gotten any attention. I think this is his last year in a Pat uni.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reference to Bolden being on the bubble with all the RB's signed and only contributing on ST...???
I cannot recall a single play last year where "Special Teams Ace" Brandon Bolden's name was brought up.
He must have pictures of Robert Kraft or something.

After projecting the 53 I don't see how Bolden can make the squad. Too many guys that can play ST's that can also play a position. We have too many viable running backs to keep him as a backup.....

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It does, but I'm think maybe we see more HT come down on the edge with the addition of Harris. Also reports are the Lengi has be strictly OLB during all of camp and before...Grisson has been taking all of the 1st team reps with Flowers on the other side. SO we got: Flowers, Ely, Grissom, Rivers. We also know that BB has no issues moving Brown, Branch to the edge. Also Guy can move outside too. I think we will be all set, but the vet leadership is a big one for me. It already seems like Ely fucked up, he had a sit down with Brady and Kraft today.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this thread title on the top of the main page, and swore it was going to be in the politics section. About veteran soldiers suffering from PTSD or something. lol