• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: UK vs. UConn

4/7...UCONN vs. UK...who ya got?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now I think the consensus is UCONN is a borderline blueblood program. If they win this game they will have cemented themselves as a blueblood imo.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now I think the consensus is UCONN is a borderline blueblood program. If they win this game they will have cemented themselves as a blueblood imo.

Yeah, I can't really decide what to do with UConn if they win.

In terms of Championships, it puts them tied with Duke @ 4 which is pretty rarefied air, but UConn doesn't have the longevity (yet) that I would typically associate with the bluebloods. But then again, I may see it differently than a lot of people.

Personally, I think when you're talking bluebloods, longevity is almost as important as Championships. It's not just about success, but sustained success. UCLA sometimes gets a bad rap for being a one trick pony, but Harrick also won in the 90's and UCLA is also one of the most recent schools to go to 3 consecutive Final Fours so they've stayed pretty good over the years, but if you look at the other programs up there, Kentucky, UNC, Indiana... they sustained success over multiple decades. Yeah, they've all had a couple of down years (who hasn't) but they've all been pretty successful in terms of making deep tourney runs regularly. If IU doesn't get their shit together, they may be in danger of losing their blueblood status but I think the rest are pretty safe.

I think another Championship puts UConn squarely in the 2nd tier (which sounds like an insult until you look at the company they're in) which is teams like Duke, Kansas, Louisville, Michigan State. They all have managed to stay prominent and win multiple championships under multiple coaches. (Except Duke, but they were making Final Four runs long before K ever showed up) Incidentally if Duke had even 1 Championship prior to K, I think they'd be a lock for the top tier, but they really are the only program out of all the ones listed so far, to only win titles under one coach. If/when the next guy at Duke hoists another banner, then I say they're a lock for top tier.

Next tier down is where you have teams like Florida, Syracuse, Ohio State, Maryland, Arizona, and other teams that have at least one banner, and have generally been successful more years than not.

After that you can sort 'em out how ever you want.

I know a lot of people will be inclined to put Duke and maybe MSU in the top tier, and I wouldn't argue if that's how you want to define it, and a lot of people will want to put Florida up a level too, and I wouldn't have a big issue with that either. Like I said, this is just how I would define it and I like keeping the very top pretty exclusive, and I just don't think UConn is there quite yet.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went with the beer. I'm not going to lose sleep over who wins, but for sure would take a beer in a second. I think both programs are very goood. Beer is great.

I'll continue to put the cheer on for UK seens how I jumped on board with Tango a couple of weeks ago. Good Luck to you and the boys Tango.

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UConn...

TangoBlue

I'd cabeceo that cutie!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went with the beer. I'm not going to lose sleep over who wins, but for sure would take a beer in a second. I think both programs are very goood. Beer is great.

I'll continue to put the cheer on for UK seens how I jumped on board with Tango a couple of weeks ago. Good Luck to you and the boys Tango.

Thanks jonvi! I know it's hard for a lot of fans to even think positively about UK...but growing up as I did...with generations of family who cheered for UK, it was not even debatable as to my fandom...Big Blue now and always.

Problems.....no problem!

Thanks again......any support is greatly appreciated.:yes:

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I can't really decide what to do with UConn if they win.

In terms of Championships, it puts them tied with Duke @ 4 which is pretty rarefied air, but UConn doesn't have the longevity (yet) that I would typically associate with the bluebloods. But then again, I may see it differently than a lot of people.

Personally, I think when you're talking bluebloods, longevity is almost as important as Championships. It's not just about success, but sustained success. UCLA sometimes gets a bad rap for being a one trick pony, but Harrick also won in the 90's and UCLA is also one of the most recent schools to go to 3 consecutive Final Fours so they've stayed pretty good over the years, but if you look at the other programs up there, Kentucky, UNC, Indiana... they sustained success over multiple decades. Yeah, they've all had a couple of down years (who hasn't) but they've all been pretty successful in terms of making deep tourney runs regularly. If IU doesn't get their shit together, they may be in danger of losing their blueblood status but I think the rest are pretty safe.

I think another Championship puts UConn squarely in the 2nd tier (which sounds like an insult until you look at the company they're in) which is teams like Duke, Kansas, Louisville, Michigan State. They all have managed to stay prominent and win multiple championships under multiple coaches. (Except Duke, but they were making Final Four runs long before K ever showed up) Incidentally if Duke had even 1 Championship prior to K, I think they'd be a lock for the top tier, but they really are the only program out of all the ones listed so far, to only win titles under one coach. If/when the next guy at Duke hoists another banner, then I say they're a lock for top tier.

Next tier down is where you have teams like Florida, Syracuse, Ohio State, Maryland, Arizona, and other teams that have at least one banner, and have generally been successful more years than not.

After that you can sort 'em out how ever you want.

I know a lot of people will be inclined to put Duke and maybe MSU in the top tier, and I wouldn't argue if that's how you want to define it, and a lot of people will want to put Florida up a level too, and I wouldn't have a big issue with that either. Like I said, this is just how I would define it and I like keeping the very top pretty exclusive, and I just don't think UConn is there quite yet.

Fair assessment. I've been so busy wondering wtf just happened, I haven't thought about what it means for the program... The fact that Kevin Ollie is not Jim Calhoun has to give them a boost towards the top teir, but I would never confuse UConn with UCLA... I also think it gives thier new conference a major boost - and I feel a little bit sorry for the Big East...

And both team should be plenty happy just to be there. It doesn't really matter who wins.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took UK, the under, and MORE BEER!!

I will be happy regardless of who wins as long as we get a game that rivals last year's. I see pros with either team taking it down, as I am a Kevin Ollie fan and also think the UK frosh have gone through a lot this year and would be very impressed if they were able to complete this crazy run.

If it comes down to another last shot by Harrison, make or miss I would be very excited and satisfied with this year's tourney (besides not getting a second banner in McKale)

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated UConn all yr. I have no clue how they turned it around so fast

UConn has a good coach and he has helped these kids develop in to a better team since the start of the season.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am disappointed that Wisconsin is not in final, but as college basketball fan I think this will be a good game so looking forward to watching it.

Pulling for a good game rather than any of the teams to win. Would like to see another game that comes down to the wire and someone making a great play to win it.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patric Young was very tough on UConn inside; Kentucky bigs are waaaay too big and way to physical. For UConn to win this, Napier and Boatwright will have to play lights out creating turnovers. If the Harrisons don't dribble the ball around as did Wilbekin, and use their height to pass over the smaller UConn guards, I see Kentucky winning this by 8 plus points. Have to give it up to both teams as both teams earned their way to the championship game.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The green in me's rooting for UConn...

To prove their total dismantling of MSU & FLA wasn't a fluke...but

My gut says UK.

I'd like another beer please.

:suds:

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Patric Young was very tough on UConn inside; Kentucky bigs are waaaay too big and way to physical. For UConn to win this, Napier and Boatwright will have to play lights out creating turnovers. If the Harrisons don't dribble the ball around as did Wilbekin, and use their height to pass over the smaller UConn guards, I see Kentucky winning this by 8 plus points. Have to give it up to both teams as both teams earned their way to the championship game.

UK's inside game got a bit smaller. That's one big body to lose.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gimme the Huskies, and the points.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think UConn's coach is overrated tbh.. This reminds me of the year Duke and Uconn beat Butler..

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think UConn's coach is overrated tbh.. This reminds me of the year Duke and Uconn beat Butler..

I'm not sure what you meant but if were trying in any way to say that Brad Stevens was overrated then I just don't even know where to begin with that...