• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UPDATED 1/10/2013 10:30PM: Offensive coaching staff for next year

iv_hokie12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What will it look like gents. This is the way I see it.

Option 1 is the exact same staff.

Option 2 is minor tweaks. For example, fire Newsome. Make Stinespring OL coach. Make O'Cain OC. Give Sherman tight ends. Make Shane special teams coach. Bring in a new Running backs coach.

Option 3 Shane either moves to Special Teams coach or Ga State head coach. We fire the entire offensive staff and bring in a new OC with his own staff. The problem with that is that I don't see who we could bring in that is good, keeps recruiting relationships, wants to do a traditional ball control offense ala Bama, Florida, LSU, Or even the Brain Kelly version of the spread and we could actually afford. Only thing I can possibly think of......whoever the Pitt OC is?

Last edited by a moderator:

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What will it look like gents. This is the way I see it.

Option 1 is the exact same staff.

Option 2 is minor tweaks. For example, fire Newsome. Make Stinespring OL coach. Make O'Cain OC. Give Sherman tight ends. Make Shane special teams coach. Bring in a new Running backs coach.

Option 3 Shane either moves to Special Teams coach or Ga State head coach. We fire the entire offensive staff and bring in a new OC with his own staff. The problem with that is that I don't see who we could bring in that is good, keeps recruiting relationships, wants to do a traditional ball control offense ala Bama, Florida, LSU, Or even the Brain Kelly version of the spread and we could actually afford. Only thing I can possibly think of......whoever the Pitt OC is?

I'm sure we could pull someone from some MAC schools. Northern Illinois, Troy, Utah State, or even a Nevada if we manned up and put the $$ out there. All of those schools are top 30 offenses this year and they all still run the ball some if not a lot. Pulling a big name would be hard.

I'm guessing #2 being most likely, #1 2nd, # 3 least likely but most preferred

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing I can possibly think of......whoever the Pitt OC is?

Pitt's OC is their HC Paul Chryst.

I am a fan of somebody that brings in some new blood and a flair about them. I love what Chip Kelly is doing at Oregon with his "win the day" stuff. I think you have a certain way that you carry yourself throughout the year it carries over on the field. Relationships are nice, but kids want to play for programs that are going places. If we have a staff that shows that they are capable of putting an efficient, exciting product on the field I think we will be just fine in terms of recruiting.

I am a huge Tom Herman fan and I think with enough reasons to make the move he would at least consider the chance to run his own offense again after being the watchdog for Urban this past season. I think he is a fantastic coach that is absolutely on the rise.

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fridge, but I hear he doesn't like to recruit. I also like Walt Harris.

Can't have Harris in the same building as Bud. Walt would scare him. I've never seen a coach own Bud's defense the way Walt did.

hokiecat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hope for option 3 with option 2 being my second choice. I've been watching the Hokies for 25 years now and this was a pretty pathetic year. I mean the offense was a wreck. And it has been the weakest link for most of a decade. This isn't the Ricky Bustle offense that was putting up a ton of points back in the day. Stiney and O'Cain just to bizarre stuff. Scales has been the most consistent back and the only real North South runner that we have. But he has been buried on the depth chart while we run JC and Gregory on horizontal plays. And we run Logan more than anything else.

I think we will still recruit VA well even with a staff change. Its the Hokies versus crazy Mike London. And there have to be some kids who see the play-calling being as odd as I do and they decide maybe the devil we don't know will be as good or better than Stiney and O'Cain.

Start with the offensive staff which has been the perennial weak link. I like Fridge. But the issue with him and Walt Harris is we are talking more old guys rather than new blood.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just was listening to Bill King and he thinks our offensive issues are all around players not executing and not the "Blueprint" Beamer has instilled within the program. He also went to say that Beamer is pretty much too old now to make the necessary shakeups at VT with leveraging more offensive-minded coaches.

What a kick in the jimmy....

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ohhh please please please Option 1!!!!

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree -- the problem is execution ... but it's rampant and such large scale offensively, it still falls back to the coaches. As far as the offensive line -- that is total bullshit. Most of our lineman are mammoths and strong as a bull but they're getting pushed around Austin fucking Peay? Please -- their technique stinks, they're being asked to block five different ways, and they're not that motivated it seems (no mean streak) << that falls back to coaching.

Our receivers not performing, not blocking ... Not doing something to "motivate" them to be better -- falls on the coaches.

We need coaches who have big old nut-sacks, with a fire in their belly, who will flat out chew your ass OUT when you're out there half-assing it and not getting it done ... more coaches like Bud Foster. I agree -- I want some new blood.

Dude's a demon -- but I love Will Muschamp's fire

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I heard or read somewhere that Newsome's players, meaning his O-line, really liked him. I think you should almost hate your coach because of what he puts you through

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard or read somewhere that Newsome's players, meaning his O-line, really liked him. I think you should almost hate your coach because of what he puts you through

Not defending Newsome here, I would like to see a change there like most of you, but....

What you are saying is that when you go to work everyday that you should absolutely hate your boss?? That your boss should drive you into the ground and push you so hard that you absolutely have to work your ass off just to keep up and make him happy. If your boss doesn't do this, he is not a good boss, if you do not hate him when you leave, you are not a good worker. When you hate your boss, you will be even more motivated to work your ass off for him.

I may be in the minority here, but that makes no sense to me.

There is nothing wrong with liking your boss. I like mine ALOT. He is good to me and treats me with the respect that I (and everyone) deserves. He doesn't push or micromanage. In return I do as good a job as I possibly can for him. Because he deserves that from me.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not defending Newsome here, I would like to see a change there like most of you, but....

What you are saying is that when you go to work everyday that you should absolutely hate your boss?? That your boss should drive you into the ground and push you so hard that you absolutely have to work your ass off just to keep up and make him happy. If your boss doesn't do this, he is not a good boss, if you do not hate him when you leave, you are not a good worker. When you hate your boss, you will be even more motivated to work your ass off for him.

There is nothing wrong with liking your boss. I like mine ALOT. He is good to me and treats me with the respect that I (and everyone) deserves. He doesn't push or micromanage. In return I do as good a job as I possibly can for him. Because he deserves that from me.

Your boss sounds like Coach JJ, and my understanding is that Fooz is saying Newsome is like a Wade Phillips/Norv Turner "player's coach" so no one respects him anymore, they sort of just do as they please. They're opposite ends of the spectrum, and what it sounds like to me is we need more fire and accountability in a coach. He doesn't have to be "harsh" per say, but it better not be like the situation we have now.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Ok I'll put it this way...whatever Newsome is doing is wrong

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Has anybody noticed anything close to the level of poor clock management that Beamer has shown this year in previous years? I think he screwed up in 3-4 games. I wonder how his mind is and if his responsibilities have decreased or stayed the same. With the talk of him being too old for changes maybe now is the perfect time for him to bring in new offensive coaches and hand over the reigns completely. If he is messing with the offense now he could let that go and concentrate on whatever

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually get what Fooz is trying to say about Newsome. When I played football we had a coach who would push us hard, call out our mistakes, and just get so fired up he would push a guy out of the way to get in there and show them how to do it right. We loved that part of him. We all knew he was working us to get the best out of us. He didn't verbally abuse us or mistreat us but damn if he didnt work our asses into the ground. We liked him but we went into practice knowing it was going to be rough and he wouldn't let us just go through the motions. We worked our asses off for him because he was out there working his ass off to make us better. What it does is break you down from thinking. You get so tired, so intense that you cant think, you react. You play faster when that happens. It becomes instinct and you just go to the right position. It also creates accountability among the players. If I am right about what I think Fooz was trying to say but just worded it wrong, then I agree 100%.

We liked this coach. We respected him and thats why we worked as hard as we did. Not in fear but respect for him and for each other.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anybody noticed anything close to the level of poor clock management that Beamer has shown this year in previous years? I think he screwed up in 3-4 games. I wonder how his mind is and if his responsibilities have decreased or stayed the same. With the talk of him being too old for changes maybe now is the perfect time for him to bring in new offensive coaches and hand over the reigns completely. If he is messing with the offense now he could let that go and concentrate on whatever

At least he's not Mike London lol :wtf:

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I actually get what Fooz is trying to say about Newsome. When I played football we had a coach who would push us hard, call out our mistakes, and just get so fired up he would push a guy out of the way to get in there and show them how to do it right. We loved that part of him. We all knew he was working us to get the best out of us. He didn't verbally abuse us or mistreat us but damn if he didnt work our asses into the ground. We liked him but we went into practice knowing it was going to be rough and he wouldn't let us just go through the motions. We worked our asses off for him because he was out there working his ass off to make us better. What it does is break you down from thinking. You get so tired, so intense that you cant think, you react. You play faster when that happens. It becomes instinct and you just go to the right position. It also creates accountability among the players. If I am right about what I think Fooz was trying to say but just worded it wrong, then I agree 100%.

We liked this coach. We respected him and thats why we worked as hard as we did. Not in fear but respect for him and for each other.
If that was what was meant, I can agree With that..as long as a coach points out the positives too...when this translates to success on the field and winning, players start to get that...but if a coach isn't a figure that a player cares about pleasing, the coach is usually not gonna be very effective...bud foster seems like a great balance with this..hell of a fucking ball coach...

Regarding Beamer and his in game decisions..some of them have been questionable no doubt