• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Va Tech basketball

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Rev Zeke close to Seth?

Or close to the program? Would make a big difference in his updates knowing the nature of his connections.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought Id drop by and tell you guys what to look for when you play my Hawks next week. Iowa is young ( only 1 senior, Eric May, who doesnt play much). Hawks are super deep and run a 10 man rotation. So far this year Iowa has struggled to make outside shots but has been pretty dominant in all other phases of the game ( although thats not saying much since their schedule has sucked). The 2 key players on Iowa are Devyn Marble and Aaron White. Both are 6'7 slasher type guys that can shoot it from the outside and get inside. Mike Gessell ( true freshman) starts at PG and has been good this year so far. Iowa poses ALOT of matchup problems for teams with 3 guys that can play 3-4 positions in the starting lineup but maybe the toughest matchup is Zach McCabe a 6'8 PF that spent most of last year playing center. McCabe is probably our best 3 point shooter as well so he creates alot of issues for teams as you cant really guard him with a big guy or a little guy. Iowas center is also a true freshman. 7'1 Adam Woodbury was a top 50 recruit and has been solid this year so far. Woodbury is limited offensively but he plays great defense and hustles a ton. Coming off the bench Iowa has some real athletes in the person of Melsahn Basabe ( leads Iowa in blocks) and May ( probably the best athlete on the team). Iowa also has a shooter by the name of Josh Oglesby who played great last year but struggled to a 1-13 start to the season on 3's before making 3-4 in the second half of the Gardner- Webb game. Iowa plays a pretty intense full court pressing style and forces alot of turnovers so you better have some good guards. All in all its Iowas best team in about 6 years ( thats not sayng much though). I think it should be an interesting game but Id probably say Iowa should be a 8-10 point favorite although we will know more after the Hawks next 2 games against Western Kentucky and Wichita State both of whom made the tourney last year.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks rmilia1, please join us the night of for the game week thread. We do 1 per week.

Sure man. I am SUPER intrigued to see what my Hawks can do these next 5 games. WKU, Wichita State, VT, Iowa State and UNI are all postseason caliber teams so I think if we can get out of those 4-1 Id be thrilled.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Rev Zeke close to Seth?

Or close to the program? Would make a big difference in his updates knowing the nature of his connections.

I believe Zeke is pretty impartial. He is a scout first and foremost, so I just listen to his opinions on players, whether he thinks they would fit at Tech, if they're being recruited, etc

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, rmilia... really had no clue where you guys stood this year before your post. Sounds like you will pose some match-up problems for us down low. So far, we've shot pretty well from beyond the arc. I could see whether our guards are hot or not being the difference in the game, since you all likely have the advantage down low. I think it will be a good game and a measuring stick for where each team stands this year.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, rmilia... really had no clue where you guys stood this year before your post. Sounds like you will pose some match-up problems for us down low. So far, we've shot pretty well from beyond the arc. I could see whether our guards are hot or not being the difference in the game, since you all likely have the advantage down low. I think it will be a good game and a measuring stick for where each team stands this year.

Iowa typically has defended the 3 pretty well since all of Iowas guards and wings are SUPER long. White and Marble in particular have like 7 foot wing spans so their recovery time is pretty quick. Also makes it tough to pass around the arc for teams since Iowa gets so many steals due to their length. That said the Iowa defense tends to get lazy and depend too much on their athleticism so a disciplined team with really good guards can usually exploit that.

Ray

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think we beat iowa, from all acounts i've heard they're not quite as good as you have them out to be. and with our experienced guys in green and eddie and raines, i think we'll be able to handle whatv=ever you guys throw at us, we do play in the ACC you know.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know who will be favored in the Iowa game, but it should be a good game. I don't think we've seen enough of either team to say who will be better this year. Both have some good talent, etc. but both have their flaws. We'll have to see who comes to play harder and who is hitting shots.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think we beat iowa, from all acounts i've heard they're not quite as good as you have them out to be. and with our experienced guys in green and eddie and raines, i think we'll be able to handle whatv=ever you guys throw at us, we do play in the ACC you know.

Well we will see. Honestly cant tell you a whole lot about either team with the level of competition they have played although Iowa just beat WKU last night in game they led by 8+ pretty much the whole way and tonight we get an unbeaten Wichita State in the finals of the Paradise Jam so a win there will set up a potential battle of unbeatens next week. Heres to hoping for that!!

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we will see. Honestly cant tell you a whole lot about either team with the level of competition they have played although Iowa just beat WKU last night in game they led by 8+ pretty much the whole way and tonight we get an unbeaten Wichita State in the finals of the Paradise Jam so a win there will set up a potential battle of unbeatens next week. Heres to hoping for that!!

Not sure what WKU brings to the table this year, but Wichita St is legit.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa led Wichita St by 2 at the half but ended up losing by 12. Shot a bad percentage (26.1%) and were significantly outrebounded. They did shoot well from 3 (8-15), but only scored 6 points in the paint vs. 30 for Wichita St.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa led Wichita St by 2 at the half but ended up losing by 12. Shot a bad percentage (26.1%) and were significantly outrebounded. They did shoot well from 3 (8-15), but only scored 6 points in the paint vs. 30 for Wichita St.

Yeah it was an ugly second half shooting wise. We cut the lead to 2 with a few minutes left but couldnt hit water if we fell out of a boat the alst 3 or 4 minutes so it was a L. Wichita is really solid though so not a bad loss but that makes 2 of our last 6 halves where we shot like 25%. Cant do that tomorrow or it will be another L.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn it, a game is finally going to be on TV, and fuck me i've got a meeting tomorrow night for work

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so this is kinda cool, the guy i share an office with just told me he got a call that at his son's basketball game tonight, there might be someone from UVA, VMI, ODU and VT there to watch him play

hokiecat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here's a really good analysis of the team/season so far:
Niemo’s Wild Turkey Breakdown | November|Tech Hoops

Great summary. I have been very impressed to coach Johnson and the team is fun to watch again. I got so sick of Seth's "offense" which seemed to be pass the ball around until there were 10-12 sec on the clock and then struggle to get off a decent shot. I was worried about running with the lack of depth, but it has worked well so far. It is a shame we lost DoDo and Montrezl. I think DoDo would have done a lot better in this offense and Harrell is doing very well at Louisville. Having just one of of those guys for depth up front would really help. But JJ is getting a lot out of the pieces that he does have. The comment about the improvement in Brown and Eddie is spot on. Those guys are playing more confident and immensely better.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
son's name?

rather not say at this point. his son transferred to a different school in the district and there is some big to do about if he is eligible or not, and he ended up not being able to play last night

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
VT basketball is doing so much better than I expected.

The fast break offense combined with a high scoring percentage is working.

Why is the free throw percentage so much higher than last year?