• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

University Of Arizona basketball (bribes) LOL

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you were true and blue. I just have pent of feelings about all the history of success you guys have had and it is just fucked up. Same goes for KY, USC, Auburn, ect... I get it. But I do not live 1.3 hours away from them either. I trashed talked Pitino already. So, again Bobby has a clean nose. I know it.

You hope that Bobby has a clean nose, like I hoped when the programs of Pitino, Williams, Larry Brown, Boeheim, etc. were all dirty, that Miller/AZ couldn't also be dirty. Again, the truth is, you have no idea if Bobby has a clean nose.

Furthermore, I can understand your frustration with AZ success and now you find out the program is dirty, that you would want to talk shit, especially being our rival school. And again, I would refer you to all the Bama fans that had to eat their words talking shit about Auburn. It's all fun and games until the FBI comes knocking at your team's door.

Bottom line is that the FBI is going to blow the lid off this, and the sport--in its entirety--is going to pay for it, regardless of the other programs yet to be named. Those who also talk shit about their rivals (like Bama fans) and find out their program is dirty, are about to eat their words. And even if their program is clean, what does it say about whole conferences, and the state of the sport overall? Neither are laughing matters.

I'm no longer an AZ bball fan, so talking shit about AZ doesn't mean shit to me anymore. I just think it's ridiculous that so much is left to be uncovered, and pretty much everyone is treating this like their program just has to be clean, and would rather talk shit than think about the probable implications of this whole mess.

Hell, I heard some UCLA fans lining up to talk shit about AZ and USC, and then it came out that Jay Williams' firm paid Kevin Love $250K back in '09 when they went to the Final Four.

What about Sendek, are you sure he was clean? How did he get Harden? I'm not implying that Sendek was dirty because I have no idea. That being said, you also can't imply that Sendek was clean, because you have no idea.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You hope that Bobby has a clean nose, like I hoped when the programs of Pitino, Williams, Larry Brown, Boeheim, etc. were all dirty, that Miller/AZ couldn't also be dirty. Again, the truth is, you have no idea if Bobby has a clean nose.

Furthermore, I can understand your frustration with AZ success and now you find out the program is dirty, that you would want to talk shit, especially being our rival school. And again, I would refer you to all the Bama fans that had to eat their words talking shit about Auburn. It's all fun and games until the FBI comes knocking at your team's door.

Bottom line is that the FBI is going to blow the lid off this, and the sport--in its entirety--is going to pay for it, regardless of the other programs yet to be named. Those who also talk shit about their rivals (like Bama fans) and find out their program is dirty, are about to eat their words. And even if their program is clean, what does it say about whole conferences, and the state of the sport overall? Neither are laughing matters.

I'm no longer an AZ bball fan, so talking shit about AZ doesn't mean shit to me anymore. I just think it's ridiculous that so much is left to be uncovered, and pretty much everyone is treating this like their program just has to be clean, and would rather talk shit than think about the probable implications of this whole mess.

Hell, I heard some UCLA fans lining up to talk shit about AZ and USC, and then it came out that Jay Williams' firm paid Kevin Love $250K back in '09 when they went to the Final Four.

What about Sendek, are you sure he was clean? How did he get Harden? I'm not implying that Sendek was dirty because I have no idea. That being said, you also can't imply that Sendek was clean, because you have no idea.
I feel your pain and appreciate your words. I think the NCAA would have found something on Herb by now. He was dry, boring and to me a pretty stand up guy (very honest) I even witnessed him. He had a horrible career at ASU recruiting IMO.
He would sit his star players for drinking the night before or not abiding by team rules. So I really doubt it. Harden was not a big Nationally recruited guy either. I remember going to his high school game and I think there were a few recruiters watching him. Hurely? He is simply a competitor and I CANNOT see him doing that. BTW I am not accusing Sean Miller of anything. I will be ready to eat crow if necessary.
and fuck UCLA and USC. Signing off and I am actually glad you still think ASU vs UOFA is a rivalry.
And you have some ASU bball players on the Dodgers. You are welcome! I had a bad week when they swept us.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel your pain and appreciate your words. I think the NCAA would have found something on Herb by now. He was dry, boring and to me a pretty stand up guy (very honest) I even witnessed him. He had a horrible career at ASU recruiting IMO.
He would sit his star players for drinking the night before or not abiding by team rules. So I really doubt it. Harden was not a big Nationally recruited guy either. I remember going to his high school game and I think there were a few recruiters watching him. Hurely? He is simply a competitor and I CANNOT see him doing that. BTW I am not accusing Sean Miller of anything. I will be ready to eat crow if necessary.
and fuck UCLA and USC. Signing off and I am actually glad you still think ASU vs UOFA is a rivalry.
And you have some ASU bball players on the Dodgers. You are welcome! I had a bad week when they swept us.

And I would have thought the NCAA would have found something on Book too, but they didn't. The FBI did. And any way we want to cut it, Harden was a hell of a recruit catch in HS. He was around a top 20 recruit, right behind Blake Griffin, and ahead of Jerryd Bayless. And he ended up at ASU, where their next best recruit that year was around #100.

Again, we can all say that so-and-so seems like a good guy, or doesn't coach like someone who is trying to get an edge, but actually, no one knows anything. I could have said the same things about Book and Miller as you say about Sendek and Hurley, but none of us actually have any idea.

I get that you don't think ASU did anything wrong, and they might very well be clean. But to base that on how much you think someone is dirty or clean doesn't mean anything. Of course most people will say they can't see their program being dirty. Fans of AZ, OSU, Auburn, and USC would have said the same thing. Like you can point out all the reasons Sendek didn't cheat because he didn't have success, but what success has Auburn, Bama, or OSU really had?

We can say that our program is clean because we want it to be clean, but it's all a guess, and a bunch of us are or will be sadly mistaken.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I would have thought the NCAA would have found something on Book too, but they didn't. The FBI did. And any way we want to cut it, Harden was a hell of a recruit catch in HS. He was around a top 20 recruit, right behind Blake Griffin, and ahead of Jerryd Bayless. And he ended up at ASU, where their next best recruit that year was around #100.

Again, we can all say that so-and-so seems like a good guy, or doesn't coach like someone who is trying to get an edge, but actually, no one knows anything. I could have said the same things about Book and Miller as you say about Sendek and Hurley, but none of us actually have any idea.

I get that you don't think ASU did anything wrong, and they might very well be clean. But to base that on how much you think someone is dirty or clean doesn't mean anything. Of course most people will say they can't see their program being dirty. Fans of AZ, OSU, Auburn, and USC would have said the same thing. Like you can point out all the reasons Sendek didn't cheat because he didn't have success, but what success has Auburn, Bama, or OSU really had?

We can say that our program is clean because we want it to be clean, but it's all a guess, and a bunch of us are or will be sadly mistaken.

Harden signed with Arizona State most likely because Sendek hired his former high school coach a year before Harden was set to graduate, which is a common occurrence in today's college basketball. I don't think anything shady was involved in him going to ASU. And Harden's really good friend and teammate was also committed to ASU. Plus Harden didn't really pop on the national stage until his junior year of high school. It was just one of those things where timing worked out perfectly for them.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I think of Herb Sendek, I don't think of dirty coach. I think of a guy that was a chew toy for Carolina, Duke and Wake for a decade.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I think of Herb Sendek, I don't think of dirty coach. I think of a guy that was a chew toy for Carolina, Duke and Wake for a decade.
When i think of Sendek, I think of the short guy off The Princess Bride.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lonely in the basement huh? Is it all dark and spooky, or have you livened the place up a bit? You know, so you can get all comfy.
Who has been to more FF's, Hopkins or Miller?

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harden signed with Arizona State most likely because Sendek hired his former high school coach a year before Harden was set to graduate, which is a common occurrence in today's college basketball. I don't think anything shady was involved in him going to ASU. And Harden's really good friend and teammate was also committed to ASU. Plus Harden didn't really pop on the national stage until his junior year of high school. It was just one of those things where timing worked out perfectly for them.

I get what you're saying about Harden, but he was still one of the best 3 SGs in his class. I remember he had things all but wrapped up with ASU, and there could very well not be anything shady with Sendek or Harden. But he was the best recruit ASU's had since I've been alive. And I get that Sendek hired his old coach, and that happens. So does paying HS coaches as handlers, so who knows?

And my larger point is that people assuming that their program is clean and talk shit, really have no idea if they're full of shit or not. ASU has had two coaches recently, and so both, either, or neither could be dirty. That doesn't seem like solid ground to stand on if I'm talking shit.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who has been to more FF's, Hopkins or Miller?

I'm not going to stick up for Miller, or AZ, but UW basketball is a complete failure of a program. With the population support of a city the size of Seattle, the resources of the university, and the recruiting base that they enjoy, to not be able to get to the EE, even once (in anything close to modern basketball) is an utter disappointment.

That's all I can think of when a UW fan wants to talk shit about basketball.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to stick up for Miller, or AZ, but UW basketball is a complete failure of a program. With the population support of a city the size of Seattle, the resources of the university, and the recruiting base that they enjoy, to not be able to get to the EE, even once (in anything close to modern basketball) is an utter disappointment.

That's all I can think of when a UW fan wants to talk shit about basketball.
Meh, UW has never been a basketball school so the resources haven't been allocated that way in the past. Disappointment, maybe but nowhere close to a complete failure.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, UW has never been a basketball school so the resources haven't been allocated that way in the past. Disappointment, maybe but nowhere close to a complete failure.

Really? UW has had the whole PNW for their choosing for decades with the biggest university and the largest metropolis north of SF, and coughed it up to Gonzaga and Oregon. They walked right by you and you have absolutely nothing to show for it but a couple of S16s? All those draft picks and bailed recruits and you guys couldn't do absolutely any better? UW has the second longest drought in the Pac of going to an EE, and you barely beat out Wazzu, doing it from Pullman. Pullman. Corvallis beat you out, and so did Spokane. Eugene. Tucson. Boulder, SLC: all of these places with so much less than has been available to UW every year, and you guys can't put shit together. Ever. Your most recent success sits right next to the year you guys won the Pac and missed the dance.

Tempe is a disappointment, Seattle is a travesty. But call it what you want.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes you are correct. It takes the fun all out of it for sure. I take that back about Harden being "not a standout national recruit" You know I already knew that based on my comments from the ESPN days. I just do not want to believe it that he was paid or bribed in anyway I guess.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying about Harden, but he was still one of the best 3 SGs in his class. I remember he had things all but wrapped up with ASU, and there could very well not be anything shady with Sendek or Harden. But he was the best recruit ASU's had since I've been alive. And I get that Sendek hired his old coach, and that happens. So does paying HS coaches as handlers, so who knows?

And my larger point is that people assuming that their program is clean and talk shit, really have no idea if they're full of shit or not. ASU has had two coaches recently, and so both, either, or neither could be dirty. That doesn't seem like solid ground to stand on if I'm talking shit.

Oh yeah no doubt he was an elite high school prospect by the time he was making his college decision and graduation. My guess is that since they went the route of hiring his high school coach the chances they got him because they gave Harden money is extremely unlikely. There was too many other circumstances surrounding his recruitment that makes is less likely they did something shady to get him. Harden still speaks very highly of his high school coach, who is now the Head Coach at Rice.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes you are correct. It takes the fun all out of it for sure. I take that back about Harden being "not a standout national recruit" You know I already knew that based on my comments from the ESPN days. I just do not want to believe it that he was paid or bribed in anyway I guess.

Oh yeah no doubt he was an elite high school prospect by the time he was making his college decision and graduation. My guess is that since they went the route of hiring his high school coach the chances they got him because they gave Harden money is extremely unlikely. There was too many other circumstances surrounding his recruitment that makes is less likely they did something shady to get him. Harden still speaks very highly of his high school coach, who is now the Head Coach at Rice.

Again, I'm not saying that Harden was bought, or that Sendek (or Harden's HS coach) were dirty. I'm just saying that we actually don't know shit. We can guess, we can hope, we can map it logically, but the FBI is about to surprise a lot of fans. That's the point. Bama fans talked shit about Auburn until they found out that they were dirty. UCLA fans jumped all over USC (and AZ) until they found out that Love was bought in '09.

Instead of people talking shit only because they don't want to believe their program is dirty, they should probably let the dust settle and find out for sure. Then, by all means, say whatever you want--assuming you are okay with the state of CBB when the FBI is done. Until then, all people are doing by talking shit is setting themselves up to eat their words like the Bama and UCLA fans (who talked shit) have had to do.

Just to be clear, Sendek and Hurley may very well be clean. But Hurley hired an Adidas marketing rep to coach and recruit, and that's only been in his first couple years, with Sendek's tenure also to be determined. If I'm an ASU fan, I'm waiting for the FBI to clear me before I go roast other programs. Because if anyone asked me 3 months ago, I would have bet the farm that Miller (as an extension of Book) was clean, that AZ didn't need to throw money at kids to bring them to McKale, and that with Miller's family integrity in the game, the passion of the AZ fans, and his responsibility to Lute's legacy (as he still comes to the games), that there is no way Miller or his staff would jeopardize that. Miller said when he first got to Tucson that he didn't need to do near the recruiting he thought. He said that AZ recruited for itself, and that recruits just wanted stability at the head coach position. The weather, the fans, the facilities, the NBA drafts and success in the conference and March, seemed that there was no reason to do anything shady. It just didn't make any sense to me. Well, good thing I didn't stand on that as a soapbox to trash other programs because I would have eaten those words. Me saying "I just can't believe (for X,Y, or Z reasons) that AZ is dirty" wouldn't have meant shit in the light of the truth.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? UW has had the whole PNW for their choosing for decades with the biggest university and the largest metropolis north of SF, and coughed it up to Gonzaga and Oregon. They walked right by you and you have absolutely nothing to show for it but a couple of S16s? All those draft picks and bailed recruits and you guys couldn't do absolutely any better? UW has the second longest drought in the Pac of going to an EE, and you barely beat out Wazzu, doing it from Pullman. Pullman. Corvallis beat you out, and so did Spokane. Eugene. Tucson. Boulder, SLC: all of these places with so much less than has been available to UW every year, and you guys can't put shit together. Ever. Your most recent success sits right next to the year you guys won the Pac and missed the dance.

Tempe is a disappointment, Seattle is a travesty. But call it what you want.
It sounds like you are more passionate about UW basketball than UW itself. I'll say it again for you, UW has never been a basketball school. I'm just happy that the basketball team floated us through the worst stretch in football history for the university.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like you are more passionate about UW basketball than UW itself. I'll say it again for you, UW has never been a basketball school. I'm just happy that the basketball team floated us through the worst stretch in football history for the university.

You are in a basketball thread; you realize that right? Notice how you never see me on the football boards? Because I couldn't give a fuck about football. So with regard to basketball, UW is shit for what they should be. As a basketball fan, and particularly a fan of the Pac, I am passionate about the fact that UW is sitting on a shitload of potential for the conference and shits the bed every year compared to that potential. And while that happens, some UW fans (like yourself) talk shit.

If you want to have a discussion about UW basketball, I can do that. I have commented on UW threads about how much I see in your basketball program, and how much I would like to see it actualized.

But right now, you are on a basketball board talking shit with one leg still in football for you to fall back on. If you are going to come on the basketball boards to talk shit, then say it standing on your shit basketball program.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are in a basketball thread; you realize that right? Notice how you never see me on the football boards? Because I couldn't give a fuck about football. So with regard to basketball, UW is shit for what they should be. As a basketball fan, and particularly a fan of the Pac, I am passionate about the fact that UW is sitting on a shitload of potential for the conference and shits the bed every year compared to that potential. And while that happens, some UW fans (like yourself) talk shit.

If you want to have a discussion about UW basketball, I can do that. I have commented on UW threads about how much I see in your basketball program, and how much I would like to see it actualized.

But right now, you are on a basketball board talking shit with one leg still in football for you to fall back on. If you are going to come on the basketball boards to talk shit, then say it standing on your shit basketball program.
Actually I figured it was in a general Pac12 board, so my bad on that. I do spend most of my time on the football side of things, and flippin shit is a little more common over there.

As for a serious note on UW basketball, I am very very hopeful that for the first time in my life, UW has an actual basketball coach. Someone that teaches players how to actually play the game and not just throw the most talented guys on the team out there and have them run around and make plays. As successful as Romar was, for UW standards, his teams didn't play real basketball.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I figured it was in a general Pac12 board, so my bad on that. I do spend most of my time on the football side of things, and flippin shit is a little more common over there.

As for a serious note on UW basketball, I am very very hopeful that for the first time in my life, UW has an actual basketball coach. Someone that teaches players how to actually play the game and not just throw the most talented guys on the team out there and have them run around and make plays. As successful as Romar was, for UW standards, his teams didn't play real basketball.

Kind of a left turn, but I see your mixup and appreciate the clarification.

In general, I agree with you. Romar was trying to play west coast run and gun without the ability to coach past talent (that his recruiting abilities enabled him to get). I can appreciate the style of ball he ran, but he wasn't effective at being the upper tier coach that he put UW in the position to need, in order to take the next step. Props on him bringing you to where you are, but he should have been replaced about 5 years ago.

Hopkins has a lot of potential but it being his first coaching gig, I must hold off on any predictions. I hope he gets 4-5 years to prove himself, and keep some of those recruits in Seattle. His zone will fuck with the Pac almost as much as the FBI will, so I can see him having some success early, even before he gets all his own guys. Once he settles in and has his own guys, and the Pac can adjust to his zone, it will be interesting to see how it bears out. I do think he is a better X and O guy, and it will be interesting to see how he does against the Pac, and how he manages all of the other aspects of being a HC.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I'm not saying that Harden was bought, or that Sendek (or Harden's HS coach) were dirty. I'm just saying that we actually don't know shit. We can guess, we can hope, we can map it logically, but the FBI is about to surprise a lot of fans. That's the point. Bama fans talked shit about Auburn until they found out that they were dirty. UCLA fans jumped all over USC (and AZ) until they found out that Love was bought in '09.

Instead of people talking shit only because they don't want to believe their program is dirty, they should probably let the dust settle and find out for sure. Then, by all means, say whatever you want--assuming you are okay with the state of CBB when the FBI is done. Until then, all people are doing by talking shit is setting themselves up to eat their words like the Bama and UCLA fans (who talked shit) have had to do.

Just to be clear, Sendek and Hurley may very well be clean. But Hurley hired an Adidas marketing rep to coach and recruit, and that's only been in his first couple years, with Sendek's tenure also to be determined. If I'm an ASU fan, I'm waiting for the FBI to clear me before I go roast other programs. Because if anyone asked me 3 months ago, I would have bet the farm that Miller (as an extension of Book) was clean, that AZ didn't need to throw money at kids to bring them to McKale, and that with Miller's family integrity in the game, the passion of the AZ fans, and his responsibility to Lute's legacy (as he still comes to the games), that there is no way Miller or his staff would jeopardize that. Miller said when he first got to Tucson that he didn't need to do near the recruiting he thought. He said that AZ recruited for itself, and that recruits just wanted stability at the head coach position. The weather, the fans, the facilities, the NBA drafts and success in the conference and March, seemed that there was no reason to do anything shady. It just didn't make any sense to me. Well, good thing I didn't stand on that as a soapbox to trash other programs because I would have eaten those words. Me saying "I just can't believe (for X,Y, or Z reasons) that AZ is dirty" wouldn't have meant shit in the light of the truth.

Obviously we'll never know if Harden was bought or not, but it shouldn't come as a surprise why he ended up there, and should lessen the doubt, especially because that particular high school coach is a very good coach, and not some "good recruiter". If he was strictly a "recruiter" he currently wouldn't be the head coach at Rice, just my opinion.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously we'll never know if Harden was bought or not, but it shouldn't come as a surprise why he ended up there, and should lessen the doubt, especially because that particular high school coach is a very good coach, and not some "good recruiter". If he was strictly a "recruiter" he currently wouldn't be the head coach at Rice, just my opinion.

:deadhorse:
Eric, I never said once that Pera was just some good recruiter, or strictly a recruiter. I am not accusing Harden of being bought or surprised that he went to ASU.

I'm saying that as an ASU fan, fork should make sure his program is clean before talking shit. I'm not accusing, suggesting, doubting, or implying anything about anyone. I'm saying that fans need to question their own programs and see what the FBI finds before talking shit. I asked questions about Hurley, his staff, and the players they go after, and I did the same with Sendek. I asked those questions only because fork just assumed that ASU is clean. All I was trying to do was to ask the questions that he should be asking before he talks shit. That's it.

You're getting stuck on Harden because I simply asked how Sendek got him. I completely understand the context of his recruitment, and in no way am I making any other inferences about him, Pera, or Sendek. I am simply saying it's all worth questioning, and that fork can't assume that ASU, Sendek, or Hurley are clean just because he hopes they are clean.