• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UPDATED 1/10/2013 10:30PM: Offensive coaching staff for next year

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
La Tech apparently turned down their bowl invitation. I wonder if that has anything to do with potential staff changes there.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
La Tech apparently turned down their bowl invitation. I wonder if that has anything to do with potential staff changes there.

Woot! Fire Stiney tomorrow and get Franklin on board!

Chances of that happening: 0.01 %

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Louisiana Tech Bulldogs, 9-3, won't go to bowl game - ESPN

They only got one bid, for the Independence Bowl, but wanted more time to make a decision since they wanted to explore other options. But, the bowl officials didn't want to wait, so La Tech sad no, thinking they would get other offers, but they didn't. Don't think any of this had anything to do with potential coaching changes there.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
btw, a co-worker of mine, who has a tsl account said that the message boards over there were saying that VT was in pursuit of one of the baylor OC's, anyone heard anything about this?

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If VT can't get good offensive linemen or turn what they get into good ones, then I think the only option is to go to the spread. I almost wouldn't be surprised to see a drastic overhaul like that. The coaches see first hand what it's done for UNC and Clemson so I think they might go all in with the spread

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw, a co-worker of mine, who has a tsl account said that the message boards over there were saying that VT was in pursuit of one of the baylor OC's, anyone heard anything about this?

We have 0% chance of pulling in a Baylor coach. All of Baylor's offensive coaches have deep roots in Texas and have ties to Art Briles.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beamer should hire Andy Reid for OC when he gets fired this year! That would be freaking aweeeesome.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I read on twitter that, according to the LaTech AD, Sonny Dykes was waiting to hear back from Cal. Obviously, NC State is taken care of. I've heard that Butch Jones is a likely candidate for Boston College (but who the fuck would want that job?).

On a brighter note, if Kirby Smart ends up at Auburn, that's one less thing we have to deal with in the Georgia Dome next September (though Nick Saban is the mastermind of that defense).

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How about Chris Malone for OL coach?

Chris Malone Biography - JMUSports.com—Official Web site of James Madison University Athletics

I think that Todd Washington could probably help recruiting a lot more, at least near term.

Only constructive comments fooz .. keep your "he's another jmu coach so he must suck" comments to yourself :)

The thing that would suck is Beamer would be failing once again to go outside his comfort zone of the VT/Beamer fambly. It's always about the state of Virginia or the VT/Beamer fambly with his hires. How about looking at everybody and anybody to get the best possible candidate for a change? That's what I want

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't disagree with that .. but Beams is a hard one to crack.

I'd prefer that our new offensive coordinator make the choice of OL coach ... who can teach the blocking fundamentals that are important to their particular offensive scheme/style. Don't hire a coach who is an expert at zone blocking schemes when your offensive style doesn't "naturally" fit that scheme.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Andy Bitter ‏@AndyBitterVT
Frank Beamer asked if any coaching changes coming. "Right now, our attention is the bowl game." #Hokies

If this was definitely a no, CFB would've said ... No

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wait until after the bowl/signing day? Sure guys like Newsome may be the lead recruiter for some guys, but those guys certainly aren't coming to VT b/c they are dying to play for Newsome!

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wait until after the bowl/signing day? Sure guys like Newsome may be the lead recruiter for some guys, but those guys certainly aren't coming to VT b/c they are dying to play for Newsome!

Signing day is Feb 6th... The Bowl is Dec 28th. I'm not sure we're going to land anyone because we fired our offensive coordinator (or others) now rather than in a few weeks... in fact, I think the very opposite would be true. I'd rather change staff for the betterment of the offense, not for recruiting reasons. The risk/reward of firing someone before the season is done (technically not, unlike UVa) is not worth it.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

On the other hand, why announce the changes now if the position isn't filled and the coaches on the way out are agreeable to tow the party line? That's basically what happened two years ago. For example, Coach X could announce "retirement" or "explore other interests" after the new guy's already unloading the UHaul in Blacksburg, contract effective tomorrow. Kind of unnatural that a normal program or coach would delay public announcements like that, but again look at the last guys out.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing that VT may be getting some Hoo blood on the staff after the bowl game.