• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USA vs Portugal

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally home and able to post. Emotional game to say the least.

Here are my thought:

- I can't believe you all sat here watching the game with OD posting in this thread. That guy is fucking clueless and one of the worst on Hoop.

- For the casual (or non) soccer fan, I think you got a chance to see that the US can play with the best in the world. Portugal is 3rd in the FIFA rankings. There really wasn't much between the two teams at all. Also, you should appreciate Tim Howard. He is a top 3 goalie in the world.

- Aside from Cameron playing like absolute dick, the back line played one of the best games I've ever seen them play. I was pumped seeing the outside guys step in front of passes, go into challenges hard, not get beat. For 88 minutes, it was great.

- Where did this version of Jermaine Jones come from?

- The tie sucks, but we're still in good shape. I hope this doesn't get in the guys heads. They need to show up and get a result against Germany.

- Jurgen is the best coach we've ever had.

- Hey Germany, how about we tap the ball at kickoff and all 22 just walk off the field? Cool?

How awesome is it to have a coach who has a fucking clue what a tactical move is?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder how hard Germany will push.

Germany is in the same boat we're in. They need a result to advance too. The game will undoubtedly start slow. Only takes one slip to drop a goal and wind up not advancing. I expect it to be nil-nil at half, but they're going to be looking for a result just the same as we are.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such a good point on Jermaine Jones, I could not stand the guy and lately he's been all world, more important and effective than Bradley. There is a reason I sit on a couch, I clearly don't know shit. Fun to chat bout however.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Germany is in the same boat we're in. They need a result to advance too. The game will undoubtedly start slow. Only takes one slip to drop a goal and wind up not advancing. I expect it to be nil-nil at half, but they're going to be looking for a result just the same as we are.

Thing is, a tie gets us both what we want.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How awesome is it to have a coach who has a fucking clue what a tactical move is?

It's finally like we have some direction with the program, and I love it. There's been drastic improvement in his short tenure.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With goal differential, Germany is just fine. They would need ghana to win by 4 to not advance. So does a loss really affect them?

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, a tie gets us both what we want.

I'm all in on that.

- Hey Germany, how about we tap the ball at kickoff and all 22 just walk off the field? Cool?

I think the game starts very slow, neither team will want to blow it, but Germany is a team that will (rightfully so) think they can win, and will be hungry

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With goal differential, Germany is just fine. They would need ghana to win by 4 to not advance. So does a loss really affect them?

It really doesn't, but they're not the team that is going to rollover or play for a tie, by any means

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such a good point on Jermaine Jones, I could not stand the guy and lately he's been all world, more important and effective than Bradley. There is a reason I sit on a couch, I clearly don't know shit. Fun to chat bout however.

I was in your camp too. Never been a Jones guy. He, Johnson, and Yeldin are all guys I am pretty excited about now.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what is the US formation and approach against Germany? I'm thinking same formation, but we can't sit back and absorb like Italy. We're not built like that. The best thing we can do is possess the ball as much as possible and hold our shape. Go forward, but not committing too many men forward.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what is the US formation and approach against Germany? I'm thinking same formation, but we can't sit back and absorb like Italy. We're not built like that. The best thing we can do is possess the ball as much as possible and hold our shape. Go forward, but not committing too many men forward.

I called the 4-5-1 today. I'd be shocked if it wasn't the same for Germany. We possessed TONS better than vs Ghana, and we'll need that for sure against the Germans. No need to press with 2 up top. We were able to put plenty of chances together today, and save for Cameron, the back line played fantastic.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Jermaine Jones goal look better and better every time I see it

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly, that was the whole point to Jurgen building and evolving US soccer. However, losing is one thing, but goal differential is another. Plus, Germany's backs are their weakest link (relatively speaking). If this was ItLy, I'd say pack it in, flop with them and drag it out. Germany is a different animal, must pisses to limit their chances. Really wish we had Altidore, but I think he's a long shot to even return for the next found if we advance.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Jermaine Jones goal look better and better every time I see it

I can't watch as I reached my sports allotment for the day (all WC on all the time) and it hurts too much.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of young talent on this team. 2018 may be a special year.

Tons of talent, and Jurgen will obviously continue to be on the lookout for more. We're going to have a good core in 2018. I think the biggest question for me is who is the next Bradley. Center mids have always seemed to be tough to find for us. I remember watching Bradley play with the U-17s and I knew he was going to be special, but I have no idea who that guy is now. Who's going to be our 10?

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I called the 4-5-1 today. I'd be shocked if it wasn't the same for Germany. We possessed TONS better than vs Ghana, and we'll need that for sure against the Germans. No need to press with 2 up top. We were able to put plenty of chances together today, and save for Cameron, the back line played fantastic.

I also have to think our flanking against Ghana would have given them fits, but we opted to go defensive. I really like Fabian and even Beasley making deep runs. Helps open up so much space and possession. Stick with it and get after it.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to like these numbers:

Odds to advance:

Germany 99.70%
USA 80.03%
Ghana 14.81%
Portugal 5.46%

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to like these numbers:

Odds to advance:

Germany 99.70%
USA 80.03%
Ghana 14.81%
Portugal 5.46%

Appears getting a goal and not losing by more than one is the ticket....

3-2 would do just fine, means ghana has a lot of scoring to do. Portugal would have no shot.