• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UW 2014 season

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW opens as 21.5 point favorites for their opening game in Hawaii.

Holy crap that is a lot of points for a team with so much youth and question marks at some key positions on the road.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure not dropping any cash on that line. I'm sure they do win, but 22 is a lot.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Petersen was interviewed during a PAC12 conference coaches call the past week. Highlights included:

Petersen said the quarterback race entering fall camp in August will be “wide open.”

“So our quarterback situation coming into fall camp, I don’t know,” he said. “It could change depending on Cyler’s situation. We have two guys right now; we have Troy Williams and we have Jeff Lindquist. Both guys did a really good job in the spring, getting better each day and learning the nuances of our offense.”

Asked if there was a No. 1 quarterback, Petersen said, “We don’t have one. I think it’s always easier when you do, when you’ve got a guy and a returning starter or a clear-cut guy who you feel like he’s the guy. … But both those guys made a case for themselves this spring, but we’re still wide open on this deal.”

Asked specifically about what redshirt freshmen stood out this spring, Petersen mentioned four guys: RB Lavon Coleman, CB Jermaine Kelly, LB Keishawn Bierria and QB Troy Williams.

Pac-12 coaches will hold their annual meeting next week in Phoenix and Petersen said he’s anxious and excited to participate for the first time. He was asked about this friendship with Oregon coach Mark Helfrich, which dates back to their days together on the Ducks’ staff in the mid-1990s.

“We used to be friends,” Petersen said. “No, I’m just kidding. … Mark’s a great guy and he’s one of these guys I’m excited to go down there and talk to (next week).”

Helfrich had reached out to Petersen at times last year when Helfrich was making the transition from Oregon’s offensive coordinator to head coach.

“I think it was pretty seamless,” Petersen said. “This is such a competitive busiess we live in, it’s such a hard job coming out of the gates, but I think he did a great job. I do think that. No question the Oregon program is in great hands with him and the assistants that have been there for a long time. That’s why they’ve won and that’s why they’ll continue to do good things.”

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Petersen was interviewed during a PAC12 conference coaches call the past week. Highlights included:

Petersen said the quarterback race entering fall camp in August will be “wide open.”

“So our quarterback situation coming into fall camp, I don’t know,” he said. “It could change depending on Cyler’s situation. We have two guys right now; we have Troy Williams and we have Jeff Lindquist. Both guys did a really good job in the spring, getting better each day and learning the nuances of our offense.

Asked if there was a No. 1 quarterback, Petersen said, “We don’t have one. I think it’s always easier when you do, when you’ve got a guy and a returning starter or a clear-cut guy who you feel like he’s the guy. … But both those guys made a case for themselves this spring, but we’re still wide open on this deal.”

Asked specifically about what redshirt freshmen stood out this spring, Petersen mentioned four guys: RB Lavon Coleman, CB Jermaine Kelly, LB Keishawn Bierria and QB Troy Williams.

Pac-12 coaches will hold their annual meeting next week in Phoenix and Petersen said he’s anxious and excited to participate for the first time. He was asked about this friendship with Oregon coach Mark Helfrich, which dates back to their days together on the Ducks’ staff in the mid-1990s.

“We used to be friends,” Petersen said. “No, I’m just kidding. … Mark’s a great guy and he’s one of these guys I’m excited to go down there and talk to (next week).”

Helfrich had reached out to Petersen at times last year when Helfrich was making the transition from Oregon’s offensive coordinator to head coach.

“I think it was pretty seamless,” Petersen said. “This is such a competitive busiess we live in, it’s such a hard job coming out of the gates, but I think he did a great job. I do think that. No question the Oregon program is in great hands with him and the assistants that have been there for a long time. That’s why they’ve won and that’s why they’ll continue to do good things.”

That's a interesting comment about Myle's getting a shot to start again if it gets that far.
Think he might of set the table there for the return of Myles...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe in the future he'll open up more spring and fall practice sessions, but I can totally understand why he wanted to keep things very closed right now. The guy made a monster career move coming here and doesn't want to fail or move this program in a backwards direction.

The combine day is a nice idea to get some fan interaction with a HC whose going to be way more low key than the previous guy. I think the

Have a lot of faith in our coach. But I know he's going to be overly careful this year. And that's fine.
I think Coach Petersen could be one of our great all-time coaches, but 2014, we got a lot of culture change going on.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with closed practices and less information coming out. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

When it came to this 'first annual' combine day at first I was thinking it was cool and then I sort of thought about it and wondered what the purpose really is. I mean they will get times and distances etc of all the kids and it is a sort of competition, against themselves if no one else. Still having it open to the public could make it more interesting even if there is no real clear cut purpose in terms of improving the team or their skills.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posting from phone cut a bit of that last post off.

Agreed. Fine with the more closed practices. I don't care.

There is going to be a lot of anticipation this summer. I have lots of faith that our new coaching crew is going to do a great job. The PAC is really cranking right now so lots of competition and work to be done. Feels arm racy at times.

Exciting times, even if it comes with some nerves. Go Dawgs!!!

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW players DE Hau'oli Kikaha and DT Danny Shelton have been named to the Lott IMPACT Trophy Watch list.

This award is given annually to the defensive player who has the biggest “impact” on his team -- impact being an acronym for Integrity, Maturity, Performance, Academics, Community and Tenacity.

Anthony Barr was the 2013 winner.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gawwwwd.

UW receiver John Ross averaged a 4.29 second 40 during his two attempts at the UW combine event today.

Go Dawgs!!!!

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C Mike Criste has also been added to the Rimington watch list. The Remington trophy is awarded to the nation's top Center.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just that we assumed he was going to be declaring for the NFL draft this year and wondering how well his foot will heal since a lisfranc is a serious injury for any athlete, but Kasen Williams will be on the 2014 roster for this season, and if healthy, could be an important contributor to the passing game.

This was an interesting writeup from sports writer Jeff Bell about PAC players who could be big surprises for 2014:

Call it a bounce-back season, call it a breakout year or just call it a pivotal next seven months in the life of Washington wide receiver Kasen Williams. Whatever description works best for you is fine, but Williams will surprise everyone in 2014 by returning to his sophomore year form, which saw him tally over 800 yards receiving.

His 421 as a junior was a far cry from that mark, and despite missing the team's final five games, Williams clearly wasn't the same player. In the seven games that he saw the field, he never surpassed more than five catches. Compare that to the nine times he had more than five grabs in 2012, and you can see that the Huskies' top pass-catcher just wasn't right.

At 6'2", 216 pounds, Williams is a physical receiver with surprising speed. He can catch passes and shake off defenders better than most, and he has the strength to win almost any one-on-one matchup. That rarely occurred last fall, but Williams has to be entering his final season as a Husky with a renewed focus.

He is a future NFL receiver, but unless he bounces back and plays to his abilities, he won't ever see the field on Sundays. Look for Williams to surprise us all and provide a major boost to Chris Petersen's offense in the head coach's first season at the helm.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another boost to the WR corps is that DiAndre Campbell will be back as a 5-year senior as well.

6 months ago, he was probably heading out the door. He was part of the seniors being recognized as those who would be leaving during a ceremony before the Apple cup.

Campbell is now an officially declared 5th year senior for 2014. He was a double major in political science and communications and has been named one of UW's Athletic Scholars of the Year. He will be graduating this month, but will be attending post-degree classes during the fall season.

:suds:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just that we assumed he was going to be declaring for the NFL draft this year and wondering how well his foot will heal since a lisfranc is a serious injury for any athlete, but Kasen Williams will be on the 2014 roster for this season, and if healthy, could be an important contributor to the passing game.

This was an interesting writeup from sports writer Jeff Bell about PAC players who could be big surprises for 2014:

Call it a bounce-back season, call it a breakout year or just call it a pivotal next seven months in the life of Washington wide receiver Kasen Williams. Whatever description works best for you is fine, but Williams will surprise everyone in 2014 by returning to his sophomore year form, which saw him tally over 800 yards receiving.

His 421 as a junior was a far cry from that mark, and despite missing the team's final five games, Williams clearly wasn't the same player. In the seven games that he saw the field, he never surpassed more than five catches. Compare that to the nine times he had more than five grabs in 2012, and you can see that the Huskies' top pass-catcher just wasn't right.

At 6'2", 216 pounds, Williams is a physical receiver with surprising speed. He can catch passes and shake off defenders better than most, and he has the strength to win almost any one-on-one matchup. That rarely occurred last fall, but Williams has to be entering his final season as a Husky with a renewed focus.

He is a future NFL receiver, but unless he bounces back and plays to his abilities, he won't ever see the field on Sundays. Look for Williams to surprise us all and provide a major boost to Chris Petersen's offense in the head coach's first season at the helm.

I think its pivotal for his career, with Stringfellow out of the picture, there is gonna be a serious need for the "sure hands " at wide out, they need that go to guy on 3rd and 7....

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh I agree that this is going to be a big year for Kasen. Not only is he a very gifted receiver, but his football and situational IQ are off the charts. With String and ASJ gone he is going to get a lot of the workhorse downs in the passing game. They have a lot of speed options and that will be exciting, but they need 1,000 yards out of KW if they are going to have any kind of a chance this season. Anything over 800y will be good, but without that other big time receiver on the other wide out side anything under 1k and it's going to be hard to find that 10th win out there.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you going to now start trolling us on our own board? Really?

Thought team boards were supposed to be devoid of trolling and taunting by rivals or anyone else not of your own base.

Well unless you are a mod? :whistle:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kickoff time and television arrangements for two more early-season UW football games were announced today as the Pac-12 Conference unveiled the schedule for the first three weeks of the 2014 season.

Washington's home opener Sept. 6 vs. Eastern Washington will get underway at 12:00 noon PT and air live on the Pac-12 Networks.

The following Saturday, Sept. 13 vs. Illinois, the Huskies will kick at 1:00 p.m. PT, with the game airing on FOX television.

The start time of the Huskies' season opener at Hawai'i on Aug. 30 had already been determined by the Mountain West Conference. That game will kick off at 5:00 p.m. PT/2:00 p.m. HT and will be broadcast on CBS Sports Network.