• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Va Tech basketball

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT basketball is doing so much better than I expected.

The fast break offense combined with a high scoring percentage is working.

Why is the free throw percentage so much higher than last year?

Erick Green is taking about 3x more free throws than anybody else and he's shooting 88.5%. So he's carrying the average (with the help of Eddie at 92%). The other main FT shooters (Brown, Wood, Raines) are below 75%.

Brown needs to get better. As a 2-guard and a great 3-pt shooter he has to be making more than 2/3rds of his free throws.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just an FYI, DMV located Hokies... I just bought 4 tix for Hokies @ MD off their site for $50 each, plus "processing" ($3.50 per... and a $3 fee for mother-cunting print-at-home tickets... as apposed to $7 for Will Call or Mail).

There are a few on StubHub for that much but these are better seats.

46, you in?

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Just an FYI, DMV located Hokies... I just bought 4 tix for Hokies @ MD off their site for $50 each, plus "processing" ($3.50 per... and a $3 fee for mother-cunting print-at-home tickets... as apposed to $7 for Will Call or Mail).

I was actually going to go to that game, but found out I've got something else going on. Comcast is a fun place to watch a game when their fans get going. I think our game should be a good one so it's worth a trip for those who can. It feels like Byrd when they suck though. Wish Cole Field House was still their venue.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Without Marshall Wood, is VT's season OVER?

How can they make it through the ACC games with 7 scholarship players? Can Barksdale stay out of foul trouble?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

46, you in?

I'll be going

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How can they make it through the ACC games with 7 scholarship players? Can Barksdale stay out of foul trouble?

TBH I have been more impressed with CJ and he has been more consistent and more efficient than Wood. This hurts us depth-wise, but I thought CJ's minutes should have increased anyway

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He hasn't been ruled out for the season. This is the same injury that has plagued us in the past. I read it was a different bone than the one Raines broke (which had him out for quite a long time). I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Fortunately no surgery required, but he will probably be out for first half of ACC play. We will probably see some smaller line-ups to make up for this. We can't afford to have JVZ, Raines, or Barksdale to get in foul trouble early like they have been.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I see smaller lineups with 3 guard looks (Rankin, Green, Brown on the floor at the same time) to help us out.

I could also see walkon Christian Beyer getting more minutes because he could really help us on rebounding. Will Johnston might get more minutes as well so we can give Rankin/Green/Brown a rest.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what is it with our team and the "injury bug" year after year?

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No different than most teams. VT's problem is that there is never any depth on the team, so a single injury has a great impact.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No different than most teams. VT's problem is that there is never any depth on the team, so a single injury has a great impact.

We've been a little less fortunate in the past than most teams. In one year didn't we have JT, Hudson, Chaney, and Raines all out for the season on top of random injuries? Our depth this season just happens to be so bad that 1 injury seemingly spells doom. Not good because you are very likely to get 1-2 injuries in a year.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That bracketology is honestly laughable. Look who is in. Florida State?!?! Losses to South Alabama and Mercer at home. BYU is their only somewhat notable win. UVA's loss to Delaware is almost as bad as our loss to GA Southern and they are in. Makes no sense.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
VT needs someone other than Green who can score, and the defense/rebounding needs to get better.

VT can't afford to leave three pointers unguarded. Just a little defense would go a long way.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Hokies are just short-handed. They don't have the depth, and they lost the quality players who would have served well as complements to Green.

I just have to wonder what would have happened had they kept Greenberg. Can JJ recruit some quality players for next year? I shudder to think of this team without Green.

mrjhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've lost 3 games in a row by 85 points now. If JJ doesn't slow it down the bloodbath is going to continue. We cannot keep playing bigger, deeper teams with Eddie and Brown jacking up quick misses and nobody rebounding. We will get murdered every time out that way. I know JJ wants to play up tempo but he doesn't have the personnel to do it. He needs to wait untill he does instead of embarassing the hell out of the team.

I might get blasted for saying this but here it goes. If this was my team and I only had one shooter then my offense would be designed around getting shots for my one shooter. I would use the entire clock if necessary to do it. This team is not going to outscore big deep teams like Maryland in a running match. They have way more shooters than we do, and they get all the rebounds. Our only chance is to limit the number of shots they get by taking less shots ourselves and having our best shooter shoot most of them when we can help him get a good shot off. In other words, a Pistol Pete Green offense.

Last edited by a moderator: