• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: UW @ Oregon State

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet another late game for the love of football. I'm so over the every game is a late game thing we have now.

We won't know until warm ups who the starting QB will be for UW. Price did practice on Thursday, but in an interview today he told Softy he isn't going to tip his hand on the results until game time. Will Miles get his first career start or will Price play? If it is Price at the helm is he going to be close enough to 100% to be of more value than Miles? Hell, can either of them play well enough on the road to get a win?

The problem here is Oregon State has actually done a better job against the run than the passing game and with Price out or not at 100% that hurts us no matter how good Miles is in the run.

On the other side UW is among the leaders in the Pac in passing defense, but will see two very tough passing teams over the next two games and that could change things for their rankings on that considerably.

There is no reason to really boil this thing down all that much. We know UW has a lot of talent and can show brilliance at times, but their road woes continue and the penalties keep piling up. There is no denying they have the talent to win this week, but can they play a complete game? Even with those penalties last week they would have probably still won without the turnovers. UW isn't in a position of having to play a perfect game anymore to beat good teams, however they can't give up cheap kick off TD's like the Stanford game, crap the bed on the lines like the ASU game, or give up not only 2 early turnovers, but also 11 major penalties in our last road game and expect to win. A turnover alone won't kill this team, but they can't keep having so many lapses in so many areas every game.

Both teams in this game have pride to play for if nothing else. State is on their own losing skid and we remember how desperate UW was to get off of theirs a few games back. UW can't afford to lose both of their last two games and not find serious problems in this recruiting class. Sark has to know it's time to shit or get off the pot.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The keys to a Husky victory are simple to me:

One of the PACs best passing attack (OSU) is going against one of the better pass Ds in the PAC. If the Huskies can limit the damage by Mannion and Cooks, we can be in business. Blitz the hell out of Mannion all game long. Sack him. Sack him. and sack him some more. Unleash the hell hounds on him. Lots of aloha via Kikaha at Mannion. Woof!!! Woof!!

Sankey. Lots of it. Give them the same treatment Stanford did with Gaffney.

Wether it's Price or Miles, take advantage of the OSU big weakness at pass D. Don't turn the ball over with stupid INTs, especially if the inexperienced Miles ends up starting. Unleash Stringfellow like last week. Attack!!! And Miles has those legs. Put them to use too.

This is a winnable game for us. Let's get this W. Go Dawgs!!!

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sark has said the starting QB will be a game time announcement.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This ones all about who scores the most points! Well, arent they all. :laugh3:

I'm seeing it as a shootout though, our first real one of the year. I don't see either team stopping the others strength consistently.

I have no faith in this team to win on the road anymore but on paper we should.

GO DAWGS!

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is it with the face guards of the Beaver's helmets? You have a white portion of the face guard that looks like an invitation to "Insert D!ck Here". Well, if that was their strategy, it's working.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, how do you break down a game that was this one sided?

Miles played well for his first start and it being a road game, but they didn't ask that much of him either. He did have a couple of down field passes, but you know Price would have had 3x times that. They had a pretty conservative plan and Oregon State just couldn't stop it.

I'm not taking anything away from Miles because you ideally don't ask more from young starters than you can get away with and this was the ideal landing for him. He did miss some rather routine screen passes, but also made some strong and accurate throws down field. We did see him fail to pull the ball down and just run a couple of times early again as well, but you know Sark will get that cleaned up.

Sankey, sankey, sankey. 179 yards is aways sexy, but to have that total again when he played barely over a full half is just another of a long line of examples of what a freaking stud he is. He has a lot of great days on sundays coming up soon. Too soon most likely.

UW ended up with 3 separate rushers getting over 100 yards and had the second most rushing yard total in school history. Oregon Stat's season rushing defensive numbers just dropped off the charts.

The defense was strong the entire game until it was pure garbage time. Ducre did give up a few catches, but it didn't hurt them. Peters was having a crazy crazy game. Picks, pass break ups, tackles. It was his big night. Kihaha was a force in this game as well.

They got that 7th win out of the way and now it is off to the Apple Cup. We can hope that now that Leach's pirates are bowl eligible already that they have less incentive to bust out a big game against us.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We dominated all 3 phases. o, d, and st.

Clean game with few flags.

Miles played a solid game. Not easy for anyone to make their 1st start on road. He did awesome.

Our Dline played lights out. Kikaha and Shelton tonight. Wow.
Backfield? Double wow.

Run and pass game rolled tonight.

A night where this team showed its full potential.

Can't complain about anything. It was complete domination.

Go Dawgs!

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty shocked that we rolled into their house and just messed them all up like that.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty shocked that we rolled into their house and just messed them all up like that.

Yes I agree, that was a straight up old fashion "slober knocker" of a game. It was a serious must win for the Dawgs, but the way the coaching staff kept the game plan as basic as you can get it, running the ball, a strength for this team, and the defense, finally got push up front from the front four, solid game....

Don't want to be the "debbie downer here" but they need to finish the season just like last night, for this season to be labeled good, they need the Apple cup win and they need to win the bowl game.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every dawg should be happy about that game and how we performed. Maybe the best stat was the penalties. UW had 4 penalties for 43 yards and while 3 of them were still the stupid self inflicted wound types (hands to the face and unsportsmanlike conduct) 4 is a lot less than they have had and is well below their season average. And they only had 4 on a game where they had the very worst ref in the Pac.

They played a clean game and had better ball control and those are things they can control.

What they can't control is how the other team plays and the results beg the question of just how bad was the opponent that day versus how much did our play add to the result. I mean this is the same team that got blown out by ASU and lost to a very middle of the road UCLA and yet have the most dominating performance that the team has had in more than 30 years. I mean UW hasn't beaten up on any FCS or garbage FBS team that bad at home over that span.

So I'm not sure how much we can take away from this game outside of the reduced penalties, better ball control, and Miles playing well in the limited things they asked of him. Not sure this would qualify as getting the road win monkey off our backs considering how little resistance the other side put up.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm not sure how much we can take away from this game outside of the reduced penalties, better ball control, and Miles playing well in the limited things they asked of him. Not sure this would qualify as getting the road win monkey off our backs considering how little resistance the other side put up.

I think you take this win and you build off of it, sure it doesn't promise fans they'll never lose on the road again, but it should build their confidence, and that's what matters. I do believe it's a coaching thing, players need to understand that winning on the road is want defines you as a player and as a team.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you take this win and you build off of it, sure it doesn't promise fans they'll never lose on the road again, but it should build their confidence, and that's what matters. I do believe it's a coaching thing, players need to understand that winning on the road is want defines you as a player and as a team.

The win is big for the program. Don't get me wrong. Reaching 7 before the apple cup helps calm down the fans a bit and probably helps as they are out on the recruiting trail. It showed what can happen when the team clicks in all 3 phases. It is always easier for the coaches to use a win to build off of than to try and use a loss to motivate or teach. There is a lot of upside to winning this game.

All I was saying is I'm not sure we saw anything that makes me believe this team has taken some kind of step and now should be seen as a slam dunk for the apple cup and their bowl.

We got a sneak peek at next year with Miles at the helm and we reached the magic 7 win mark. I wouldn't say the road woes are vanished because of it and that's all I was saying.

Price will likely play the last two games and we have a lot riding on those games. Two more wins and Sark should be able to continue to add to his recruiting class.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, definitely didn't see this one coming. I wasn't sure UW was even going to make this one a contest let alone actually finally kill a Pac team on the road. It's pretty cool but I've forgotten how I'm supposed to react to this kind of win, heh. We'll see if they can keep it going into the Apple Cup. The Cougars have a dangerous team and the last thing UW needs is a repeat of last year.

ida one

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
what i seen of the game it looked like Washington didn't have any problems with OSU.

What was the final score?

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what i seen of the game it looked like Washington didn't have any problems with OSU.

What was the final score?

69-27

But all of the beavers points save 6 came in complete garbage time. They scored all of theirs in the 4q and other than the 6, UW had 2nd and 3rd stringers in all over the place.