• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: UK vs. UConn

4/7...UCONN vs. UK...who ya got?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
find one person on this site that thinks Mike Miller and Frank Kaminsky's basketball similarities go beyond:
1) White
2) Tall
3) Can shoot threes

Then i'll bow down to you

Hey Runeman it doesn't seem like anyone is coming out to support your theory...

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think UConn's coach is overrated tbh.. This reminds me of the year Duke and Uconn beat Butler..

Agreed.... he inherited much of his player base from Calhoun and most expected him to bolt to be a life-long assistant in the NBA.

One good year and now you are a great coach?

Our society is screwed up.

This is like when I won salesman of the year my 1st year out of college... I called on Home Depot. Home Quarters / Hechinger closed under bankruptcy so my sales tripled that year because all those contractors needed somewhere to buy their supplies and switch to Depot (and this was before Lowes was even that big)... does that mean I am a genius in my role? Nope... right place right time never hurts.

Now long-term I have paid off... but who knew then?

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated UConn all yr. I have no clue how they turned it around so fast

I don't think they turned it around... the field is just very level this year and their is a fine line between good stretches and bad stretches... UCONN picked the right time and got the right matchups to play well. They are still capable of getting blown out... same for UK.

I think there are literally 15 teams this year that could have won it if they get the right matchups and a few good games.... but no teams that were just that dominant.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UConn just took advantage of horrible performances by Florida and MSU.. This probably was one of the weaker years for college basketball in terms of dominating teams.. If I'm a fan of MSU or Florida, I would be pissed off at losing to one of the weaker UConn teams.. It's amazing how Shabazz was such garbage when he ruined Andre Drummond's year..

Last edited by a moderator:

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bump-492x240.png

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UConn just took advantage of horrible performances by Florida and MSU.. This probably was one of the weaker years for college basketball in terms of dominating teams.. If I'm a fan of MSU or Florida, I would be pissed off at losing to one of the weaker UConn teams.. It's amazing how Shabazz was such garbage when he ruined Andre Drummond's year..

As a Florida fan, I am not too shocked... we have a history of guards trying to do too much in the big games and losing it all by themselves. Lat couple of years it was Irving Walker and Kenny Boynton taking really bad shots down the stretch... Wilbekin did a much better job overall this year but got sloppy in the UCONN game and looked terrible. Finney-Smith missed everything he shot even when he was wide open in that game which was unusual... and Frazier just isn't aggressive enough just like Billy has said. Add to that our teams inability to shoot free throws which is absurd this day in age... and it wasn't unexpected. And Kasey Hill, as good as he is in the open court, can't shoot a jumper to save his life so hopefully he works on that during the off season.

Our offense was just too inconsistent this year...

Next year should be interesting, that is for sure.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I can't really decide what to do with UConn if they win.

In terms of Championships, it puts them tied with Duke @ 4 which is pretty rarefied air, but UConn doesn't have the longevity (yet) that I would typically associate with the bluebloods. But then again, I may see it differently than a lot of people.

Personally, I think when you're talking bluebloods, longevity is almost as important as Championships. It's not just about success, but sustained success. UCLA sometimes gets a bad rap for being a one trick pony, but Harrick also won in the 90's and UCLA is also one of the most recent schools to go to 3 consecutive Final Fours so they've stayed pretty good over the years, but if you look at the other programs up there, Kentucky, UNC, Indiana... they sustained success over multiple decades. Yeah, they've all had a couple of down years (who hasn't) but they've all been pretty successful in terms of making deep tourney runs regularly. If IU doesn't get their shit together, they may be in danger of losing their blueblood status but I think the rest are pretty safe.

I think another Championship puts UConn squarely in the 2nd tier (which sounds like an insult until you look at the company they're in) which is teams like Duke, Kansas, Louisville, Michigan State. They all have managed to stay prominent and win multiple championships under multiple coaches. (Except Duke, but they were making Final Four runs long before K ever showed up) Incidentally if Duke had even 1 Championship prior to K, I think they'd be a lock for the top tier, but they really are the only program out of all the ones listed so far, to only win titles under one coach. If/when the next guy at Duke hoists another banner, then I say they're a lock for top tier.

Next tier down is where you have teams like Florida, Syracuse, Ohio State, Maryland, Arizona, and other teams that have at least one banner, and have generally been successful more years than not.

After that you can sort 'em out how ever you want.

I know a lot of people will be inclined to put Duke and maybe MSU in the top tier, and I wouldn't argue if that's how you want to define it, and a lot of people will want to put Florida up a level too, and I wouldn't have a big issue with that either. Like I said, this is just how I would define it and I like keeping the very top pretty exclusive, and I just don't think UConn is there quite yet.

I think of blueboods the same way, longevity. NCs in different eras with different coaches and continued success.

Some throw Duke in there but they are relatively modern as well (not as much as UCONN though). I agree with both your second and third tiers. Most people likely wouldn't agree with Kansas being second tier, a lot throw them in the blueblood category, more so than Duke.

I hear a lot of UCLA, UK, KU, Duke, IU, UNC as the blueboods.

If Duke gets there with a different coach sure, if UCONN is still winning in 20-30 years or Duke or Louisville they might replace Indiana. Who knows.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UConn women playing for an NC tomorrow night as well. Crazy

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My team went out in the Elite 8 so now it's time for UConn to beat the team that put my team out of the Elite 8.. Good luck to both teams. Go Huskies...

Smoke it if you got it.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Ownership Papers" don't transfer...

My team went out in the Elite 8 so now it's time for UConn to beat the team that put my team out of the Elite 8.. Good luck to both teams. Go Huskies...

Smoke it if you got it.

s'funny...I want whoever beats MY TEAM to win everything. Go Huskies!

pass it along, Bogey!

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck UK.....Fuck UConn. Fag ass bitches better come to play.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I like Calipari more than Kevin Ollie..

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
s'funny...I want whoever beats MY TEAM to win everything. Go Huskies!

pass it along, Bogey!

This here is a different situation, I flat out dont like KY so why should I cheer for them in the first place. UConn is who I want to win the NC.:nod: