• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USA vs Portugal

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's crank this up. :usa:

Its USA vs what many call "Ronaldo + 10".

Portugal is weakened by the suspension of its best defender, Pepe, and injuries to Fabio Coentrao and Huge Almeida.

After the disastrous game against Germany, they have more to lose in this game than the US does. Portugal desperately needs this W. USA can still be in business with a draw.

Some keys to the game:

Is Ronaldo at 100%? Even if not, he's still one of the best players on the planet. The Germany game displayed he isn't at 100%. Still expect plenty of double teams to contain him.

Not only do you have to limit Ronaldo, you got to limit the ability of them feeding him the ball. Possible that the guy who will be tasked with that a lot during the game is Joao Moutinho, who plays a very similar role to what Michael Bradley does for the US. Disrupt him and that limits Ronaldo.

With Pepe out and Ronaldo pretty much worthless when it comes to D, USA needs to blitz them all game long. When Dempsey scored early in Ghana, they seemed to step off the gas way to early. Attack them like Germany did all game long.

With Altidore out, what's the plan of attack? Play Dempsey as the single striker? Or do a pair of Dempsey with Johannsson or Wondolowski? I figure Klins will go with some sort of 2 striker attack.

Give um a ton of Dempsey up the middle all game long.

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!!!

Kid Vicarious

FearLes
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's crank this up. :usa:

Its USA vs what many call "Ronaldo + 10".

Portugal is weakened by the suspension of its best defender, Pepe, and injuries to Fabio Coentrao and Huge Almeida.

After the disastrous game against Germany, they have more to lose in this game than the US does. Portugal desperately needs this W. USA can still be in business with a draw.

Some keys to the game:

Is Ronaldo at 100%? Even if not, he's still one of the best players on the planet. The Germany game displayed he isn't at 100%. Still expect plenty of double teams to contain him.

Not only do you have to limit Ronaldo, you got to limit the ability of them feeding him the ball. Possible that the guy who will be tasked with that a lot during the game is Joao Moutinho, who plays a very similar role to what Michael Bradley does for the US. Disrupt him and that limits Ronaldo.

With Pepe out and Ronaldo pretty much worthless when it comes to D, USA needs to blitz them all game long. When Dempsey scored early in Ghana, they seemed to step off the gas way to early. Attack them like Germany did all game long.

With Altidore out, what's the plan of attack? Play Dempsey as the single striker? Or do a pair of Dempsey with Johannsson or Wondolowski? I figure Klins will go with some sort of 2 striker attack.

Give um a ton of Dempsey up the middle all game long.

Klinsmann is going to earn his pay check this game! He'll have it figured it out tho. 4 defenders on Ronaldo and still having the option of Dempsey with two other guys to support, this is just what the suits have said anyway. I'm not going to lie, i have no idea how that works but I BELIEVE WE WILL WIN!

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
<---- fucking psyched.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Germany did a good job of denying Ronaldo the ball. We need to do the same.

Don't be shocked if we play 5 in the middle with Bradley pressing and 2 defensive mids behind him

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To start. I'm sure Wondo will come in eventually

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't really compare or utilize German tactics on Ronaldo or The Portuguese team.... They have talent like no other team in the world and can effectively implement so many varying strategies to neutralize an opponent.

The US needs to do what Jurgen has preached since 2011, possession while moving forward. Against Ghana the US failed at this only to play Classic American soccer with guts and win. This will not work against Portugal. Possess, create chances, finish a few. If you limit Ronaldo you force the entire team to shift out of their comfort zone and the game will get easier for us. But if you let them have the ball like Ghana, we are toast.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We saw what one great player is capable of doing for a team watching Argentina yesterday, but at the end of the day it takes a team to win a game with this much importance. We have the better team.

Let's go out and show the world that we deserve that spot in the knock out round. No easy ins anymore for any teams in this group of death, each nation is going to have to earn it.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we win tonight are we guaranteed to move onto the round of 16?

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of nervous. Even with all of the injuries and absences, I think Portugal is better than we are. I think we have a significant shot at winning or tying, but it's going to be a lot more difficult than most on here think IMHO.

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of nervous. Even with all of the injuries and absences, I think Portugal is better than we are. I think we have a significant shot at winning or tying, but it's going to be a lot more difficult than most on here think IMHO.

Then why have the majority of the media outlets been saying that the team is Ronaldo +10 other guys. That is pretty much saying after Ronaldo they don't have much. Feel free to correct me on this, but that's what I take from that statement.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Portugal is nothing special. Outside of Ronaldo the only players I really know are Nani & Pepe

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why have the majority of the media outlets been saying that the team is Ronaldo +10 other guys. That is pretty much saying after Ronaldo they don't have much. Feel free to correct me on this, but that's what I take from that statement.

I disagree with that statement. Portugals only internationally recognized superstar player is Cristiano Ronaldo. They also have Joao Moutinho and Raul Meireles in the midfield who are both very solid in the central midfield. I think the portugese midfield is more talented than ours is. Nani is a very good player as well who can get behind the defense and cause problems. Mani and Ronaldo will keep our defense on their toes and our outside mids tracking back to help. Pepe and coentrao are probably their best defenders, but the rest of the portugese defense is not Swiss cheese. Anyone who thinks Portugal is Ronaldo plus 10 are incredibly short sighted. We have a chance in this game, don't get me wrong, but I still think Portugal is/should be favored to win.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Portugal is nothing special. Outside of Ronaldo the only players I really know are Nani & Pepe

This statement absolutely screams ignorance. You only know three players on the whole roster, but that's enough for you to make a decision about the quality of the whole team?

If Portugal had this same logic they'd say The USA is nothing special. They've only heard of 2 or 3 of our players and only Dempsey and Bradley have achieved middling success in any significant European league.

Last edited by a moderator:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This statement absolutely screams ignorance. You only know three players on the whole roster, but that's enough for you to make a decision about the quality of the whole team?

If Portugal had this same logic they'd say The USA is nothing special. They've only heard of 2 or 3 of our players and only Dempsey and Bradley have achieved middling success in any significant European league.

Tim Howard is one of the best goalies in the premier league and it's been that way for years now.

I hope they look at us like that. It means they can overlook us which is better for us

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Howard is one of the best goalies in the premier league and it's been that way for years now.

I hope they look at us like that. It means they can overlook us which is better for us

Well I doubt they are at all. This is a win or go home game for them. They have their backs against the wall. I think Portugal is a very dangerous team to be playing right now. Their World Cup life and their personal pride as players are on the line and I think well be getting their A game.