• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: UK vs. UConn

4/7...UCONN vs. UK...who ya got?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough battle.

8 seed vs a 7 seed for all the marbles.

Pretty crazy. And a crazy matchup.

I'll take UConn for $500 Alex.

Last edited by a moderator:

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough battle.

8 seed vs a 7 seed for all the marbles.

Pretty crazy. And a crazy matchup.

I'll take UConn for $500 Alex.

At first glance, I like UConn. But who knows.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SHA

BAZZ

UCONN WINS 173-(-2)

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky opens up as a 2 point favorite.

O/U opens up at 133

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This matchup is basically everything that's wrong with college basketball.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This matchup is basically everything that's wrong with college basketball.

I may have agreed with you just a couple of years ago, but I can't really say that now.

UConn was one turd away from being a complete cesspool under Calhoun. Multiple NCAA violations, sanctions for recruiting, not to mention academics so bad that their best excuse was "Well you can't count Nate Miles against our APR because we expelled him because he violated an EPO relating to assault charges that had been filed against him." (which turned out to be a "lucky" break as the NCAA almost certainly would have vacated any wins involving Miles as he was the subject of the NCAA investigation in the first place, but he got expelled before he ever got a chance to play) Incidentally the NCAA didn't buy that excuse and still banned UConn from postseason play in 2013. (if I recall the year correctly) Who can blame them after Kemba Walker claimed after having "graduated" in 3 years that he had never read a book?

But since the old gasbag retired, Kevin Ollie seems to have righted the ship, and they have what appears to be a pretty good group of guys. Academics are back on track, all seems right with them.

Similar situation for UK. I don't recall them ever being on academic probation but they've certainly had their fair share of shady stuff in the past, though you have to go back pretty far (before any of these players were born) to find anything of substance. I don't particularly like Calipari as he strikes me as a bit of a phony (he kinda reminds me of Stephen Colbert in that he never really stops doing "the bit" and you never really get a genuine candid moment from the guy.) Maybe he really is just like that all of the time, but I tend to think that in public he'll talk about UK fans and grin and say "You people are crazy!" and when he goes home at night he looks at his wife and says "Those people are fuckin nuts!" And cries himself to sleep... on a huge pile of money... But aside from coming off as a bit phony, I don't really find anything awful about him either. I can question the guy's motives all I want,but at the end of the day, he's doing what he's paid to do (win games) and he's helping kids reach their dreams. I want basketball to be a "the way it was" as much as anybody, and in the big picture maybe the sport as a whole is more important that any one person's wants or needs, but I'll tell you one thing... I don't want to be the guy who has to look some kid in the eye and tell him "fuck you and your poor ass family. Stick around and play for 2 or 3 more years because some people you never met, living a life way more comfortable than you've ever experienced, think the purity of the sport is more important than your mom not having to figure out where her next meal is coming from." I wouldn't do that for two reasons, 1) I'm not that big of an asshole, and 2) Most of those guys are way bigger than me and would ruin my shit even if I phrased it much nicer. (Yes, I'm aware not all players and their families are poor, but a significant amount are, and I don't think they should be ignored)

...unless of course you meant that the whole idea of a single elimination sixty goddamn eight team tournament to crown the champion is complete and utter bullshit, as evidenced by 2 teams (seeded 7 and 8) with almost 20 losses between them playing for all the marbles, in which case, I completely agree with you.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a really long post. I meant that it's a program full of "student" athletes with a history of NCAA violations playing against a program that basically baby sits NBA players for 9 months while they fulfill their mandatory season of NCAA basketball.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a really long post. I meant that it's a program full of "student" athletes with a history of NCAA violations playing against a program that basically baby sits NBA players for 9 months while they fulfill their mandatory season of NCAA basketball.

I'll try to be more succinct this time.

UConn was a cesspool under Calhoun. Ollie seems to be running a pretty tight ship over there.

No point in judging the UK guys until after the leave. You never know who's going to stay and who's going to go, but yeah, I get your point.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't get negative about UK winning. I'm jealous because SU doesn't attracted that kind of talent. But beyond that...I have zero issue.

Name one school that wouldn't have taken Randall. And do we think Maryland would have kicked the Harrison twins to the curb? Hell no. Maryland wanted em bad.

UK and Cal seem to be a perfect match and I can't see that being a bad thing. It's not as if Randall and the Harrison's knocked on your door, you wouldn't take them. I'm not getting the hate for UK.

Btw....Tango...Congrats!

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy. First championship without a top-4 seed since seeding began. 1's, 2's and 3's almost always win the ship, one of them didn't even make the game.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one is quite different. Kentucky is just waaaay too big inside and if the Harrisons do less dribbling and more passing the ball, that should eliminate some turnovers. I really like that scrappy UConn team and Boatwright and Napier are definitely the best guard combination in CBB. Just feel that this one is just a little to steep of a mountain for UConn to climb. So far, I am 12 of 14 in the pick-em and UConn burned me both times...LOL... along with everyone else. I suspect some will take UConn for tomorrow's game.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one is quite different. Kentucky is just waaaay too big inside and if the Harrisons do less dribbling and more passing the ball, that should eliminate some turnovers. I really like that scrappy UConn team and Boatwright and Napier are definitely the best guard combination in CBB. Just feel that this one is just a little to steep of a mountain for UConn to climb. So far, I am 12 of 14 in the pick-em and UConn burned me both times...LOL... along with everyone else. I suspect some will take UConn for tomorrow's game.

Really? Nobody here knew that. Thanks for letting us know. As always, it proves you are the most knowledgeable about college basketball. It means your assessment of Frank Kaminsky being the same type of player as Mike Miller is one we should all just agree on since you are so great at coin flips!

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If UCONN wins tomorrow, they will have had 4 championships in 16 seasons.

That means UCONN will have won 25% of the NCs in 16 years.

Let that sink in....

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If UCONN wins tomorrow, they will have had 4 championships in 16 seasons.

That means UCONN will have won 25% of the NCs in 16 years.

Let that sink in....

Stud guards.

Khalid El-Amin (here Runeman, i'm sure you don't know who that is: Khalid El-Amin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Ben Gordon

Kemba Walker

Shabazz

4 incredible guards. Obviously with plenty of help (especially Gordon with Okafor) but it shows how important it is to have guards leading the charge like that.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Nobody here knew that. Thanks for letting us know. As always, it proves you are the most knowledgeable about college basketball. It means your assessment of Frank Kaminsky being the same type of player as Mike Miller is one we should all just agree on since you are so great at coin flips!

Just better at it than you...of course that's easy. You probably never watched Mike Miller Play. I have seen him play many games and being you know nothing regarding evaluating talent(57%), my opinion is correct and as usual, you GUESSED wrong again. I'm sure the man of your house is better. :laugh3: Have her give you some help tomorrow when she sends you out to play.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just better at it than you...of course that's easy. You probably never watched Mike Miller Play. I have seen him play many games and being you know nothing regarding evaluating talent(57%), my opinion is correct and as usual, you GUESSED wrong again. I'm sure the man of your house is better. :laugh3: Have her give you some help tomorrow when she sends you out to play.

find one person on this site that thinks Mike Miller and Frank Kaminsky's basketball similarities go beyond:
1) White
2) Tall
3) Can shoot threes

Then i'll bow down to you

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated UConn all yr. I have no clue how they turned it around so fast